IGNORED

Seriously, DON'T go to atari7800.com

4Ks

Am I seriously the only one who doesn't watch Lost?

I avoided it for years, then finally checked it out on NetFlix. I thought it was a pretty good show that was full of sci-fi mysteries, but I hated most of the boring flashbacks that just seemed like filler. I bought the lie that there was a reason for everything and that everything would be explained because Lost wasn't like other TV shows. We eventually found out that it wasn't a cool sci-fi mystery show, it was just a soap opera with mysteries thrown in to keep the suckers watching. They never intended to explain it all because Lost was just like other crappy TV shows after all. Everything wasn't thought out from beginning to end like a super-advanced version of Babylon 5. If you ever watch it on DVD, do it knowing that it's a soap opera above all else. All of the cool stuff is secondary and the writers seem to not-so-secretly hate anyone who likes the cool stuff. If you're not a woman or a poetry reading, opera watching, drama loving, touchy-feely crybaby metrosexual, the show was not made for you. Watch it at your own risk.

Edited by Random Terrain
  • Like 4

Glad to see this thread narrowly avoided a clearly impending flame war. :roll:

A few easily-fixable design flaws aside, I kind of enjoy the site. It's not something I view regularly, but I do enjoy the occasional, short excursion to it. Anyways, the site is host to a type of humor that many people do not (and will not) like, but that's the point of it. Anyone wasting their time complaining about this aspect, keep in mind that there are far, far more important things in the world actually worth complaining about.

On a side note, stealing content and hotlinking is not cool. I hope Al and whoever runs atari7800.com can get that sorted out without much trouble.

I avoided it for years, then finally checked it out on NetFlix. I thought it was a pretty good show that was full of sci-fi mysteries, but I hated most of the boring flashbacks that just seemed like filler. I bought the lie that there was a reason for everything and that everything would be explained because Lost wasn't like other TV shows. We eventually found out that it wasn't a cool sci-fi mystery show, it was just a soap opera with mysteries thrown in to keep the suckers watching. They never intended to explain it all because Lost was just like other crappy TV shows after all. Everything wasn't thought out from beginning to end like a super-advanced version of Babylon 5. If you ever watch it on DVD, do it knowing that it's a soap opera above all else. All of the cool stuff is secondary and the writers seem to not-so-secretly hate anyone who likes the cool stuff. If you're not a woman or a poetry reading, opera watching, drama loving, touchy-feely crybaby metrosexual, the show was not made for you. Watch it at your own risk.

Well said and +1. Only, I started watching from its inception. After about the 2nd season and into the 3rd, I grew weary of its mediocrity and totally lost interest. Petty flashbacks utterly ruined it for me too. Had they taken the story more in the direction it was originally going (sci-fi/mystery), it would have been fine. But nope. Suckers and chumps caveat emptor!

Edited by save2600

Never seen it either, looks boring.

I've never seen it either. I don't watch TV, but the few times I've checked in to see what the TV world is doing (once a year, usually), I always come away unimpressed. I can always tell where the stories are going before they get there, I don't like the acting or the direction, and the dialog is hokey. I much prefer books or old movies, with the occasional exception of a few offbeat TV shows like Max Headroom.

I forget who first said it, but the problem with the entertainment industry today is that the people making movies and television don't have anything interesting to say.

• Like 2

Well, I watched it all from the beginning; I tend to stick with things and with this I was waiting for the payoff. I really thought that all signs pointed to the story being on track to an interesting conclusion right up to the final episode where they dropped a big turd on me. One of the things that kept me in it was a few specific characters; Michael Emerson as Ben Linus was really great and a villain with some creepy depth. Josh Holloway as Sawyer, I loved too and I am waiting to see both of them show up in something that wont end up crapping on me. Morgan

Guys, you should move the Lost discussion into another thread. :ponder:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/forum/33-entertainment-sports/

..Al

Oops, you are correct, sorry. At least the thread degenerated into a more benign direction than the original subject matter. :ponder:

The original subject matter dead-ended when we realized that Mili no longer supported atari7800.com and that the website had imploded apon itself from the crushing weight of its own uselessness.

Edited by 4Ks
  • Like 4

The hot linking to AA content isn't cool...

I looked last night and it appears they have moved the ROM images to another site. However, they are still using cartridge scans from AtariAge. There is a shout out to AtariAge on their About page.

but why all the fuss over an F-bomb? Tasteless? Sure, but its not a big freakin deal IMHO.

It doesn't offend me at all, but I do think it's a bad first impression to make when visiting a site of this nature. What would you think if you saw that on the front page of AtariAge?

..Al

but why all the fuss over an F-bomb? Tasteless? Sure, but its not a big freakin deal IMHO.

It doesn't offend me at all, but I do think it's a bad first impression to make when visiting a site of this nature. What would you think if you saw that on the front page of AtariAge?

..Al

I wouldnt take the site seriously

..Al

I agree 100%. It's totally tasteless. However, some folks tend to overreact to f-bombs and the like. For example, some people will skip out on a great movie simply because the word is in the dialog.

Edited by Lord Helmet

I'm not sure if it was meant to be taken seriously. It's a fan page.

Thats kind of what I thought too.

Here's the problem with that explanation: the website is called "www.atari7800.com", which could mislead someone into thinking that it's an officially sanctioned site. But even if it is a fan site, it's just needlessly crass and vulgar and gives the 7800 a bad reputation, especially among people who are learning about it for the first time. Those are the people that you really don't want to chase away from classic gaming: the hobby will die with us if we don't attract new people to it, and websites like this don't help.

Atari Inc. probably wouldn't be too happy about it, either, if they were made aware of it. If you owned the Atari name, and if "Atari 7800" was one of your trademarks, you probably wouldn't want it associated with an in-your-face "F*** YOU" website, either.

• Like 3

But even if it is a fan site, it's just needlessly crass and vulgar and gives the 7800 a bad reputation, especially among people who are learning about it for the first time. Those are the people that you really don't want to chase away from classic gaming: the hobby will die with us if we don't attract new people to it, and websites like this don't help.

And that echoes what I (in post #36) and others have said.

But, since you got a rep point and I didn't, the rep point must have been for the comments in the last paragraph :) :

Atari Inc. probably wouldn't be too happy about it, either, if they were made aware of it. If you owned the Atari name, and if "Atari 7800" was one of your trademarks, you probably wouldn't want it associated with an in-your-face "F*** YOU" website, either.

• Like 3