42 members have voted

1. 1. And the winner is...

• Decathlon (Activision)
    • Track & Field (Atari)
    • Summer Games (Epyx)
    • Winter Games (Epyx)
    • California Games (Epyx)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

What?! No Video Olympics? PONG all the way baby!

Since V.O. was not an option I voted for Decathlon. I have fond memories of tag teaming that with a good friend. One of use would make the guy run while the other would control the button for the jumping and throwing events and we took turns on the distance events to prevent hand cramps/fatigue.

Fond memories of PLAYING the game that is.. I'm not really fond of breaking joysticks.. figured I'd clear that up since I got so many PM's about it.

Just some of the comments in PM's I received, names withheld:

"Joystick murderer!"

"So that's where you learned to ejaculate two times in 18 seconds"

"Wax on, wax off"

"You get your kicks on killing innocent little joysticks"

Okay, so none of them are real and the second one is kind of a joke on the Farmers Daughter text-adventure for the C64.

Although I've played Decathlon throughout the years, there's just something about Winter Games that I think lets it edge out a little.

Don't get me wrong, though. A lot of quality work went into Decathlon and it shows. I think what hurts the game though, is the punishing difficulty of the joystick movement. One slip, one out of time movement, and you slow down a lot.

WINTER GAMES 1# for me.

Surprised how many votes Decathlon gets as most the game is shaking the joystick left right as fast as you can... not much talent involved.

CALIFORNIA GAMES 2#

SUMMER GAMES 3#

Decathlon 4#

What is Track & Field??? Atari made one for the 2600?

Track & Field is much like Decathlon -- several joystick-jiggling events. But, 2600 T&F came with a special controller, much like the control panel of the arcade game. It even allowed players to perform the same cheat (weaving one's off-hand fingers around a pencil or similar object, one can use just one's favored hand to rapidly press the buttons alternately).

Track & Field is much like Decathlon -- several joystick-jiggling events. But, 2600 T&F came with a special controller, much like the control panel of the arcade game. It even allowed players to perform the same cheat (weaving one's off-hand fingers around a pencil or similar object, one can use just one's favored hand to rapidly press the buttons alternately).

Ah, yes, pulling out a hard rubber comb just for that purpose in the arcade, memories...

I never considered that cheating... Plus something flatter with a little flex is less painful!

I don't consider it cheating either. I had a small fan base back in the day because of my pencil skills. Scores obtained this way aren't allowed in Twin-Galaxies, however.

I never considered that cheating... Plus something flatter with a little flex is less painful!

I don't consider it cheating either. I had a small fan base back in the day because of my pencil skills. Scores obtained this way aren't allowed in Twin-Galaxies, however.

I've seen this done before, but never really caught how exactly your doing it. are you just resting the pencil over the two buttons and just pressing one side down? Can you enlighten me with the way of the pencil? :P

Put the pencil (COMB!) over your left pointer finger with the other 3 fingers holding it down on the left button, then tap away on the right side which will hit the right button and release the left. Perfect back and forth!

Your left pointer will act like the fulcrum. I can draw or take a picture if needed.