IGNORED

Lynx History - Original Names

Peter Engelbrite

Wow, I'm not sure how I missed this topic the first time around.

Peter, I really enjoyed reading your Epyx stories. If you have any more to share, please do!

Also, thanks for giving us Slime World! I poured hundreds of hours into that game when I was younger, and I still play it every now and then. It's among my ten favorite games of all time.

• 2 years later...

No. I'm not. Generally 70 years after the author dies, or up to 120 in certain cases. That's why Disney was able to release the black and white Mickey Mouse cartoons on DVD. If they hadn't won that copyright extension, there never would have been a DVD release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._copyright_law

Before Handy, the original name of the project was "Red Eye" because it was originally going to link to other handhelds via infrared.

Many people know that the working title for the Lynx was "Handy". What you might not know is that for a brief time Atari had named it the Atari Portable Entertainment System. When I pointed out that the acronym would be A.P.E.S. they changed it to Lynx. The very first name for the Lynx was: "The Electronic Nuclear Toaster". There was a time when the project was top secret, even within Epyx. There were security locks on the doors to the Lynx development area and the Nuclear Toaster was the official (well, semi-official) name for the project. There was a sheet describing the toaster taped outside the door. At one point one of the Epyx programmers opened up the ceiling tiles and crawled over to take a look (I knew it was you, Kevin). Eventually the secret was out and it was known as the Handy.