IGNORED

Favorite D&D-Style Game?

Favorite D&D-Style Game  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you get your fantasy kicks?

• Cloudy Mountain
    • Treasure of Tarmin
    • Thunder Castle
    • Swords & Serpents

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Some of the best games on the Intellivision, imho, were the D&D-style games. What's your favorite?

Cloudy Mountain:

advanced_dungeons_and_dragons.png

Treasure of Tarmin:

advanced_dungeons_and_dragons__treasure_of_tarmin.png

Thunder Castle (not really D&D, but it has the box art):

intellivision-568x440.jpg

or Imagic's Swords & Serpents (close enough to D&D):

swords_and_serpents.png

Back in the day I'd have said "Treasure of Tarmin." Way ahead of it's time, and a great game. I spent so much time going through those mazes. These days, however, it's a little hard to play since so many other dungeon crawlers have come down the pike. Cloudy Mountain is still a blast, so that gets my vote. How about you?

I voted for Cloudy Mountain because it's the only one I can get through! :) I do like the exploratory room/tunnel aspect of it, too.

Thunder Castle is a great game...pretty difficult, though.

Treasure of Tarmin, I haven't really spent enough time with to be able to comment one way or the other. What I played of it was pretty rad, though! I should fire it up one of these days.

Swords & Serpents, I don't care for so much. It's okay, I just can't get into it.

Dark Tower is pretty awesome, too!

I played Cloudy Mountain, Tarmin and Thunder Castle a lot when they came out originally, and enjoyed all three (also Tower too). Tarmin, even on the day, was very blocky and moved in a similar way as I recall, although I played the whole game through. Cloudy Mountain I think is the most playable of these games "today", so gets my vote!

I voted for Cloudy Mountain although I too enjoy all 5 (including Tower).

This was one genre that INTV did surprisingly well with, especially since many people think of sports games only when they think of Intellivision.

Was it the first "first person shooter" ?

No. As far as home systems go, I think that would be Star Ship on the Atari VCS, from 1977. There were also others that predated Tarmin, notably Star Raiders.

Is Tarmin really a FPS though? It seems more like a 3D maze-type game (which, incidentally, also predate Tarmin) with combat elements.

I think it makes sense that these game types fit the INTV. With the keypad being so important to the system and with it being marketed as a more intellectual choice, it's more of a system for tabletop-types. It had a decent strategy game (utopia), and the aforementioned DND titles. Basically, it kinda failed as an arcade-port machine, due to controls as much as anything, and so found this strength instead.

And since I'm the DM (I really am), what I say goes.