IGNORED

why ZX has and atari hasnt?

Poison

yes I saw, but its only demo, thats all, when it was playable (one of first versions), it wasnt 3D, only badly calculated walls:) But really very nice! I think this will be great game such as finished Vector was:) :) :)

I don't see anything good in it. It looks like it's a subset of the screen using spatial dithering in monochrome which means it has to render less pixels (since it draws a dither pattern for every pixel) and it looks like crap.

Iam surprised, that ZX can calculate wolf 3D in this speed. Its nice and fast engine. Is hard to do this for atari 8?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzm9KkJ5lGI&feature=related

some coders are much better than David Copperfield:)

Well, nothing surprising with our 3,5Mhz power of CPU. Still You have to remember that Spectrum has mostly only 1-bit graphic. It should be possible to port it into XL. However Atari 130XE would be required, I presume.

It's rather a matter of lazy coders, not the platform itself. ;)

Iam surprised, that ZX can calculate wolf 3D in this speed. Its nice and fast engine. Is hard to do this for atari 8?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzm9KkJ5lGI&feature=related

some coders are much better than David Copperfield:)

Description of the video says "Wolf3d on Pentagon 256 high detail gameplay, multicolor loading pictures" so not ZX Spectrum.

Edited by MaPa

That demo is running on a system with roughly TWICE the clock rate of the Atari's 6502.

So are you dumb, or just trolling?

Yes.. but it has rougly TWICE more clocks per instruction than ATARI.

Yes.. but it has rougly TWICE more clocks per instruction than ATARI.

Yep. The Z80 needs 4+ clock cycles to do anything with some instructions needing 15 or more. That's one of the big benefits of the 6502; it performs well in systems with slower clocks which originally reduced the cost of systems built around it. Of course there are things you can do in fewer instructions on the Z80, but many of the 6502's limitations can be overcome by clever programming tricks. Overall, a 1 MHz 6502 is roughly equivalent to a 2MHz Z80.

Did anyone notice a similar demo on yootoob by syzygy (again running on an a8)

WTF is yootoob? Not another video host, surely... :)

He was the first one eliminated in the spelling bee.

So how many cycles is LDA and STA on Z80 which are the most common instructions? Just immediate, zero page, and absolute.

So how many cycles is LDA and STA on Z80 which are the most common instructions? Just immediate, zero page, and absolute.

Load immediate:

LD A,n

7 cycles

Load from absolute address:

LD A,(adr)

13 cycles

Store to absolute address:

LD (adr),A

13 cycles

Where did you get 4 cycles? I see 7 cycles in LD r,(HL), LD A,(BC) etc.

Yeah, from what I remember of the Z80, an opcode fetch consumes at least 4 clock cycles (T-cycles). So if there are any additional reads or writes, the instruction will take 7 or more cycles.

EDIT: Reads and writes are considerably faster through address registers, so the speed depends on whether you're doing an absolute write or you're set up to work on a table of data. That first 4 cycle M-state also contains a DRAM refresh cycle which is a nice cost-saving feature of the Z80.

Edited by Bryan