IGNORED

"The Writer's Tool" by OSS

dwhyte

It's only an 8K ROM so highly unlikely that any banking is in use.

Then again, there's always the possibility it might be switchable to allow access to the RAM underneath.

There's also the other possibility that it's a full 16K banked cart and wasn't properly copied.

If I get some time, I might have a look at it later.

Edited by Rybags

Bad news - the 8K download from Post #4 just doesn't appear right.

There's no valid cart header at $BFFA, but appeared to be an almost valid header at $AFFA. So, I swapped the 4K sections around and still no good.

Look a little deeper - there's JSRs to routines around $8000 and above.

So, I'd say it's almost definitely a standard 16K cart that hasn't been copied properly.

[quote name=Sub(Function(:))' date='Tue Feb 9, 2010 12:33 PM' timestamp='1265718832' post='1937923]

According to the copy of Jindroush's cartridge info site, the cart should be one of the OSS bank switched carts (16k?).

It would make sense: I can't see all the data fitting between $2000-$8000.

[quote name=Sub(Function(:))' date='Tue Feb 9, 2010 1:33 PM' timestamp='1265718832' post='1937923]

According to the copy of Jindroush's cartridge info site, the cart should be one of the OSS bank switched carts (16k?).

I found this information on the retrobits page..

Phase 2: What's In There?

If you've got an orange cart, you will see a compact board with a few small ICs, a resistor, a capacitor or two, and two 2764 eproms (8kb each). In general, the black carts are the same except they contain a single 27128 eprom (16kb), unless its a Writer's Tool in which case it contains a single 2764.

[Note as of 4-13-2002: why is the 8kb Writer's Tool a bank-switching Supercart? My guess is for copy protection, since it won't work without the bank switching... plus OSS probably had quite a few of these boards laying around!]

I can try the ROM in a socket based OSS cart that I have..

/Freddie

I can try the ROM in a socket based OSS cart that I have.

Great - can't wait to try this. I'm having difficulty getting my head around the idea of the program being 8K long, though.

No, go with the file from this thread... :sad:

All I get is the diagnostic window..

Maybe I need a drive hooked up to the computer...

From a quick bit of Googling, it appears that there's an 8k ROM (probably can be deselected to permit the user to use that 8k of space for storage) plus a boot file that needs to be loaded to run the program.

Check out Retrobits and old Analog/Antic/Computemags for details.