IGNORED

Flashback 2+ for preorder on Atari.com, get a free T-shirt

Some weird stuff going on with Atari right now I think.

Earlier this week they dropped the price on their iPhone games from $5 to $1, and I bought Centipede and Missile Command right away. The next day I went to buy Super Breakout - and all the Atari games were pulled from the Apps Store!

• Like 1

Generating "buzz" and having the potential to recoup millions of dollars in r&d/manufacturing/marketing are worlds apart. I follow classic computers all the time on Ebay.

It wouldn't cost millions of dollars to reproduce a special edition 65XEM. Hell, a few years ago, an amateur engineer [i forget her name] put the entire Commodore 64 on a single chip. And more recently, another amateur engineer made an Amiga 500 on a FPGA board.

Producing an 8-bit computer in today's market - even with such a limited run [of 1,000] - would cost a whole lot less than the last day Atari produced the XE line. For example, you can get a single brand new 6502 from WDC for $5.xx at full retail price.

This stuff is never going to happen. There isn't even an AMY chip; this was never produced. If I understand correctly, Curt's researching remaking GTIA (and other Atari custom chips) for potential use in some future Atari retro-device. Custom Atari chips that were real. What is the liklihood of anybody doing this for the AMY chip which was never produced? You think somebody's going to finish the AMY chip, then develop software for it??? Who would do this, why, and who would pay them for it? Seriously....??? The AMY thing was dead a long time ago, and we're out of that era entirely.

The AMY chip was finished [by an outside company]. Go Google it. I thought I had read a posting from Curt that someone else is running it in emulation mode at the moment. From the sounds of it, it would only need to be fabbed at this point. As I said before, a single 6502 at full retail is only $5. 2MB of memory is cheap. The only real cost besides the actual manufacturing of such a 65XEM would be the fabbed AMY chip. I doubt total costs would be above $50, and certainly not the ballpark estimate of $150.

Nostalgia sells....CHEAPLY. That's why the Flashback 2 stuff is $30 and the Plug&Play joysticks are less than $20. As well, the Plug&Play joysticks and the Flashback stuff are based off the 2600 - perhaps the only Atari product that truly had broad appeal (broad appeal means not a niche product - loads of people had one and EVERYBODY knew about it). So the P&P joystick and Flashback are CHEAP products with BROAD APPEAL. NOBODY is going to pay $150 for any nostaliga device - NOT EVEN CLOSE. After the next round of price cuts, the modern console systems will approach that price - with their HD graphics and all....

Ha! You don't think there isn't 1,000 Atari 8-bit fans online that wouldn't buy such a machine brand new at $150? Ha. As I said before, this would be a 1,000 run just to generate publicity for Atari. It had no illusions of being mass market. Furthermore, perhaps you should look up the cost of what the SIDStations went for just a year or so ago. Aside from Atari fans, the people snapping up such a machine would be musicians and chip tunes enthusiasts.

You should do some research - a feasibility study - into the cost of developing devices like the above XEM thing. So you want a 130XE with AMY, 2MB or RAM, SD card, 2 MIDI ports, USB port, HDMI.... Figure out what it would cost to develop this. There's no point in spouting these great ideas without basis in reality, and dollars are about as real as it gets. Most people (in the general population of the world, not AtariAge users) wouldn't even have a clue what a 130XE was/is. I think Atari would laugh if they were proposed this, however.

To paraphrase the band Cake, I'm not your personal effin' research waitress. If you want research done, do it yourself. I've already posted that a brand new WDC 6502 is $5 retail. They're even producing 200Mhz versions now. Ports are $1 or less a piece, and if you want prices for Broadcomm HDMI processors, they have a website.

I don't understand the confusion between "What I like" and "What has broad appeal." Just because I like Atari and retro consoles doesn't mean everyone else does. A successful product is going to have broad appeal. Retrogaming has a limited appeal. It always will. That's one of the cool things about it. 1957 Chevys are really cool. They have a limited appeal. Same thing. Retro is not cutting edge, and it never will be. Just because I love 130XEs (and I do), thinking they're the "next big thing" is kind of like a '57 Chevy driver thinking the 2011 Chevy should be a '57 Chevy.

Again, somehow you construe what I wrote regarding a limited 1,000 run - and I stated that clearly several times - for something with mass appeal. I never posted anything with allusions of selling millions of units.

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

All BS arguing aside.... did the FB2+ just completely disappear from the Atari.com website or am I not finding it?

What's going on now?

I have never even seen it on their website. I saw the posting on AtariAge the first week of February and even then I could not locate it on Atari's site. The only time I've seen it was with their Missile Command contest.

I am looking for it too. I saw the deal for 50% of using the code atari50 and thought it was time to buy. :sad:

Not everything in the store is 50% off. Their one PC/MAC DVD title is not 50% off, but Ghostbusters and Chronicles of Riddick for the PS3 are both 50% off. Now to compare their prices with Buy More. Those titles may already be scheduled for a price drop. I bought that Jack Black game on Black Friday at almost full price and I just saw it the other day retailing for $20.

Earlier this week they dropped the price on their iPhone games from $5 to $1, and I bought Centipede and Missile Command right away. The next day I went to buy Super Breakout - and all the Atari games were pulled from the Apps Store!

Atari's website is weird. But it could be worse... it could be the Amiga Inc. website trying to sell some snowman app on the near non-existent AmigaEverywhere platform!

That is weird. On Atari's site, they still list their iPhone games but the content is not on iTunes. The only logical explanation I could think of is that they are tweaking the games to make them more iPad friendly but then again, iPhone apps never have a problem updating themselves.

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

I actually really like the newly designed Atari website. It's the most fitting one I've seen them use since never!

However, why they pull pages like that and do all this without some sort of bloggy like news stream is sort of crap.

I seen the page about 3 weeks ago, was going to pre-order... but held off. Went back and now it just takes you straight back

to the front page. Conveniently... grr.

• Like 2

I just went to iTunes to buy the Centipede game and it said that it's no longer available, or any of Atari's other iPhone games :( all gone. the atari.com website still shows them but I doubt that will be much longer.

I was going to preorder the Flashback 2+ when I first read this link, but talked myself into waiting... and now it isn't even possible to

Edited by geosteve
  • Like 1

Generating "buzz" and having the potential to recoup millions of dollars in r&d/manufacturing/marketing are worlds apart. I follow classic computers all the time on Ebay.

It wouldn't cost millions of dollars to reproduce a special edition 65XEM. Hell, a few years ago, an amateur engineer [i forget her name] put the entire Commodore 64 on a single chip. And more recently, another amateur engineer made an Amiga 500 on a FPGA board.

Well, I wonder why these aren't popularly available, cheap then. Any explanation? Lots more people knew about the Commodore 64 than the vaporware 65XEM too. The MiniMig is the Amiga implementation. The motherboard alone is $258. Now just add case, power supply, keyboard, storage, monitor, shipping for everything.

Producing an 8-bit computer in today's market - even with such a limited run [of 1,000] - would cost a whole lot less than the last day Atari produced the XE line. For example, you can get a single brand new 6502 from WDC for $5.xx at full retail price.

Then by all mean, have at it, since you make it sound so easy. Are you an engineer? Be sure to post back when you have something workable.

This stuff is never going to happen. There isn't even an AMY chip; this was never produced. If I understand correctly, Curt's researching remaking GTIA (and other Atari custom chips) for potential use in some future Atari retro-device. Custom Atari chips that were real. What is the liklihood of anybody doing this for the AMY chip which was never produced? You think somebody's going to finish the AMY chip, then develop software for it??? Who would do this, why, and who would pay them for it? Seriously....??? The AMY thing was dead a long time ago, and we're out of that era entirely.

The AMY chip was finished [by an outside company]. Go Google it. I thought I had read a posting from Curt that someone else is running it in emulation mode at the moment. From the sounds of it, it would only need to be fabbed at this point. As I said before, a single 6502 at full retail is only $5. 2MB of memory is cheap. The only real cost besides the actual manufacturing of such a 65XEM would be the fabbed AMY chip. I doubt total costs would be above $50, and certainly not the ballpark estimate of $150.

Since you know so much about this stuff, I take it "fabbing" is quite simple for you, and inexpensive as well. I'm glad we'll have you to take care of this. You'll write the software to support the AMY too, right?

Nostalgia sells....CHEAPLY. That's why the Flashback 2 stuff is $30 and the Plug&Play joysticks are less than $20. As well, the Plug&Play joysticks and the Flashback stuff are based off the 2600 - perhaps the only Atari product that truly had broad appeal (broad appeal means not a niche product - loads of people had one and EVERYBODY knew about it). So the P&P joystick and Flashback are CHEAP products with BROAD APPEAL. NOBODY is going to pay $150 for any nostaliga device - NOT EVEN CLOSE. After the next round of price cuts, the modern console systems will approach that price - with their HD graphics and all....

Ha! You don't think there isn't 1,000 Atari 8-bit fans online that wouldn't buy such a machine brand new at $150? Ha. As I said before, this would be a 1,000 run just to generate publicity for Atari. It had no illusions of being mass market. Furthermore, perhaps you should look up the cost of what the SIDStations went for just a year or so ago. Aside from Atari fans, the people snapping up such a machine would be musicians and chip tunes enthusiasts.

"Ha!" is right. FACT: the FB2 us $30. FACT: the P&P joystick is $20. FACT: The C64DTV was $20-$30

Your conjecture about who would pay $150 is exactly that.... I'd say let the facts speak for themselves. Seems to support the statement "Nostalgia sells cheaply."

"Chip tunes enthusiasts" are a tiny, tiny, tiny subset of the population....you seem to have difficulty grasping what is "mainstream" from the lunatic fringe.

You should do some research - a feasibility study - into the cost of developing devices like the above XEM thing. So you want a 130XE with AMY, 2MB or RAM, SD card, 2 MIDI ports, USB port, HDMI.... Figure out what it would cost to develop this. There's no point in spouting these great ideas without basis in reality, and dollars are about as real as it gets. Most people (in the general population of the world, not AtariAge users) wouldn't even have a clue what a 130XE was/is. I think Atari would laugh if they were proposed this, however.

To paraphrase the band Cake, I'm not your personal effin' research waitress. If you want research done, do it yourself. I've already posted that a brand new WDC 6502 is $5 retail. They're even producing 200Mhz versions now. Ports are $1 or less a piece, and if you want prices for Broadcomm HDMI processors, they have a website.

No, but you should be your own personal F'n research waitress. I have no requirement for research. I would only suggest research to a clueless newbie who spouts off with unrealistic, grandiose "ideas" about fanciful vaporware products and then pats themselves on the back for their "ingenuity" in conceiving their brilliant plans. Of course, the research would be the hard part, so clueless newbies usually never get to that part....just "idea spouting."

I don't understand the confusion between "What I like" and "What has broad appeal." Just because I like Atari and retro consoles doesn't mean everyone else does. A successful product is going to have broad appeal. Retrogaming has a limited appeal. It always will. That's one of the cool things about it. 1957 Chevys are really cool. They have a limited appeal. Same thing. Retro is not cutting edge, and it never will be. Just because I love 130XEs (and I do), thinking they're the "next big thing" is kind of like a '57 Chevy driver thinking the 2011 Chevy should be a '57 Chevy.

Again, somehow you construe what I wrote regarding a limited 1,000 run - and I stated that clearly several times - for something with mass appeal. I never posted anything with allusions of selling millions of units.

You're the genius. But you specialize in speculation. Since no research will be done, all we have is "spouting" so I think I've made my point now and I don't care to discuss this with you any further. However, should you miraculously produce such a device, I will gladly admit I was wrong; until then, there is no shortage of "idea men" around here.

• Like 1

Well, I wonder why these aren't popularly available, cheap then. Any explanation? Lots more people knew about the Commodore 64 than the vaporware 65XEM too. The MiniMig is the Amiga implementation. The motherboard alone is $258. Now just add case, power supply, keyboard, storage, monitor, shipping for everything.

It is always more expensive to sell things when they are only built a few items at a time versus a set order. I speculated a set order of 1,000. Preselling. That would be less in manufacturing costs than some single person in their garage putting them together.

Then by all mean, have at it, since you make it sound so easy. Are you an engineer? Be sure to post back when you have something workable.

I never claimed to be an engineer. Are you? If not, then your opinion is just as worthless as mine from your own estimation.

"Ha!" is right. FACT: the FB2 us $30. FACT: the P&P joystick is $20. FACT: The C64DTV was $20-$30

Your conjecture about who would pay $150 is exactly that.... I'd say let the facts speak for themselves. Seems to support the statement "Nostalgia sells cheaply."

"Chip tunes enthusiasts" are a tiny, tiny, tiny subset of the population....you seem to have difficulty grasping what is "mainstream" from the lunatic fringe.

And yet there are plenty of chip tunes enthusiasts - some being professional musicians - that bought SIDStations. Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektron_SidStation

Plenty of people bought them for $950 and up. You keep on bringing up "mainstream" when I've never claimed the term "mainstream". I said 1,000 units at $150. I am suggesting there's enough people online between Atari 8-bit enthusiasts and chip tunes enthusiasts/musicians that would pay $150 for a revised 25th anniversary 65XEM. Out of each of these postings, you keep on interpreting "mainstream". There seems to be a reading comprehension issue and it's not coming from my end.

And labeling a segment of musicians as the "lunatic fringe" is ridiculous. 8-bit Weapon probably makes more money than you do and Timbaland certainly does, so I wouldn't be so quick to label them so erroneously when there's apparently a market for their "lunatic" art.

No, but you should be your own personal F'n research waitress. I have no requirement for research. I would only suggest research to a clueless newbie who spouts off with unrealistic, grandiose "ideas" about fanciful vaporware products and then pats themselves on the back for their "ingenuity" in conceiving their brilliant plans. Of course, the research would be the hard part, so clueless newbies usually never get to that part....just "idea spouting."

A clueless newbie, eh? Your personal attacks are ever so charming.

You're the genius. But you specialize in speculation. Since no research will be done, all we have is "spouting" so I think I've made my point now and I don't care to discuss this with you any further. However, should you miraculously produce such a device, I will gladly admit I was wrong; until then, there is no shortage of "idea men" around here.

Did I claim to be a genius? Nope. But I will say one thing, the internet obviously isn't running out of its large supply of holier than thou skeptical wankers ready to dismiss any opinion other than their own. I expect this sort of behavior on Digg, but certainly not here or on Slashdot.

• Like 1

It is always more expensive to sell things when they are only built a few items at a time versus a set order. I speculated a set order of 1,000. Preselling. That would be less in manufacturing costs than some single person in their garage putting them together.

Speculation of 1000? Based on what? Figments of the imagination? As you've previously indicated, it's not research. No feasibility studies behind your "speculation" for sure.

I never claimed to be an engineer. Are you? If not, then your opinion is just as worthless as mine from your own estimation.

If you're not an engineer, then why blow so hard about building this stuff? Especially when you refuse to do any research to validate the feasibility of your fantasy, make fun of the need to do so, and then come back with "6502s are $5 ea" as a substitute. No, I'm not an engineer; but then again, I'm not popping off all opinionated about what people should build, "speculating" wildly about fantasy products that will ***OBVIOUSLY*** never be built. My opinion is based on a recognition of fact. I keep quoting for you facts such as: FACT: the FB2 us $30. FACT: the P&P joystick is $20. FACT: The C64DTV was $20-$30 and then I draw obvious conclusions on those facts, such as "NOSTALGIA SELLS CHEAPLY." That's my opinion. Not nearly as worthless, on account of readily observable evidence. I also point out that while you pop off about all this fantasy stuff, we're still waiting for FB2+ to show at retail....little reality break and a far cry from your fantasy stuff....

And yet there are plenty of chip tunes enthusiasts - some being professional musicians - that bought SIDStations. Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektron_SidStation

Plenty of people bought them for $950 and up. You keep on bringing up "mainstream" when I've never claimed the term "mainstream". I said 1,000 units at $150. I am suggesting there's enough people online between Atari 8-bit enthusiasts and chip tunes enthusiasts/musicians that would pay $150 for a revised 25th anniversary 65XEM. Out of each of these postings, you keep on interpreting "mainstream". There seems to be a reading comprehension issue and it's not coming from my end.

First off, what's with the crazy idea of the 25th Anniversary 65XEM? Celebrate 25 years of it never coming out? 25th anniversaries are commemorative - and if the XEM came out today, we'd have to wait 25 years to commemorate it. I'm sure a product celebrating 25 years of never being produced (and consequently, never being heard of by most people) is going to be a real hit at retail!! Perhaps you missed your real calling and should go into marketing. I suggest you do so immediately.

Let's see some figures, then. "Plenty" of people? So you think they sold as many of these as Atari Flashbacks, then? No? Yes? How much is plenty? Certainly a drop in the bucket to the number of people who use actual Commodore 64s. (thanks to those guys for lowering the replacement SID supply, btw) If you ever decide to do research, might look into it. Until then, you're just a guy with an aversion to research, wholly dependent upon subjective, relative terms such as "plenty" to try to drive a point with....heh heh heh.

As far as "mainstream" you'll note that this thread is in the Flashback forum....so yeah, "Mainstream" applies here. The reason the Flashbacks matter is because - generally speaking - they were quite readily available...because they are mainstream. They are mainstream because (1) they are cheap and (2) they represent a newer rendition of an Atari product that itself was mainstream. They were produced, they're being produced again, and if we're lucky, there's a real chance we may see them at retail again. What's the point in blathering on about all your fantasy hardware that will NEVER be produced (by you, or anyone else) when we can discuss products that actually are being produced, and may make it to a store shelf = mainstream? So it's not a reading comprehension issue, it's more of a reality comprehension issue and it's not coming from my end.

And labeling a segment of musicians as the "lunatic fringe" is ridiculous. 8-bit Weapon probably makes more money than you do and Timbaland certainly does, so I wouldn't be so quick to label them so erroneously when there's apparently a market for their "lunatic" art.

You don't understand the term, obviously. It simply means members of a movement/organization/whatever that have extreme/eccentric/fanatical views. As I'm an avid retrogamer and collector of various obsolete hardware, I guess I'm included. I guess you're too young. It's been a long time since your parents bought you Atari stock certificates; perhaps not long enough. Can't say I care who "8-bit Weapon" or "Timbaland" (love the spelling on that one) are so I don't care how much they make. I just know I'm not going to see their products on the shelf at Target.....EVER...and that's the whole point and all that I care about. Since you brought it up, it doesn't bother me that Brett Farve, Jay Leno, or Miley Cyrus make more than I do, either. (Bonus for being mainstream names that aren't laugahble). Nice attempt, though.

A clueless newbie, eh? Your personal attacks are ever so charming.

I made general statements. What you allude to on your own is up to you. So no, no personal attacks. Unless calling you a "genius" is an attack.

Did I claim to be a genius? Nope. But I will say one thing, the internet obviously isn't running out of its large supply of holier than thou skeptical wankers ready to dismiss any opinion other than their own. I expect this sort of behavior on Digg, but certainly not here or on Slashdot.

No, but you spouted out a bunch of detailed fantasy that neither you nor ANYBODY will be building, have an aversion to research and have obviously never conducted a feasibility study, but yet you're the CONSUMMATE IDEA MAN. You enjoy dropping big names (like Atari Stock Holder even though your parents had to get you your 0.001% for you - I picture the Tramiels plight as they were forced to be civil to little Poindexter), like to drop names like Digg and Slashdot....accuse someone else of "charming personal attacks" before dropping the charge of "wanker" in an all-too-classier move. You're a real winner. Conversely, I might say that I entirely expect to find a guy like you on those sites and not here. Thanks for the enrichment. Who's gonna build those products now?

Edited by wood_jl
  • Like 2

No, but you spouted out a bunch of detailed fantasy that neither you nor ANYBODY will be building, have an aversion to research and have obviously never conducted a feasibility study, but yet you're the CONSUMMATE IDEA MAN. You enjoy dropping big names (like Atari Stock Holder even though your parents had to get you your 0.001% for you - I picture the Tramiels plight as they were forced to be civil to little Poindexter), like to drop names like Digg and Slashdot....accuse someone else of "charming personal attacks" before dropping the charge of "wanker" in an all-too-classier move. You're a real winner. Conversely, I might say that I entirely expect to find a guy like you on those sites and not here. Thanks for the enrichment. Who's gonna build those products now?

It is really low of a user of a retro video gaming website to call another user a "poindexter".

Your comments about who purchased my stock - which was not a large investment - also smacks of petty jealousy on your part.

But your best comments concern Timbaland and your ignorance of just how mainstream the music producer is in today's music industry.

Thank you for posting such comedic gold, sir, ma'am, or he/she.

What's that saying again?

You know the one that compares arguing on the Internet to the Special Olympics..?

<sigh> Yes, I read this in an Amazon.com review once....<chuckle> 2 guys started going at it and a 3rd chimed in with it.

Every once in a while I get into one of these...dunno why....sorry for being retarded. I feel better now.

• Like 1

Hey guys, don't forget to see the other thread where they're talking about the promo code for cheap price!

You enter ATARI50 in promo code

Then it's $20 + $15 shipping = $35 for one

$40 + $15 shipping = $55 for two

This is cheaper than before??? No T-shirt.

• Like 1

Hey guys, don't forget to see the other thread where they're talking about the promo code for cheap price!

You enter ATARI50 in promo code

Then it's $20 + $15 shipping = $35 for one

$40 + $15 shipping = $55 for two

This is cheaper than before??? No T-shirt.

There is fine print on the Atari.com site that says this code isn't valid for the FB2+.

• Like 1

There is fine print on the Atari.com site that says this code isn't valid for the FB2+.

That's too bad, as $55 for a single Flashback 2+ is expensive. I wonder how much they'll be when (and if) they hit retail stores.

..Al

That is a bit expensive. Actually saw someone with a FB@ (not "+") at the swap last weekend loose, no box for $50. I wished him luck.

• Like 1

What about those who have reported using the code? Maybe it was valid at first, then they updated the site? $40+$15 shipping is nuts for that. Definitely waiting for them to hit the stores now. And if they don't, so be it... $55!?!??!?! Really?!?!? O.K.

• Like 1

So I successfully order two units last night using the code, entered CC information, and got the confirmation screen telling me I would get a confirmation email. Well today I got an email from OrderInquiries@digitalriver.com telling me my order was canceled and that I should reorder using a valid email address and phone number. So I called them and they told me that it was a fraudulent order, and that my CC information was wrong, couldn't tell me what was wrong and that I should re-order. I told them the promotion code no longer works, so then it changes his story to say that the order was canceled because I used an invalid promotion code. This went round an round for about 20 minutes, now I am supposed to wait 24 to 48 hours for an email to try and correct the problem. I think I am SOL. So nice to deal with Atari and Digital River who hires people who are very hard to understand.

• Like 1