IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

I know where you read it, cause I told everyone not to use it in that thread too, but at the time you had no choice so you disregarded my advice. ;)

Type 1 is FIAD and Type 2 is Disk Image. You should find that in the manual on page 41. (Actually I think I never updated the manual regarding disk writes...)

Type 3 is a hack I put in solely for my own use. It was never polished nor intended for general use. I know no secrets remain secrets forever, but I never intended to support it in that state. ;)

• Like 1

CS1 is on my list already. It'd be neat to see it work but it doesn't really have much demand from a development standpoint.

Cheers Tursi :)

Oh I don't know, you know .... there are instances where one would wish for a cassette image ... look at my "Castle Conquer" ... there's a 16K extended basic version out there, intended to be for "cassette" ... it's a WAV for MESS/MAME .... Had Classic99 used cassettes it would be for that too! :)

And I think from a nostalgic standpoint, it's lovely to type OLD CS1 and listen to the tape from time to time. then "DATA OK" and all of that.

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 2

Cheers Tursi :)

Oh I don't know, you know .... there are instances where one would wish for a cassette image ... look at my "Castle Conquer" ... there's a 16K extended basic version out there, intended to be for "cassette" ... it's a WAV for MESS/MAME .... Had Classic99 used cassettes it would be for that too! :)

And I think from a nostalgic standpoint, it's lovely to type OLD CS1 and listen to the tape from time to time. then "DATA OK" and all of that.

hehe, not me. I had /only/ cassette tape and TI BASIC for 6 years, that was all I could work with and I did, every day. I've heard enough to last me a lifetime. ;)

But like I say, it's on the list. Reading in a WAV file can be faked pretty easily, but working with real tape needs pretty sharp timing, and to me that was more useful.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

OK so after the last update Classic99 stopped being able to read the P-system disks... I checked the .ini file and DSK1-3 are type 2 as they should normally. Can someone please verify this issue or is it just something I'm doing wrong?

I seem to have reproduced here. Both types 2 and 3 are failing, and the debug log shows no attempts to access disk at all (but I can't remember when it should. I tested but trying to load the editor).

I've lost a lot of source control history over the last two years... do you know the last version that worked? I'm not sure what I might have changed. :)

It's a BUGGER when that happens. I had a number of bug regressions in TurboForth owing to my sloppy care of source files.

It takes ten times longer to fix a bug that you've "already" fixed! I mean, it's already fixed, right? No point looking there... the bug must be somewhere else because you've already fixed it!

Two days later you notice the date stamp on the file and DOH!

I seem to have reproduced here. Both types 2 and 3 are failing, and the debug log shows no attempts to access disk at all (but I can't remember when it should. I tested but trying to load the editor).

I've lost a lot of source control history over the last two years... do you know the last version that worked? I'm not sure what I might have changed. :)

Unfortunately I don't remember. There is a slim possibility that the Classic99 version on my desktop might still be the older version. I'll check when I get back home tonight. If I recall correctly, initially disk access was not an issue, just writing to the disks, and that was solved by simply using Type 3 disks. The current issue seems a bit more problematic though...

There's no attempt to access the disk at all right now, it just comes up with 'can't find system.editor'.

Willsy, unfortunately even timestamps won't help me - the data copy I did to my new machine blew away all my timestamps. ;)

There's always hope of a fix, no worries. How desperate is your need?

I checked Perforce this morning and there's actually about 16 months of history, so it may be simpler than I thought. My main issue is I don't know much about how the pCode works, so I'll have to roll back and see if an older version worked. I also need to reinstall VS2010, as my new machine doesn't have it and I'm not prepared to upgrade the whole build yet.

Hopefully get to it this week.

And no, I don't keep old versions. I know it's a good thing to do for historical purposes, but usually I've got source control if I really need to. Since it's on GitHub now it'll hopefully be stable for a while. ;)

• Like 1

The p-code system worked perfectly with the previous version of Classic99 and I have been developing my Phoenix chess program using it. I'm not using any special features under emulation as it is just for the convenience and portability of the development process. I could do it just as well on real hardware, but then I'll be confined to the time when I'm home...

I paid a little more attention to the debug log while booting it up tonight and I know what the issue is.. a previous fix to prevent disk reads to VDP from writing to >4000 got a little too ambitious. The pCode card loads all its sectors starting at >3F00 and is tripping up that check, which is rejecting the read outright (and it shouldn't).

It's a bit late tonight, but I'll get VS2010 installed again tomorrow night and fix that for you, Vorticon. :) It should be a quick fix. Looks like that went into 391 so 390 should be the newest version still working.

I paid a little more attention to the debug log while booting it up tonight and I know what the issue is.. a previous fix to prevent disk reads to VDP from writing to >4000 got a little too ambitious. The pCode card loads all its sectors starting at >3F00 and is tripping up that check, which is rejecting the read outright (and it shouldn't).

It's a bit late tonight, but I'll get VS2010 installed again tomorrow night and fix that for you, Vorticon. :) It should be a quick fix. Looks like that went into 391 so 390 should be the newest version still working.

Thank you!!!

On a different tack, I was checking out Marc Hull's site to see if there was anything new in the wings, and I came across this blurp regarding the SID99 card:

"This is the SID Player that comes with the SID Master 99 card. Available for use on older versions of the Classic 99 emulator. I pissed Tursi off a while back and he removed the SID emulation from Classic 99 so you will definitely need an older version or just buy a card and use it in your real TI PEB system. 3 files on a disk in EA5 format."

I think this is as close to an apology as you are ever going to get :-D. Any chance of reconsidering supporting the card in the future?

Yeah, he wrote that years ago... I saw it. ;)

I never removed support, I only deprecated it, meaning that I would not answer questions about how to use it or take particular interest in bugs or updates for it. I did stop shipping the DLL (but did not remove the hooks, if you have the siddll.dll it should work).

The card is disabled by default as there was a pretty heavy CPU hit to emulating the SID. If it doesn't just work, you can add this to the Classic99.ini to enable (after putting siddll.dll in the same folder):

[audio]
sid_blaster=1

Note there is probably already an [audio] section, it goes in there. ;)

I thought I had put the siddll.dll back into the archive, but I don't have it here. I'll track it down and post it later. (It's probably already posted on the site, too, ISTR doing that before).

On a different tack, I was checking out Marc Hull's site to see if there was anything new in the wings, and I came across this blurp regarding the SID99 card:

"This is the SID Player that comes with the SID Master 99 card. Available for use on older versions of the Classic 99 emulator. I pissed Tursi off a while back and he removed the SID emulation from Classic 99 so you will definitely need an older version or just buy a card and use it in your real TI PEB system. 3 files on a disk in EA5 format."

I think this is as close to an apology as you are ever going to get :-D. Any chance of reconsidering supporting the card in the future?

What should I apologize for Walid ,

Classic99 version 395

-added cartridge eject to the menu

-added CPU and GPU separate debug options (not certain they are 100%)

-fix certain reset issues by enabling a forced breakpoint

-throttling updates to improve consistency

-added tests for VRAM file buffers to aid debug of code that overwrites them

-fix disk access that writes right up to >3FFF (pCode card in particular)

-disable F18A status register select debug

-add warning on odd PC address being set

-add support for F18A GPU: CALL,RET,PUSH,POP,SLC

-updated HQ4X filter - new filter code and should fix corrupted graphics in DIB blit mode

-reduce duplicated debug when setting top of VRAM

http://harmlesslion.com/software/classic99

This should fix the pCode for you, Vorticon!

• Like 2

The one potential issue is I couldn't test on a non-Win10 machine -- so if anyone can try it on XP or 7, please let me know if it starts. ;)

I have a Win7 machine on bench here at work. Give me a few to download it and I'll let you know.

Edit to add: I can launch the app on my Win7 machine, but when I load a cartridge and try to press '2' to launch it, it won't let me. Key presses after you go past the 'boot' screen don't do anything. :)

Edited by digdugnate