IGNORED

what was your favourite computer shop's or store's

Like it says on the tin, what was your favourite computer shops/stores where they let you play or try out the systems (or games)

My selection would go like this....when i was in stevenage, the shop, just off the old town high street (can't remember the name), used to have a go on their A800 and vic20, also another shop (again can't remember the name) but in the new town centre (corner of queensway, just up from where the cinema was, when i was there) I think it doubled up as a model shop and toy shop as well...again, only for the A800, and lastly ...didn't rate rumbelows that much (a few doors away), but they did give me my first taste of TI computer goodness (can't remember what model)

When i moved back to London (central)....Dillons, on the corner of Gower Street and Malet Street (the so called 'university bookshop', due to the UCL buildings being almost opposite the malet street enntrance), mainly c64 and spectrum and small selection of A8, Sillica Shop (tottenham court road) for A8 and ST goodness, What used to be 'Spectrum' at Tottenham court road (now a electronics and camera shop) for spectrum and all forms of commodore (including the lesser known models) and also Pilot software for A8, ST and most popular computer platforms (including the MSX strangely enough, which they were fairly big on), there were one or 2 other computer shops in TCR that were pretty good, including Lasky's (bought a couple of el cheapo spectrums and 130xe's from there), Shekana (mostly dealt with import japanese and asian systems)

Oxford Street and regent street...Games centre (I think that eventually became virgin games centre, it was the one that had a green sign with black writing outside) for a800, vic 20 and c64 and also spectrum), Palace Software (both oxford and regent street branches)..mainly spectrum and commodore, Claude Gill (whicgh eventually became the evil waterstone's) for BBC, c64 and spectrum amongst others, selfridges (first floor), western end of oxford street for sillica shop again (their first in store concession in london), for A8 and ST only and the piece du resistance, you could'nt get better then HAMLEYS...An entire floor (well, almost, if you exclude the tiny cafe/restuarant) held over for all forms of electronic entertainment as well and video/computer games...my main interest then was A8, speccy and c64/vic20

Edited by carmel_andrews