IGNORED

32 in 1 OS from AtariMax

rchennau

I mean no disrespect but what are the advantages of the 32 in 1 OS beyond having 32 different OS available? I like AtariMax products and am considering purchasing the 32 in 1 OS but can't seem to figure out what I would use it for in a meaningful way? I am a relative newbie to the scene so I may be missing an important aspect. I have an 800XL and a 600XL I could plug it into but not sure what benefit it would provide.

You get a lot of extended compatibility with the 32 in 1 OS. Certain software was designed to only work under 1 specific Atari OS, so you'll find some disks won't load properly. They created a "Translator" to cover the big 400/800 to XL issues but there are still some things out there that just don't work right. The OSes are different regions and different versions, so it guarantees compatibility! :) (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I do not have this **YET** but it is something that I am most definitely interested in.

Having said that, I suspect it's a case of "why not?" overkill. It was 4-in-1 OS before (correct if wrong).

The features that most interest me:

"Ultraspeed/Warpspeed" all the time if drive (or substitute device) capable

Cold-restart without powering down (stop killing the machine with off/on just to switch games)

Reverse BASIC (stop holding the option key)

Atari 800 OS for playing *really* old games

Those features are what make it worth it. I'll take the other stuff too, and I suspect it didn't cost any more to pack in those other OS.

32 OS is overkill for most users, but "Jimmy" wants these 4 and "Joe" has quite a few different systems and finds he needs a sightly different mix of 10 for certain combinations of hardware. And "Larry" (being somewhat adventurous) finds that he wants to modify several of the OS to add special features, so he changes his 32-in-1 from time to time.

As you surmise, not for everyone -- but definitely useful for some folks. P.S. I also like the flashable internal MyIDE. One can load an OS and test changes a whole lot easier than erasing/burning an eprom with each change.

-Larry

I mean no disrespect but what are the advantages of the 32 in 1 OS beyond having 32 different OS available?

If you have the MyIDE interface, you can have the MyIDE OS in the 32-in-1 to increase compatibility compared to the RAM based MyIDE OS.

Robert

I mean no disrespect but what are the advantages of the 32 in 1 OS beyond having 32 different OS available? I like AtariMax products and am considering purchasing the 32 in 1 OS but can't seem to figure out what I would use it for in a meaningful way? I am a relative newbie to the scene so I may be missing an important aspect. I have an 800XL and a 600XL I could plug it into but not sure what benefit it would provide.

I would guess four of the 32 would be the most useful.

original XL for most stuff

800 A and B for trying to get some older software to work.

Then the most important, worth the $50 because you can't get it any more... OMNIMON.

Omnimon can be used to dump your cartridges to sectors on a disk.

Once dumped, you can change the disk sectors to a file (some utilities needed, I wrote my own.)

So, for the person who just wants 32 OSes for the novelty, it probably not much use.

For the adventurous, who'd like to break into any cart and dump it, really good.

Also, the MyIDE stuff if you have it.

Edited by russg

• 8 years later...

I remember at one time, you could put whatever ROMS you had in it using a custom configuration web page. I've used it before but I don't remember the link to it tho... ask Steven.

@bf2k+ @Larry

any idea if this can still be done? am interested in modding my own 32-in-1

Edited by Guest

I won't be like someone and scoop everything out from under you, or not help...PM and I will dig up a link.

or you can ask Steve directly, on his site or in email... as that is where you can find most answers or be answered.

Once you make your roms, you flash it using an Atarimax cart and swap the chip from the cart to the 32-in-1

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I'm waiting for a PLCC adapter for my TL866 programmer so I can dump and re-program the chip on my 32-in-1. I'd like to have OS's like a stock OS with HIAS' highspeed routines, BOSS XL, TURBOSS, and Shoestring's RAM tester.

If there's no longer a pre-built tool to do this, I imagine the OS's are merely arranged as 32 consecutive 16KB blocks and can just be replaced/overwritten on the 16K boundaries ?

Then, probably have to manually hex-edit the menu selection names to match. Hopefully checksums are not performed on that area.

Am I on the right track if anyone has done this before?

• Like 1

I have one of these in my main machine (1200XL). It works great. Warp +OS is worth the price alone. Then having easy access to other OS's is handy to have. I only use a few most often, but good to know I have others if needed.

But going over the Atarimax site about it. There is no verbose explanation of each OS. Some of the menu sections are a bit cryptic.

It might be helpful if there was a page/doc/post/etc with a detailed description of each OS version listed. It might show features, restrictions, commands, usefulness, etc.

But I might have missed that on the Atarimax site.

I'm waiting for a PLCC adapter for my TL866 programmer so I can dump and re-program the chip on my 32-in-1. I'd like to have OS's like a stock OS with HIAS' highspeed routines, BOSS XL, TURBOSS, and Shoestring's RAM tester.

If there's no longer a pre-built tool to do this, I imagine the OS's are merely arranged as 32 consecutive 16KB blocks and can just be replaced/overwritten on the 16K boundaries ?

Then, probably have to manually hex-edit the menu selection names to match. Hopefully checksums are not performed on that area.

Am I on the right track if anyone has done this before?

Yes: ROMs are arranged in 16K blocks but the menu is in the middle of one of the ROMs (in the unused IO region), and - having been asked to modify one and having taken it apart in a hex editor - I concluded that there's some tokenisation or other oddness in the menu data. Not a straightforward procedure without some hints.

My conclusion: if you want to swap multiple operating systems on a regular basis, get an Ultimate 1MB, which makes the process extremely easy instead of incredibly tricky.

• Like 4

There is no verbose explanation of each OS. Some of the menu sections are a bit cryptic.

It might be helpful if there was a page/doc/post/etc with a detailed description of each OS version listed. It might show features, restrictions, commands, usefulness, etc.

Here is the options that came with my 32-in-1 out of the box, with a little more intelligible description of each:

A     APE Warp+ OS (XL/XE)                               APE Warp+ OS
B     Atari XL/XE OS (REV A)                             XL/XE (REV A)
C     Atari XL/XE OS (REV B)                             XL/XE (REV B)
D     Atari XL/XE OS (REV C)                             XL/XE (REV C)
E     Atari XEGS OS (REV D)                              XEGS (REV D)
F     Atari 800 OS-B                                     800 (OS-B)
G     Atari 400 OS-A                                     400 (OS-A,P)
H     Atari 800 Compatible OS                            800 Compatible
I     Atari XL/XE OS w/ Reverse BASIC (REV A)            XL/XE (R-A,RB)
J     Atari XL/XE OS w/ Reverse BASIC (REV B)            XL/XE (R-B,RB)
K     Atari XL/XE OS w/ Reverse BASIC (REV C)            XL/XE (R-C,RB)
L     Atari XEGS OS w/ Reverse BASIC (REV D)             XL/XE (R-D,RB)
M     Atari 1200XL OS (REV 11)                           1200XL (REV 5)
N     Atari 1200XL OS (REV 10)                           1200XL (REV 10)
O     Atari XL/XE Arabic OS                              ARABIC XL/XE
P     ARGS-OS (Ralf David ROM-Disk: Select+Reset)        ARGS-OS
Q     Atari XL/XE OS w/ Pal Mods (REV A)                 XL/XE (R-A,P)
R     Atari XL/XE OS w/ Pal Mods (REV B)                 XL/XE (R-B,P)
S     Atari XL/XE OS w/ Pal Mods (REV C)                 XL/XE (R-C,P)
T     Atari XEGS OS w/ Pal Mods (REV D)                  XEGS (R-D,P)
U     Atari XL/XE OS w/ Pal Mods + Reverse BASIC (REV A) XL/XE(R-A,P,RB)
V     Atari XL/XE OS w/ Pal Mods + Reverse BASIC (REV B) XL/XE(R-B,P,RB)
W     Atari XL/XE OS w/ Pal Mods + Reverse BASIC (REV C) XL/XE(R-C,P,RB)
X     Atari XEGS OS w/ Pal Mods + Reverse BASIC (REV D)  XEGS(R-D,P,RB)
Y     QMEG OS V3 (c)87 S.Dorndorf                        QMEG TEST ROM
Z     David Young OmnimonXL (C)1984                      OMNIMON TEST
0     David Young OmnimonXL (C)1984 w/ Reverse BASIC     OMNIMON R-Basic
1     David Young OmniView XE w/ Reverse BASIC           OmniView 80
2     MyIDE 3.1e                                         MyIDE 3.1e
3     MyIDE 3.1i                                         MyIDE 3.1i
4     Warp+ OS r11                                       Warp+ OS r11

you have to use the super secret registered user decoder ring and handshake to get in.
AtariMax loves to see you at https://www.atarimax.com and of course https://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/
of course to get your' very own genuine experience, register and get your own super secret decoder ring @
https://www.atarimax.com/warpos/documentation/
share configs with your friends

Edited by _The Doctor__