IGNORED

Needed: Commodore 1702 Monitors

Albert

You know if you hot glue the inside of the case it makes the cracks practically invisible. Though obviously not all sections of the case are easily accessible.

I've never actually opened a 1702--I have a fear of getting zapped from the tube so I generally steer clear of them. Perhaps an irrational fear if I'm just careful and discharge the the tube before working on the monitor. The cracks I noticed yesterday aren't bad. I do have two monitors I received that have cracks on the front, black bezel surrounding the monitor. They are in the corner in each case, and it's obvious the monitor took a beating during transit due to poor packaging (again, eBay sellers). I tested one of them yesterday and it works fine, and that particular crack isn't hugely noticeable. The other one, though, looks much worse aesthetically as a result so I probably won't use it.

If I could open these case and "fix" the cracks (fit the misaligned broken pieces) and glue them back together, that would be nice.

Some of these displays could definitely use cap kits, but man, that's a lot of caps.

..Al

You know if you hot glue the inside of the case it makes the cracks practically invisible. Though obviously not all sections of the case are easily accessible.

I've never actually opened a 1702--I have a fear of getting zapped from the tube so I generally steer clear of them. Perhaps an irrational fear if I'm just careful and discharge the the tube before working on the monitor. The cracks I noticed yesterday aren't bad. I do have two monitors I received that have cracks on the front, black bezel surrounding the monitor. They are in the corner in each case, and it's obvious the monitor took a beating during transit due to poor packaging (again, eBay sellers). I tested one of them yesterday and it works fine, and that particular crack isn't hugely noticeable. The other one, though, looks much worse aesthetically as a result so I probably won't use it.

If I could open these case and "fix" the cracks (fit the misaligned broken pieces) and glue them back together, that would be nice.

Some of these displays could definitely use cap kits, but man, that's a lot of caps.

..Al

Discharging the tube isn't as scary as it sounds. Just respect it and don't forget to unplug the monitor before you discharge it! Here's a link for building a discharging tool.

I bought a couple of sets of caps from mouser.com and if I have enough time this weekend I'm going to re-cap one of my 1702 monitors. I'll see how it goes.

Mitch

I just finished re-capping one of my C1702 monitors, it took awhile but I finally got it done.

I found that I had made a typo on the cap list for C523, it should be a 33uf 160v cap not a 16v cap. I updated my previous post with the correction and also added notes for C101 and C607.

The picture on my newly re-capped monitor looks excellent! :)

Now to re-cap my other C1702...

Mitch

I just finished re-capping one of my C1702 monitors, it took awhile but I finally got it done.

I'm always envious of you guys and your electronics skills! Wish I had some. :(

More envy. :) :)

I found that I had made a typo on the cap list for C523, it should be a 33uf 160v cap not a 16v cap. I updated my previous post with the correction and also added notes for C101 and C607.

That's great, glad to hear of your success! Did you take before and after pictures? :)

After testing this first batch of eight monitors a bit, at least two of them seriously need to be recapped. But there's no way I'm going to replace 40+ caps on one of these monitors myself, much less several of them. Might be fun if I had plenty of time, but I have a ton to do before CGE and recapping the monitors would just be too time consuming. How long did it take you to do the first one?

..Al

That's great, glad to hear of your success! Did you take before and after pictures? :)

After testing this first batch of eight monitors a bit, at least two of them seriously need to be recapped. But there's no way I'm going to replace 40+ caps on one of these monitors myself, much less several of them. Might be fun if I had plenty of time, but I have a ton to do before CGE and recapping the monitors would just be too time consuming. How long did it take you to do the first one?

..Al

I did not take any pictures unfortunately. I will try to remember to take some when I do my other 1702.

I think it took a little under four hours over all. But there were some issues like when I realized I had ordered the wrong cap and another when I found the typo on the voltage for another cap. Having to stop and make a trip to the electronics store twice delayed things a bit. Also, since I didn't have a board parts map, sometimes it took me a couple minutes to locate a cap if it wasn't where I was expecting it to be on the board.

I'm guessing the next one should go a little quicker.

Mitch

Please let me know when you'd like to drop by here and recap some of these monitors. :)

When are you getting to Vegas? :ponder:

..Al

Are you going to pay my air fare to come out there. :P

Not early enough to re-cap any monitors. :ponder: :D

Mitch

Come to think of it, I may have room to put an extra 1702 in the car when I drive over. If you still need one.

Another thought, you could pull the board out of the monitors with the damaged cases and swap them with the ones that have a bad picture. Probably be a bit faster than re-capping them. I wouldn't think it would take more than 15-20 minutes.

Mitch

Come to think of it, I may have room to put an extra 1702 in the car when I drive over. If you still need one.

Possibly, will you be there on Friday? I haven't taken the time to thoroughly test these monitors, but now three of the eight I have hooked up have bad displays. I should have at least four more on the way to me soon enough, and I have another five monitors sitting here. One of them has a bad crack in the front display bezel, though, so I don't want to use that one.

Another thought, you could pull the board out of the monitors with the damaged cases and swap them with the ones that have a bad picture. Probably be a bit faster than re-capping them. I wouldn't think it would take more than 15-20 minutes.

That's not a bad idea, I may consider doing that if I can't get my hands on enough monitors. At this point I'd like to have 16 of them for the show. I'm well short of that right now. :(

..Al

Possibly, will you be there on Friday? I haven't taken the time to thoroughly test these monitors, but now three of the eight I have hooked up have bad displays. I should have at least four more on the way to me soon enough, and I have another five monitors sitting here. One of them has a bad crack in the front display bezel, though, so I don't want to use that one.

That's not a bad idea, I may consider doing that if I can't get my hands on enough monitors. At this point I'd like to have 16 of them for the show. I'm well short of that right now. :(

..Al

The plan right now is to be there Friday, probably early to mid afternoon. If I have room I can bring two 1702s but I don't know for sure if I will or not.

Mitch

The plan right now is to be there Friday, probably early to mid afternoon. If I have room I can bring two 1702s but I don't know for sure if I will or not.

As I'm still acquiring and testing monitors, I will have to let you know closer to the show. :)

Thanks,

..Al

I finally cracked open a 1702 and created a cap list. Forty one electrolytic caps in all, yowza!

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for putting this list together. My original 1702 started doing the hula recently and this was a real timesaver for ordering. I picked up 5 kits worth of caps so we'll see how it goes.

I finally cracked open a 1702 and created a cap list. Forty one electrolytic caps in all, yowza!

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for putting this list together. My original 1702 started doing the hula recently and this was a real timesaver for ordering. I picked up 5 kits worth of caps so we'll see how it goes.

Cool, I hope it works out for you.

Did you notice that I had corrected the voltage value on one of the caps? I wouldn't want you to end up with the wrong voltage cap in there.

Mitch

Cool, I hope it works out for you.

Did you notice that I had corrected the voltage value on one of the caps? I wouldn't want you to end up with the wrong voltage cap in there.

Mitch

I did, thanks for double-checking. Also picked up caps to refresh an SX-64 (been on a Commie kick lately). I'm impressed my 1702 lasted this long, it must have 20,000+ hours on it by now. The picture is actually still good and sharp but just a little unstable when warm. It's old enough now that's there's no sense in making adjustments until the 28 year old caps are changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump

Last call for Commodore 1702 monitors! If you're driving to the show and can bring a monitor (or two) that I can use, please let me know. Sadly, several of the monitors I have are in serious need of cap kits, which is something I sure as heck do not have time to even think about doing now. Perhaps later this year I can work on that, as it sure would be nice to have a wall of 1702 monitors that have good, stable pictures.

Thanks,

..Al

Bump

Last call for Commodore 1702 monitors! If you're driving to the show and can bring a monitor (or two) that I can use, please let me know. Sadly, several of the monitors I have are in serious need of cap kits, which is something I sure as heck do not have time to even think about doing now. Perhaps later this year I can work on that, as it sure would be nice to have a wall of 1702 monitors that have good, stable pictures.

Thanks,

..Al

Were you able to swap the board out of the monitors with bad cases?

Mitch

Were you able to swap the board out of the monitors with bad cases?

I have not tried this yet. :)

..Al

Why not? Discharging monitor tubes is fun stuff. :D

If you don't want to do it or don't have time bring them along to the expo and I should be able to swap a few in a hour or so. Assuming, of course, you have room in your moving van.

Mitch

Why not? Discharging monitor tubes is fun stuff. :D

I'm not overly concerned with that, but I am crushed for time right and that is the primary reason I may not get to it.

If you don't want to do it or don't have time bring them along to the expo and I should be able to swap a few in a hour or so. Assuming, of course, you have room in your moving van.

Space is going to be a premium, but if I do have extra space this is certainly a possibility. What else would you need me to bring in order to successfully do such transplanting?

..Al

Space is going to be a premium, but if I do have extra space this is certainly a possibility. What else would you need me to bring in order to successfully do such transplanting?

..Al

Just the monitors that need to be swapped. I can bring the Philips screwdriver and discharge tool.

Mitch