IGNORED

Just got a deal on ePay!

Frizo

I just got vic-20, with all cords, 2 games, and a joystick for 21.23 on ePay.

A deal or did I just get cheated? Im just glad I finally picked one up, I mean, I have been look at them for months, and always put in on hold.

And, for the record, the games are 'Pirate Adventure' and some chess game, I really don't remember. Anyways, any suggestions at all? Im really interested in this and it is the 9th member to my console collection! Welcome, Vic-20!

If you're happy with it, it's a great deal! :-)

There's always going to be someone who paid less (or was given it and a Vectrex AND PAID to take them! ;-) ), but $20 isn't much for a working anything electronic nowadays! :-)

The tough choice now will be, do you get the Vic-20 Megacart!

http://www.mega-cart.com/

I have NOT gotten this, because it's $100.. :-) It's worth it, I'm just too cheap..

Either way, the one game I remember and recommend is OmegaRace.. Great game!!!

Also, did you get a tape drive?

If so, you can DL some TAP files, convert them to WAV/MP3 and save them to tape and play tape games..

Although, the nicer tape/disk games will require extra RAM.

(If you're looking at extra RAM, again, the Megacart has it, so it's worth a look. You know what, you can buy 2, and I'll hold one for you as an..er. off-site backup.. yeah.. ;-) )

Anyway, the Vic-20 was my first computer (that I owned). As much as people slam it (and it was simple), it was still a lot of fun and educational...

Someone JUST released a new Vic-20 game (requires extra memory) recently.. Yeah... It's a Berzerk clone.. Incredible looking!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myd_uRpG_Vw

There you go.. So, you can see, the Vic can be pretty awesome!!

Congrats!

desiv

Edited by desiv
  • Like 1

p.p.s. Proof the Vic-20 is the best?

TV Spokesperson

Atari? Alan Alda (from M.A.S.H)

Intellivision? George Plympton (Paper Lion)

Tandy (TRS-80) Bill Bixby (Incredible Hulk)

Vic-20 William Shatner!!!!!!

Booo Yeah!!!

;-)

The Shat rulez baby! :twisted:

He's still shows up at some Commie shows out west on occasion.

A deal or did I just get cheated? Im just glad I finally picked one up, I mean, I have been look at them for months, and always put in on hold.

And, for the record, the games are 'Pirate Adventure' and some chess game, I really don't remember. Anyways, any suggestions at all? Im really interested in this and it is the 9th member to my console collection! Welcome, Vic-20!

Nice score Frizo!

It's well worth it, and if you are happy then it's worth that much more!

Keep us in the loop on how it turns out.

Nice score Frizo!

It's well worth it, and if you are happy then it's worth that much more!

Keep us in the loop on how it turns out.

Thanks guys, and I will, I mean, for around 35 bucks (shipping included, 21.53 for the item alone, shipping is expensive nowadays)

I just paid for it last night, When it arrives, pics and all will be taken and posted!

With the books AND the Programmers Reference Manual!!! Nice!!!

And Pirate's Cove was one of my favorites.. Always liked text games!!!

Great looking setup!!!

Congrats!

desiv

I have always LOVED text adventure games, but I have never played them other than Flash games, can't wait to try it out!

And also, BASIC looks like something to toy around with.

Now all I need is the Datasette player, I hear you can save them. Gaming today cannot come close to the awesomeness of classic stuff.

(Does the PSP or DS have a FREAKING PRINTER?!?! (GBC))

Good score! There's lots of good stuff available for the vic-20. I've got a small collection but most are good. A few are a bit ambitious. C2N tape drives are easy to find.

The sky is falling

Super smash

Clowns

Sea wolf

Jupiter lander

Gorf

Cosmic cruncher

Avenger

Tooth invaders

Demon attack

Atlantis

Dragonfire

Choplifter

Threshold

Frogger

Battlezone

Centipede

Dig dug

Robotron: 2084

Galaxian

Moon patrol

Defender

There's always going to be someone who paid less (or was given it and a Vectrex AND PAID to take them! ;-) ), but $20 isn't much for a working anything electronic nowadays! :-)

I have NOT gotten this, because it's $100.. :-) It's worth it, I'm just too cheap..

Either way, the one game I remember and recommend is OmegaRace.. Great game!!!

Also, did you get a tape drive?

If so, you can DL some TAP files, convert them to WAV/MP3 and save them to tape and play tape games..

Although, the nicer tape/disk games will require extra RAM.

(If you're looking at extra RAM, again, the Megacart has it, so it's worth a look. You know what, you can buy 2, and I'll hold one for you as an..er. off-site backup.. yeah.. ;-) )

Anyway, the Vic-20 was my first computer (that I owned). As much as people slam it (and it was simple), it was still a lot of fun and educational...

Someone JUST released a new Vic-20 game (requires extra memory) recently.. Yeah... It's a Berzerk clone.. Incredible looking!!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Myd_uRpG_Vw

There you go.. So, you can see, the Vic can be pretty awesome!!

Congrats!

desiv

Yes the megacart is a bit pricey but an alternative, if they're still sold is the multi-cart with 32 games. I had one of these donated to me by Robert Hurst who is the creator of some great Vic-20 homebrews like Berzerk MMX, Quikman+ and Omega Fury which is a fantastic sequel to Omega Race. He did tell me that the newer version of the megacart (the $100 one) would include all his homebrews so it might be worth the price for those. They really are excellent games. I did a review of all 3 games recently and you can see it

if you're interested.

p.p.s. Proof the Vic-20 is the best?

TV Spokesperson

Atari? Alan Alda (from M.A.S.H)

Intellivision? George Plympton (Paper Lion)

Tandy (TRS-80) Bill Bixby (Incredible Hulk)

Vic-20 William Shatner!!!!!!

Booo Yeah!!!

;-)

You have to wonder what he got paid for those ads considering how cheap the Tramiel's were known to be. Also funny how Shatner says he never knew how to use a computer and he is actually afraid of them.

You have to wonder what he got paid for those ads considering how cheap the Tramiel's were known to be.

Good point, although it was after Star Trek was off the air for quite a while (Vic-20 released 1980?) and before T.J. Hooker (1982?)..

So he was probably desperate.. :-)

Hey, maybe it was the Vic-20 commercials that re-invogorated his career and is responsible for his getting T.J. Hooker..

hmmmmm... ;-)

desiv

You have to wonder what he got paid for those ads considering how cheap the Tramiel's were known to be.

Good point, although it was after Star Trek was off the air for quite a while (Vic-20 released 1980?) and before T.J. Hooker (1982?)..

Hey, maybe it was the Vic-20 commercials that re-invogorated his career and is responsible for his getting T.J. Hooker..

hmmmmm... ;-)

desiv

This had to be right before or during the Wrath of Khan era. I would love to hear the story regarding this.

• 2 weeks later...

hmmmmm... icon_winking.gif

desiv

This had to be right before or during the Wrath of Khan era. I would love to hear the story regarding this.

Don't forget the PET in the window of Kirks flat in Wrath of Khan when Bones brings him his birthday presents. Stroy goes it was a deliberate placement becasue of Bill Shatner's work done for Commodore.

I'll try and get a screen shot...

post-27012-128326612265_thumb.jpg

A tad dark but def a PET in the window - and still working after 300'ish years.

Just seen the Ebay pic - very nice. Seems like one of the earlier ones according to the commodore top label. Are the keyboard keys flat topped or concave? The early Vic-20 keyboards were flat topped. When the C64 came out late 82 with a better keybaord the vic-20 one was changed to match as well as the psu connector. The power switch was also rotated round 90degrees. Early ones the switch parallel to the floor but the later ones the switch is up and down. The commodore label had coloured lines between commodore and vic-20. One little fact is that although the vic originally cost £199 reduced to £149 when the C64 was released it only cost Commdore £45 to make. It wasn't a matter of cost up all the parts and labour and add a percentage markup but charge what the consumer would likely pay for it. When the price was reduced people were afraid that commdore would lose money on them.

My VC-20 (german vic) was given to me. Someone had handed it in to a computer shop I started working at and since they had no use for it gave it to me. So I got the unit, psu, older syle datasette, basic programmers guide 1, 5 cart games (1 boxed), 4 tape games (including a tape head cleaner) and user guide (blue with covers). recently got all the carts to work. Avenger is a very good space invaders clone. Only prob it's only for one player. The unit was not in the original box but did have a 'commodore user' black cover that has kept it in good condition. Problem with that plastic is that it goes yellow with age if left in sunlight.

Best of all is that the controller port is Atari compat so I can use one of my cx-40 joystick to play Avenger and Omega Race.

Lets see...

It's probably an older model, as the switch it like this:

switch.jpg

Not that exact switch, but that style.

I am not sure what you mean by concave, as the keys are ever so slightly concave, but not flat, that may be what you mean.

(Sorry for the size, all my BBCode wouldn't work for resizing ^.^')

That is a nice cart. I didn't realize they made a multicart for the Vic-20. I may actually have to start shopping for a Vic-20 now =)

Cliff

Lets see...

It's probably an older model, as the switch it like this:

switch.jpg

Not that exact switch, but that style.

I am not sure what you mean by concave, as the keys are ever so slightly concave, but not flat, that may be what you mean.

(Sorry for the size, all my BBCode wouldn't work for resizing ^.^')

def an older one. As for the kayboard that also seems to be original. Prob with my desc is that you would need to compare the KB with a c64 keyboard to understand what I could not describe.

Not sure if it makes a dif to the value but to me the older one would be my choice.