IGNORED

Rare Aircars Beta Breaks Cover

Gaztee

I have recently been allowed access to a one of a kind version of Aircars for the Jaguar. As far as I am aware this is the only copy of this version around. I give thanks to Marco Pasquale (Litoskin) for letting me have a little play.

This version had been sat in Italy for a while & had, had little or no playtime. The only levels open from the menu were 1A & 1B. I have now sat down & played the game through to try & find as many differences as possible, from both the ICD released version & the KA one!

Anyhoo, having finally finished the Aircars 94 beta I thought I would share my experience with you. As far as I can tell, all the levels are in essence 'the same' as the released version.

The graphics are a fair bit different though. There are lots of textures & colours missing on the primary objectives for example,

:- The Aircars themselves appear to be 'rougher' versions of the released game.

:- The keypad configuration is different, with the biggest different being that 'option' is used to zoom in/out of the map not the 0 key.

:- The 0 key changes the colour of the compass, so that it doesn't mix with the background.

:- Key 2 doesn't appear to do anything.

:- The sound for the Aircar seems to be quieter.

:- The orange power up icons stay on the screen until you select them with button 5.

:- The ability to stop your Aircar turning at 90 degrees cannot be switched off.

:- The dashboard (HUD??) is quite obviously different to either the released or KA versions.

:- There is no red border on the map or screen to tell you that you've come to the edge of the play field. I think that maybe why the co-ordinates are used??

:- Selecting the levels is different - you press up on the 94 version & down on the released version.

:- The frame rate is a LOT slower than the released version.

One thing I quite liked is that the compass spins when your radar is damaged - you can however use the location co-ordinates if you know where you need to go!

I think that covers the main differences between the beta & the released version. It was kinda fun to revisit this game, & sort of see how it evolved into the game that we eventually ended up with.

If people are interested, and with great thanks again to Marco Pasquale we are looking into making a small run of these carts so that more people can play this game.

Please find a few pictures that highlight the differences between this 94 Beta & the KA & ICD release of Aircars

post-760-126980546787_thumb.jpgpost-760-126980551435_thumb.jpgpost-760-126980559723_thumb.jpgpost-760-126980567938_thumb.jpgpost-760-126980574043_thumb.jpgpost-760-126980575702_thumb.jpgpost-760-126980580826_thumb.jpgpost-760-126980585495_thumb.jpgpost-760-126980589093_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Is that even possible? I tried to play a NETWORKED game of Aircars and thought it was pure crap. Let me clarify that usually playing something networked and playing with a friend makes any crappy game 100% better, but not with Aircars.

Maybe I am missing something with this like I did initially with Cybermorph (which I initially hated and is now like a top 5 game of mine.)

Is that even possible? I tried to play a NETWORKED game of Aircars and thought it was pure crap. Let me clarify that usually playing something networked and playing with a friend makes any crappy game 100% better, but not with Aircars.

Maybe I am missing something with this like I did initially with Cybermorph (which I initially hated and is now like a top 5 game of mine.)

I guess you are missing something!! If I remember rightly at the original JFUK people preferred this networked to Battlesphere!

And yes after sitting through to the end of the game & then sticking in the released version I was shocked at how much quicker & smoother it was compared to this Beta!!

I also forgot to mention that you get a lot less amo in the Beta. You get 30 rockets & 75 machine gun bullets!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Coming in July 2010 Aircars 94 - which is the Beta version from November 94! Marco has given me permission to release this game, so that more people can enjoy it. Stay tuned for more info. This version does play quite differently to the ICD one, so is definitely worth a look! I have no idea on price atm, all will be announced in good time!!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The release of this is now just a few weeks away. Expect more info around the 13/14th July with price, how to order etc!! :twisted:

I'll be picking this up, I've never seen or played the original but I don't suppose that matters :)