IGNORED

HSC Season 3: Labor Day Tournament 1980

Phoenix

There's a clip on YouTube of someone who shows how to get the 200,000 bonus points.

Looks easy doesn't it? lol

I downloaded an INP file from MARP to learn how to do the trick.

I would not recommend doing the trick in the way it was done in the video. There is a much easier way and even so it is difficult to do. I have not seen any written instruction on how to do it so for me it's been trial and error. I have not been able to do it "on demand."

I don't see a YouTube video on how to do it the way I learned so I will have to do the best I can in words:

•  
  • The first time you hit level 2, at the beginning of the stage move your ship all the way to the left
  • First you will see one bird descend in the middle of the screen then a trio of birds just to the right will descend. Do not do anything at this point - just keep your ship pinned to the left side of the screen.
  • Three birds will narrowly miss your ship as they head off of the screen on the left hand side.
  • When they leave the screen, move your ship about an inch to the right.
  • When the three birds return to the screen, quickly fire in an attempt to kill them all off as fast as you can. When done successfully, you have performed the trick and will be rewarded 200K.

It takes practice. I must've tried it 25 times in a row before I pulled it off. Unless you're pumping quarters into an arcade machine, it would be easier just to restart your game to try again.

Edited by rmaerz

Phoenix

There's a clip on YouTube of someone who shows how to get the 200,000 bonus points.

Looks easy doesn't it? lol

I downloaded an INP file from MARP to learn how to do the trick.

I would not recommend doing the trick in the way it was done in the video. There is a much easier way and even so it is difficult to do. I have not seen any written instruction on how to do it so for me it's been trial and error. I have not been able to do it "on demand."

I don't see a YouTube video on how to do it the way I learned so I will have to do the best I can in words:

•  
  • The first time you hit level 2, at the beginning of the stage move your ship all the way to the left
  • First you will see one bird descend in the middle of the screen then a trio of birds just to the right will descend. Do not do anything at this point - just keep your ship pinned to the left side of the screen.
  • Three birds will narrowly miss your ship as they head off of the screen on the left hand side.
  • When they leave the screen, move your ship about an inch to the right.
  • When the three birds return to the screen, quickly fire in an attempt to kill them all off as fast as you can. When done successfully, you have performed the trick and will be rewarded 200K.

It takes practice. I must've tried it 25 times in a row before I pulled it off. Unless you're pumping quarters into an arcade machine, it would be easier just to restart your game to try again.

How many times can this trick be done in one game?

Let's say you do it on level 2, can it be done again later in the game ... say level 7?

Edited by roadrunner

How many times can this trick be done in one game?

Let's say you do it on level 2, can it be done again later in the game ... say level 7?

It has been said that it is possible. You want to do it early on in the game so you can get the extra ships. I have read that it is possible to do the trick twice in a game but you will actually lose points doing it - maybe taking you back to 200K?

Castle: 13,050

I played about a half-dozen games in a row averaging about 7K. In the latter stages of Star Castle, those missiles that follow you around ramp up to an insane speed (I watched a guy at Funspot get 20K+ and it was crazy).

I did something differently in this last game. I remember reading Joystiq (?) tips and tricks on Defender. The article said that "the key to Defender was to keep moving around" - which you could say the same for Star Castle. The article said to "use your thrust and fire button as one button" i.e. press them simultaneously.

So, that's what I did differently in my last game. Aside from the earlier stages when you can remain stationary for a bit and fire away at the castle, I pressed fire and thrust at the same time and got my highest score yet.

Since I only played one game using this technique, it remains to be seen if this is effective. I would be interested if you folks try this and see if it yields better results.

What's hampering my game is that I am playing with a joystick and you just do not get the same precision as you would using buttons as found in the arcade game.

Berzerk: 1,930 (Got that humanoid!)

Centipede: 8,359 (Bugger! I could've done better!)

Cheeky Mouse: 6,330 (How much you want to bet someone at Universal was a fan of Monty Python?)

Crazy Climber: 15,000 (I wonder if his name is Eddie?)

Defender: 1,200 (No comment.)

Pac-Man: 20,940 (Hey, sometimes you do good, sometimes you don't.)

Phoenix: 2,940 (I could've done better, I just wasn't giving it all my mental energies.)

Space Firebird: 1,190 (If Nintendo didn't get Donkey Kong and kept making stuff like this, the NES may never have made it out, and I don't wanna think about that!)

Star Castle: 3,540 (I can see how this was inspiration for Yar's Revenge.)

Does anybody know about the 100k bonus trick on Phoenix?

I think i might have found a trick for this game that nobody else knows about, until now.

I recorded my game play footage. Check it out!

my score 109,200

I saved a bunch of screenshots.

I did this 2 times before i recorded my game. this trick seems very easy to do.

I zipped the inp file because i wasn't permitted to upload this kind of file. :(

Edited by roadrunner

So is this 100k point bonus on Phoenix something i just discovered or did people already know about it?

It makes me wonder what other hidden point bonus tricks Phoenix has that we don't know about yet.

I couldn't playback the input. There's another trick called "the suicide trick" but I don't know anything about it.