IGNORED

Needed: Commodore 1702 Monitors

Albert

I just looked and my monitor with no sound is actually a 1701 not a 1702. What's the difference?

Tempest

Commodore was really weird with their monitor model numbers. I think that the 1701 was made by a different manufacturer.

Mitch

• 2 weeks later...

I received two 1702 monitors from the same eBay seller that are both in piss poor condition compared to the auction description. One has plastic lines on the face of the monitor (stickers) to break up the screen into four quadrants--probably for a security monitor, video production work or something along those lines. The other one, which I just opened this morning, is smashed on one corner and the plastic bevel is cracked badly. Even if it works, it's not something I want to use for my purposes. The first one, assuming it works, I should be able to clean up.

Haven't tried either monitor yet, but I will be taking pictures and sending them to the seller demanding at least a partial refund. Will post the pictures here when I take them sometime today.

The monitors I've gotten from AtariAge members have been packaged more carefully and are in much better condition overall. I have three more on the way from an AtariAge member, which will bring the total to 10 (not including the one the damaged 1702).

Still looking for more. :)

..Al

Here are pictures of the two Commodore 1702s I received from a single seller on eBay. One was sent via UPS and the other was sent via USPS Media Mail. I'm amazed that my local post office didn't open the Media Mail package and demand postage due.

1702_1.jpg

1702_2.jpg

1702_3.jpg

The actual auction only showed one monitor (the seller was selling several) that didn't have any obvious damage, and claimed the monitors would be "cleaned up" before shipment. Assuming the monitor with the crap on the screen (and case) works fine, that's not a big deal. But I am not going to use the cracked one, even if it works. Going to send these to the seller now and demand a partial refund.

..Al

What the heck is that cross on the screen? Did somebody draw that with a marker? Man, those are really sad. On an Ebay where I've conducted very limited sales, I was trying to be waaaaaay "above and beyond the call" because I'm terrified of unreasonable people leaving me negative feedback and wrecking my chances of trying more sales in future. In a selling environment where I feel that way, it boggles the mind how anybody could think - even for a moment - that they could operate like your seller has done. So I get poor service from sellers and when I am selling, I give great service yet I am nervous. Murphy's Law?

What the heck is that cross on the screen? Did somebody draw that with a marker? Man, those are really sad. On an Ebay where I've conducted very limited sales, I was trying to be waaaaaay "above and beyond the call" because I'm terrified of unreasonable people leaving me negative feedback and wrecking my chances of trying more sales in future. In a selling environment where I feel that way, it boggles the mind how anybody could think - even for a moment - that they could operate like your seller has done. So I get poor service from sellers and when I am selling, I give great service yet I am nervous. Murphy's Law?

I've been screwed so many times by eBay sellers in the last six months it's not even funny. I've documented several cases elsewhere on the forum. I come to expect it now--it's like playing the lottery when you open a package from an eBay seller. I'm asking for a full refund (with shipping) for the cracked monitor. If the seller says no, I'll file a claim on PayPal and tie up the money and also leave the seller negative feedback.

..Al

1702_3.jpg

The actual auction only showed one monitor (the seller was selling several) that didn't have any obvious damage, and claimed the monitors would be "cleaned up" before shipment. Assuming the monitor with the crap on the screen (and case) works fine, that's not a big deal. But I am not going to use the cracked one, even if it works. Going to send these to the seller now and demand a partial refund.

Looks like a multi-cam setup for a video shoot. The stickers saying "choir left" and "choir right" suggest that.

Hope there aren't any burn-ins leftover from that.

Weird they felt the need to draw on the monitor though.

Edited by Nathan Strum

Here's the (not surprising) response from the seller:

I reviewed your pictures and they were not in this condition when they were shipped out of our store. I've come to believe that this is an issue with UPS/USPS shipment. I would like for you to take this issue up with UPS/USPS which ever the damaged system came through. I'm sorry for this inconvenience, We have recently changed our Ebay staff, so that listing wasn't on our part and we apologize for this issue. Another staff member and I personally cleaned those up as best as possible they weren't as clean as what they should have been in the beginning. That is one of many reasons why we have a new staff. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. Thanks

I already responded and gave him one more chance to take responsibility for the condition these arrived in. If not, I will be filing a claim immediately and threaten to leave negative feedback (which the seller may not care about). I love the comment about "not in the condition when they were shipped", yeah, all that crap affixed to that one monitor was affixed by UPS? :roll:

..Al

Again, the seller told me to basically pound sand and take it up with the USPS:

I'm sorry for this inconvenience. what I can say is that you as a buyer should file a claim through USPS to receive the refund for this system. If that doesn't work for you then we can file the claim for you and do our best to resolve this problem. Thanks

Yeah, first, the package was not insured. Second, the USPS would surely deny the claim given the poor packaging job on the part of the seller (just some loose cardboard in the box and some thick bubblewrap in front of the picture tube--but the monitor was fairly loose in the box, which is a great recipe for damage). Not to mention the seller shipped it via USPS Media Mail and they'd probably laugh me out of the post office if I tried to make a claim based on that alone.

I just opened a case on eBay to see how their new "Resolution Center" works out. Haven't left feedback yet but I can sense it's surely coming. If this doesn't work out I'll file a claim with PayPal. I'll ship the monitor back if I need to, as long as I don't have to pay for return shipping.

..Al

If you end up stuck with the one with marker on the screen, and you're lucky enough that it works, you might clean the writing off with Coleman fuel.

post-16281-127147734423_thumb.jpg

Removes lots of marker, soaks into stickers/tape, removes sticker/tape residue, removes grease, dissolves chewing gum, removes oil spots from clothing, etc etc....

$6/gal at Walmart but a can lasts me a couple of years.

I'm getting the runaround from the seller. I filed a claim on eBay and the seller stated that if I shipped the monitor back (with all the original packaging) he'd refund me (surely just the cost of the monitor) and then file a claim with USPS. I'm certainly not going to spend $40+ to send the monitor back and have the seller send me only $35 for the price of the monitor, I'd be even deeper in the hole. I'm going to call eBay and escalate and see what they do. I'll be damned if I'm going to get screwed in this deal.

..Al