IGNORED

High Score Club 8.03 - Skate Boardin'

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

You know you're late for school, but what you don't know is that just overnight, an array of obstacles has been placed along the way. Radical man, this is a skateboarder's dream come true! You have to get to school on time, but passing up the chance to ride ramps or cruise tubes would make you look like a real nerd! You've got to conquer a total of thirty tubes and ramps in under five minutes to be totally awesome. Not only that, after you find all the tubes and ramps you have to find the front steps of the school building.

Note: Ranking will be based on how many objects remain, and players who manage to hit all 30 objects will be ranked based on time remaining.

skateboardin-attract.jpg

Game Information
  • Game Name: Skate Boardin'
  • Released By: Absolute, 1987
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Default

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday August 25th at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6).

Challenges
  • Marketing Master - Design (that is, photoshop a picture of) a skateboard deck that could have been used to promote this game, and you get [+3]
    • MrJimbo
    • Scrabbler15
    • toymailman
    • JacobZu7zu7
    • Deteacher
    • Pioneer4x4
    • HatefulGravey
    • roadrunner
    • Jifremok

Current High Scores
  1. 0 obstacles, 2:30 remaining (Jifremok) [+11]
    0 obstacles, 2:30 remaining (toymailman) [+11]
  2. 0 obstacles, 2:25 remaining (JacobZu7zu7) [+10]
  3. 0 obstacles, 2:17 remaining (Scrabbler15) [+9]
  4. 0 obstacles, 2:13 remaining (Deteacher) [+8]
  5. 0 obstacles, 0:01 remaining (oyamafamily) [+7]
  6. 8 obstacles, 0:41 remaining (LarcenTyler) [+6]
  7. 9 obstacles, 0:00 remaining (roadrunner) (TRUANT!) [+5]
  8. 10 obstacles, 0:00 remaining (MrJimbo) (TRUANT!) [+4]
    10 obstacles, 0:00 remaining (Mister VCS) (TRUANT!) [+4]
  9. 13 obstacles, 0:03 remaining (SeaGtGruff) [+3]
  10. 15 obstacles, 0:00 remaining (HatefulGravey) (TRUANT!) [+2]
  11. 17 obstacles, 0:00 remaining (ClassicGMR) (TRUANT!) [+1]
  12. 22 obstacles, 1:57 remaining (Pioneer4x4) [+1]

Best Tips
  • JacobZu7zu7 [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 0 objects, 0:26 remaining (David B Yancey)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. Jifremok [26]
  2. Scrabber15 [24]
  3. toymailman [17]up.gif
  4. JacobZu7zu7 [15]up.gif
  5. Chuck D. Head [13]up.gif
  6. zylon [12]down.gif
  7. HatefulGravey [12]down.gif
  8. Deteacher [10]new.gif
  9. oyamafamily [8]up.gif
  10. ClassicGMR [8]down.gif
  11. Pioneer4x4 [7]new.gif
  12. satan165 [7]down.gif
  13. LarcenTyler [5]down.gif
  14. roadrunner [5]down.gif
  15. 4Ks [4]new.gif
  16. MrJimbo [1]new.gif
  17. MIKE5200 [1]

Scoring Points in Skate Boardin'
  • There is no score in the traditional sense. There are 30 obstacles to trick off of, and you have 5 minutes to hit as many of them as possible.

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:

• Remember, each obstacle must be conquered only once. Try to improve upon your time by checking out new shortcuts.
  • If you want to max out your speed, get yourself up to the street (at the very top of the maze) and try to catch the truck when it passes the stop sign. If you miss it, get off of your board and position yourself with just your feet on the sidewalk. When it passes, it will pick you up and take you for a ride down the street. Get off by moving the joystick in the direction you want to go, but watch out - now you're really cruising!
  • You know you're close to the school when you find the schoolyard. If you get really stuck in the maze, try making a map.
  • There are rumors of a truly radical skateboarder who finished all thirty obstacles and got to school with more than 2 minutes left. See if you can top that!

JacubZu7zu7

Hey, remember to hold the button down (after) you jump with your board, and make sure u stay aligned kinda close to the "bottom" of the Tubes and not in the middle! ... practice at the begining of the game with those Tubes.

My best advice is play the game and memorize where everything is and what paths you take to skate around, and keep going on with your memorized pattern.

It's not as difficult as it sounds, but eventually you will get a pattern in your mind, of where all the obsticals are and by skating around them over and over, will become clear where you need to go.

Another tip, is practice hitting the targets at the top right section of the game, because that is the trickiest part and harder to remember.

Scrabbler15

Yeah, you always have to jump to get into the crouch.

If you're going full speed, you have jump in the screen before the tube. There's not enough space to do it in the same screen the tube is in.

Here's the rest of my tips:

1. Make a map.

2. Make a map.

3. See tip 1.

Deteacher

I found a little "trick" that could be helpful, but learning how to use this trick will take some serious practice:

You can grab onto the back of the truck and ride as you speed down the road. You pick up some serious speed. Again, learning to control yourself on the board while going that fast is the real trick. I did manage to jump on one ramp and literally flew across a whole screen. Gnarly, dude!

Pioneer4x4

Check out the map he made here!

--Zero

First try, time 0:00/18 objects left.

In general, I must have skated too far upwards and missed ramps.

Pic comes later when I improve my score.

Manuals ratings... (I made "Cool")

Number of

Obstacles left Rating

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

30-25...................Spaz

24-20...................Nerd

19-10...................Cool

9-1.....................Radical

0.......................Totally Awesome

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

I can't figure out how to go thur the tubes.

I seen a video clip of it done on Youtube, But i just can't do it.

19 obstacles missed

Hey, remember to hold the button down (after) you jump with your board, and make sure u stay aligned kinda close to the "bottom" of the Tubes and not in the middle! ... practice at the begining of the game with those Tubes.

Skate to the bottom right... and try to hit the Tubes down there, they're 2 Tubes in a row.. so if you make the first, don't come back up and just keep the button down and skate through both!

Hope that helps.

19 obstacles missed

Skate to the bottom right... and try to hit the Tubes down there, they're 2 Tubes in a row.. so if you make the first, don't come back up and just keep the button down and skate through both!

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a few more goes.

So i should jump before i try to enter a tube?

19 obstacles missed

Hope that helps.

If you're going full speed, you have jump in the screen before the tube. There's not enough space to do it in the same screen the tube is in.

Edited by Scrabbler15

19 obstacles missed

Hope that helps.

Ahh.. so that's how the Highretrogamelord89 was able to do that on the clip i seen on YouTube.

I'll have to try that out, thanks. :)

Everything and 40 seconds left.

1. Make a map.

2. Make a map.

3. See tip 1.

That's ok but having to look at a map seems time consuming in itself, my best advice is play the game and memorize where everything is and what paths you take to skate around, and keep going on with your memorized pattern.

It's not as difficult as it sounds, but eventually you will get a pattern in your mind, of where all the obsticals are and by skating around them over and over, will become clear where you need to go.

Another tip, is practice hitting the targets at the top right section of the game, because that is the trickiest part and harder to remember.

19 obstacles missed

Hope that helps.

You're welcome. Yes, first go to the screen "next" to the one with the "Tube"... then start a skate going and jump... after you jump, HOLD the button or key down! If you do this right ,you will reach the next screen, in a tuck position... align yourself to the "middle bottom" of the Tube itself (will take some practice) and you will then complete it!

It also might be a good idea to hit the grass a little, so tucking and entering the Tube will be easier to time... :cool:

Everything and 40 seconds left.

1. Make a map.

2. Make a map.

3. See tip 1.

That's ok but having to look at a map seems time consuming in itself, my best advice is play the game and memorize where everything is and what paths you take to skate around, and keep going on with your memorized pattern.

You're right, Zu7, memorizing is key. I just used the map to find out what it was I kept missing.

I like your tips, too.

You're right, Zu7, memorizing is key. I just used the map to find out what it was I kept missing.

I like your tips, too.

Thanks scrabbler,

Maps of course are useful if you have patience to do so. I would think it's hard to map, as each screen has a lot on it, and also different sizes and sections... but then again a simplifed map, only indicating where the raps and tubes are might be a good idea, if you cannot memorize the terrain.

-

Here's my best so far, without a map!

Completed run, 1:36

(1 min 36 sec left)

I think I only got knocked off the board 5-7 times total.

post-3059-128227873144_thumb.jpg

Edited by JacobZu7zu7