IGNORED

big Article on Colecovision in RetroGamer Magazine

youki

I looked at the sales blurb for the issue... "Discover why Coleco's entry into the console market with its ColecoVision was too little too late"

Huh? I don't buy that at all! Granted 2 years isn't exactly forever, but I think 6 million consoles and 170+ games is a success by most standards. Especially when you consider the whole market collapsed, not just Coleco. The "too late" I can maybe see-- but whole-heartedly disagree with the "too little" part.

The only thing that's "too little too late" is that article itself. I can't believe it took them 73 issues to finally give the ColecoVision some serious coverage (while the Atari 2600 saw more than one article devoted to it over the years). And after seing that "bizarre" article about the Intellivision several issues back, I can't imagine myself buying that latest issue just to see what they have to say about the ColecoVision.

Sorry, RG staff, too little, too late.

If it was the intention to shock people, specially the Coleco fans, mission accomplished.

I admit that the ColecoVision didn't had the time to exploit the console, giving the second wave or generation of videogames for the system, including cartridges with save game option (which Coleco Adam games may be able to, but not ColecoVision games) and games more elaborated and technically complex. However, I'll not consider the effort done back then as "too little too late". I've calculated almost 3 years (1982-1984) and more than 120 titles was published. If we take a minute to think about it, it's like approximately a new coleco game title per week, even with a constraint of optimizing rom space to save cost (releasing 16K games instead of 24K or 32K). The only "too little" I can think of is the time the market supported this console.

Are you judging the Article just according to its Title???

Because ,in fact i read it now, and it is very interresting because it is mainly an interview of Eric Bromey (the gfather of the colecovision) that explain the making of the console. It is very interresting.

And the article clearly state that the console was really the best of its times and have been an atonishing success.

Are you judging the Article just according to its Title???

Because ,in fact i read it now, and it is very interresting because it is mainly an interview of Eric Bromey (the gfather of the colecovision) that explain the making of the console. It is very interresting.

And the article clearly state that the console was really the best of its times and have been an atonishing success.

Well then, that sounds much better than I expected. So I stand corrected. :D

But just for the record, I bought the first 52 copies of Retro Gamer magazine, and I was waiting for RG to cover the ColecoVision eventually, but I got tired of waiting, sold all my mags on eBay and never looked back. So that explains the bitterness in my previous post in this thread, and I'm not apologizing for it.

I read this mag since number 8 i think. I have to admit it was IMHO lot better before being bought by IP Publishing.

That's true they love the sinclair an the mag is british centric. But it is an UK Mag so it is understandable. But that annoy me more an more , it that there are tons of what i consider non-retro stuff.

For me , IPhone , WII , PS 3 , XBOX 360 etc.. games should not be in the mag. Even if it is a remake of a "old" game.

The "Retro Rated" section for me is a non sense too and should not be in a Retro mag.

I don't think the last Prince of persia for instance is retro and has something in common with the original except the title.

It is like comparing an modern "Mini (BMW) " and a old Austin Mini. The new mini is no way retro. and even not "retro rated".

Despite i'm a little bit disapointed by the mag, it stays still the best Monthly available Retro Mag. And some issue are better than other.

And now they speak about Homebrew and i think it is a very good thing. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:)

I personally love the retro style games reviewed on new hardware. This is a retro site and one it, I see a lot of reviews of homebrew games, which are created now. I see no difference between retro style on new hardware, or new game on retro hardware. Of course, to each is own my friend, just bringing up a different POV.

As for retrogamer price and wait time for North American, I live in Canada and have taken advantage of the new subscription rates for North Americans. I do not know if they still have the "deal" available, but I purchased a 1 year subscription for 80 US, which includes 13 issues. The normal price of the newstand around here is $16.50 Canadian, and the wait time is usually about 6-8 weeks after the UK release (usually closer to the 8 weeks...). With the subscription, I was blown away when I got my first copy early January, a full 6 weeks ahead of schedule, about 2 weeks after the UK release. Holy cow! I get it at about half price and I get it quicker? Anyway, I took advantage of the same subscription rate for Gamestm and it's the same deal, I get it quicker at half the rate.

Something to consider lads/lasses. Yeah, it is european centric but it does a half decent job of covering our NA stuff. Personally, since I like all things retro, I'm getting a keen insight into a lot of the hardware I never saw around here, so although I agree more NA stuff would be great, I do enjoy the articles.

The Colecovision in the newest issue? Looking forward to it, as it was my fav of all the old consoles. I thought I remember a pretty big article on it before though, I guess I'm getting it confused with some other console (MSX maybe?).

For me , IPhone , WII , PS 3 , XBOX 360 etc.. games should not be in the mag. Even if it is a remake of a "old" game.

I was thinking like you, but i must say more than once i followed their advise on modern games with a "retro" side

and i am happy with them

those games are fun, modern but not too complicated to play

I was thinking like you, but i must say more than once i followed their advise on modern games with a "retro" side

and i am happy with them

those games are fun, modern but not too complicated to play

That's a good subject of discussion. Technically, a retro videogame came from the past, but there is also the style retro and the remake of old games that appeals to retrogamers. So, they are talking about almost everything a retrogamer like or may like to reach everyone. But giving what everyone want is dangerous because you can reach a point of not being specialized and the magazine will lost its goal and THIS is a paradox. So, a compromise is used by talking about some new things that looks retro and some remakes of old games, but not that much to keep the retrogaming world the main attention.

But to return to the subject, I did watch a video on Youtube showing the magazine and the pages about ColecoVision are looking nice and I wonder what is written in these pages. The title "too little too late" is shocking, you can't deny that. And I don't know if it was a smart tactic because, at first, it's offensive to Coleco fans by using these words in the page you order a copy of the magazine and not say more. It did make a big discussion, so a big publicity. Was it a marketing strategy?

So, a compromise is used by talking about some new things that looks retro

I don't think the last Prince of Persia or Climax looks retro...

I have the feeling they need to put "new" thing due to some business contrainst. May be some publisher pay IP Publishing to have their software covered in their publication. Kind of indirect advertisement. Anyway, that's clear a magazine like that need money to survive so no problem with that. Just that in some issues it seems to have more "new" thing than old.

Since few issues there is lot of article about software companies (mostly U.K ones of course) or Developpers. That's interresting of course but i'd prefer having more Retro "Test". Discover new games i don't know . That's "Retro Gamer" not "Retro Business Man".

And as "programmer" , i would be more interrested by technical things in the "making of" than business and other stories.

And last point, seeing Dreamcast Game, XBox game and PS2 Game in that mag hurt me.

i LOVE the Dreamcast (i own 8!!!) , but for me it is not yet retro.

It is like compare used cars and collector cars .

There are so much very good old games we need to discover or talk about why talking about these "modern" ones.

"too little too late"

I think it means, too little in comparison of Atari to survive to crash.

and too late to became as big as Atari in time to survive to crash.

I enjoy RetroGamer and think it's the best, most professionally-done mag out there for such a niche audience. It doesn't bother me that it's Uk centric. It just exposes me to stuff I have never heard of before, ie the ZX Spectrum games, etc. You can only talk about the same old USA-flavored retro gaming topics so many times before being sick of it. Wow, ANOTHER article about ET cartridges buried in the desert?

I have a stack of about 12 of them, almost completing the RG logo on the spine. Even gave away some issues before that.

It may be a great article, but at $17 in the newstand/store and $12 per issue with subscription, RetroGamer is too expensive for my taste. The $140+ for a year's subscription buys a lot of actual games, which is much more fun than reading about someone else playing games ;)

It may be a great article, but at $17 in the newstand/store and $12 per issue with subscription, RetroGamer is too expensive for my taste. The $140+ for a year's subscription buys a lot of actual games, which is much more fun than reading about someone else playing games ;)

Its actually $80 a year for 13 issues if you subscribe. Check here :-

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/149938-new-retro-gamer-sub-offer-for-us-citizens/

And here :-

http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16986

Thats $6.15 an issue!

Hi,

There is a big Article on the Colecovision in the new RetroGamer Magazine.

http://www.retrogamer.net/

I didn't read it in detail yet , but it seems good. Except the choice of the "Ten games to have". icon_smile.gif

Yes, the article is good (the mag is VERY expensive in Germany: EURO 13,20!!).

The "ten games to have" are:

01 Burger Time - can't agree or disagree -never played this version

02 Fortune Bulder - see Burger Time

03 Gorf - good, but far away from "perfect"

04 Turbo - agree

05 River Raid - agree

06 Frenzy - not my favorite, but others might agree

07 War Games - agree

08 Jumpman Jr - see Frenzy

09 Pepper II - agree

10 Donkey Kong Jr - agree

Edited by Mister VCS