IGNORED

Pitfall II Arcade: Change color of frogs and balloons?

Pixelboy

Pitfall II Arcade: Change color of frog and balloon?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should I change the color of the frog to green and the balloon to light red?

• Frogs should be green, balloons should be light red
    • Frogs should stay red, balloons should be light red
    • Frogs should be green, balloon should stay magenta
    • Frogs should stay red, balloons should stay magenta

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

We're still in the beta-testing phase for Pitfall II Arcade, and Yurkie has been graciously helping out. He indicated that he found the colors of the various creatures (bats and frogs in particular) a little weird and that it would be a good idea to adjust their colors. I wasn't sure at first, but just for the heck of it, I asked Stephen to change the color of the scorpions from magenta to white, and the bats from green to magenta. I have to say I really like magenta for the bats, and the white scorpions also look more like the ones in the existing Pitfall games on ColecoVision. So those are definately keepers for the final version of the CV port.

Now I'm wondering if I should change the color of the frogs from red to green. Also, having magenta bats with magenta balloons in the tall shaft area is not ideal, so I was thinking of changing the balloons from magenta to light red, to better distinguish them from the bats. I decided to run a poll, so you can all help me decide. :)

While I'm at it, I think now is a good time to post a little Team Pixelboy news update: The stickers has been applied on all the Gulkave, Girl's Garden and Peek-a-boo cartridges, but the boxes haven't even begun to get cut, folded and glued. I've encountered a little setback for the production of the metal guide that I need to cut the boxes (with an X-acto knife) but the problem should be resolved before the end of this week. Sorry for keeping you all waiting like this, but now you can see why I never ask customers to pay in advance for their pre-orders... ;)

In other news, I'm looking for a 600 DPI scan of the box of "Space Shuttle" for Atari 5200. I'm looking for the first-run edition of the box, not the second run with the "reused" Atari 2600 box. If you own the game with the correct box, and are willing to scan the front of the box for me, please send me a PM.

Thanks.

Edited by Pixelboy

We're still in the beta-testing phase for Pitfall II Arcade, and Yurkie has been graciously helping out. He indicated that he found the colors of the various creatures (bats and frogs in particular) a little weird and that it would be a good idea to adjust their colors. I wasn't sure at first, but just for the heck of it, I asked Stephen to change the color of the scorpions from magenta to white, and the bats from green to magenta. I have to say I really like magenta for the bats, and the white scorpions also look more like the ones in the existing Pitfall games on ColecoVision. So those are definately keepers for the final version of the CV port.

Now I'm wondering if I should change the color of the frogs from red to green. Also, having magenta bats with magenta balloons in the tall shaft area is not ideal, so I was thinking of changing the balloons from magenta to light red, to better distinguish them from the bats. I decided to run a poll, so you can all help me decide. :)

While I'm at it, I think now is a good time to post a little Team Pixelboy news update: The stickers has been applied on all the Gulkave, Girl's Garden and Peek-a-boo cartridges, but the boxes haven't even begun to get cut, folded and glued. I've encountered a little setback for the production of the metal guide that I need to cut the boxes (with an X-acto knife) but the problem should be resolved before the end of this week. Sorry for keeping you all waiting like this, but now you can see why I never ask customers to pay in advance for their pre-orders... ;)

In other news, I'm looking for a 600 DPI scan of the box of "Space Shuttle" for Atari 5200. I'm looking for the first-run edition of the box, not the second run with the "reused" Atari 2600 box. If you own the game with the correct box, and are willing to scan the front of the box for me, please send me a PM.

Thanks.

I like the color changes your programmer made. I like the red frogs. I don't think the balloon color is a big deal.

Great work!

How does it look with green frogs against the green background on the surface level? Does the frog not vanish against the background?

Good point, but it's okay if dark green is used for the frog. The green background the frog jumps over is actually light green.

Personally, I like the magenta balloons - how about light red for the bats?

Bats will stay magenta, that much is certain. :)

I attached some comparison pictures. On the left side, the sprites are colored according to the original SG-1000 game. The proposed color changes are presented on the right side. With these pics, I tend to believe having red frogs is better. Light red balloons may not be ideal, since the cavern walls are light red. I inserted balloons of different colors, just to see the results. I think light blue looks really nice... In any case, I can't see myself using magenta for both the balloons and the bats. The ColecoVision offers 16 colors, I think they should be used towards the best result achievable, and balloons should be easely differentiable from bats in the big shaft.

post-7743-127301185071_thumb.png

How does it look with green frogs against the green background on the surface level? Does the frog not vanish against the background?

Good point, but it's okay if dark green is used for the frog. The green background the frog jumps over is actually light green.

I attached some comparison pictures. On the left side, the sprites are colored according to the original SG-1000 game. The proposed color changes are presented on the right side. With these pics, I tend to believe having red frogs is better. Light red balloons may not be ideal, since the cavern walls are light red. I inserted balloons of different colors, just to see the results. I think light blue looks really nice... In any case, I can't see myself using magenta for both the balloons and the bats. The ColecoVision offers 16 colors, I think they should be used towards the best result achievable, and balloons should be easely differentiable from bats in the big shaft.

NICE!!! icon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_lust.gif

I agree - the red frogs and light blue balloons look good.

• Like 1

stealth ninja frogs...

the NES had the TMT , Teenage Mutant Turtles , so the coleco could have the SNF! :D

:lol: Why not put in black bats, while we're at it, and make the game really impossible? :D

I love that idea - adds an uncanny sense of realism lacking in many retro games - who can see bats underground anyway. Reminds me of another game with "invisible" objects - James Bond 007 - if it's good enough for Parker Bros. then surely it's good enough for Team Pixelboy :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How about gray bats, brown frog/toad, and cyan balloons?

On the ColecoVision, gray is rather close to white, especially on more recent TVs, and scorpions are already white, so gray bats would make the enemies kinda monochrome in several spots in the game. Brown is actually dark red on the CV, so I would guess that what you're really saying is that the frog should stay red.

The decision was made last week: Bats will be magenta, scorpions will be white, frogs will stay dark red, crows will stay dark blue, and balloon will be cyan.

Thanks for your input, guys. :)