IGNORED

Installing Batari Basic for Mac OSX

gHan2000

bB is a command-line program. It is set up and run from the terminal application in OS X.

Download the PC version, then the Mac binaries to the desktop, linked below (ctrl-click, save as, and make sure they are saved to the desktop):

http://bataribasic.com/batari_Basic_version_1.0.zip

http://bataribasic.com/bB_OSX_binaries_version_1.0.zip

Run the terminal app, then the following will install it:

cd ~

mkdir Atari2600

cd Atari2600

mkdir bB

cd bB

unzip ~/desktop/batari_Basic_version_1.0.zip

unzip ~/desktop/bB_OSX_binaries_version_1.0.zip

Close the terminal app, and reopen (this is also how you run it from now on):

Type the following two lines to set up the environment. This only needs to be done once per terminal session:

export bB=~/Atari2600/bB

export PATH=$PATH:$bB

(If you add the above two lines to /etc/bashrc, this doesn't need to be done every terminal session. Only change /etc/bashrc if you know what you are doing and are comfortable editing your system files.)

Now test your setup:

cd ~/Atari2600/bB/samples

2600basic.sh sample.bas

Now try sample.bas.bin in an emulator (located in your home folder, under Atari2600/bB/samples.)

• 1 month later...

bB is a command-line program. It is set up and run from the terminal application in OS X.

Download the PC version, then the Mac binaries to the desktop, linked below (ctrl-click, save as, and make sure they are saved to the desktop):

cd ~

mkdir Atari2600

cd Atari2600

mkdir bB

cd bB

Type the following two lines to set up the environment. This only needs to be done once per terminal session:

export bB=~/Atari2600/bB

(If you add the above two lines to /etc/bashrc, this doesn't need to be done every terminal session. Only change /etc/bashrc if you know what you are doing and are comfortable editing your system files.)

Now test your setup:

2600basic.sh sample.bas

Now try sample.bas.bin in an emulator (located in your home folder, under Atari2600/bB/samples.)

Thanks, I will try that.

I have downloaded the Mac OSX version of bB, but I need help installing. I know there are instructions on the website, but those are CONFUSING. Can someone show give a better example of how to install it?

If anyone has an installed Mac OS X version of bB, please put it on MegaUpload or MediaFire or something.

• 7 months later...

So I'm all excited to try out the new bB 1.1 beta, but I can't seem to get things to work on my Mac. I've made the bB 1.1 beta folder at the root (~) directory and copied in the Mac OS binaries but it doesn't seem to recognize the new DPC+ kernel. Here's what I'm doing at the Terminal level - am I missing something simple?

Last login: Tue May 10 16:46:28 on ttys000

imac-2:~ Todd$ export bB=~/bB/

imac-2:~ Todd$ export PATH=$PATH:$bB

imac-2:~ Todd$ cd bB

imac-2:bB Todd$ ls

2600bas.bat makefile

2600bas.c msdpc.bas

2600basic msdpc.bas.asm

2600basic.exe msdpc.bas.bin

2600basic.sh optimize

2600basic_variable_redefs.h optimize.exe

README.txt optimize.lex

bB.asm postprocess

dasm postprocess.c

dasm.exe postprocess.exe

includes preprocess

includes.bB preprocess.exe

keywords.c preprocess.lex

keywords.h statements.c

license.txt statements.h

mac-readme.txt

imac-2:bB Todd$ 2600basic.sh msdpc.bas

Starting build of msdpc.bas

(2) Parse error: unrecognized character ";"

(1): set kernel: kernel name unknown or unspecified

2600 Basic compilation complete.

DASM V2.20.07, Macro Assembler ©1988-2003

bytes of ROM space left

2878 bytes of ROM space left

Complete.

Build complete.

imac-2:bB Todd$

• 2 years later...

cd ~

mkdir Atari2600

cd Atari2600

mkdir bB

cd bB

export bB=~/Atari2600/bB

Now test your setup:

2600basic.sh sample.bas

I've been trying this over and over again, and I still haven't gotten this to work on my Mac. Is there a step missing? I'm sure I'm entering it into my terminal correctly, as I'm simply copy and pasting each step as I get to it.

This it what it says in my terminal after I follow the last stop of testing my setup:

Starting build of sample.bas
/Users/bc/Atari2600/bB/2600basic.sh: line 3: /Users/bc/Atari2600/bB/preprocess: Bad CPU type in executable
/Users/bc/Atari2600/bB/2600basic.sh: line 3: /Users/bc/Atari2600/bB/2600basic: Bad CPU type in executable
Compilation failed.
Any ideas? It's a little embarrassing that I want to get back into casual programming, but can't even run the program :?
If it's worth anything, I'm running OSX 10.8.4

The bB binaries from batari are PPC based, which is why you're getting the error you are. The instructions used to work, but OS X moved on.

I'm not an OS X guy, but I believe the following should work...

1. Download this version as it has bug fixes and updates, both from batari and myself. Unzip it somewhere convenient, ensuring directory structure is preserved.

2. Install XCode Tools from the OS X Install DVD, if it already isn't installed.

3. Open a console window and "cd" to where you unzipped bB in step 1.

4. Type...

make
echo export bB=$(pwd) >> ~/.profile
echo 'export PATH=$PATH:$bB' >> ~/.profile

5. Open another console window to test things out, or source your profile again in the same console window with ". ~/.profile"

You probably will need to track down dasm and build and install that as well, since bB doesn't distribute the source for it.

The bB binaries from batari are PPC based, which is why you're getting the error you are. The instructions used to work, but OS X moved on.

I'm not an OS X guy, but I believe the following should work...

1. Download this version as it has bug fixes and updates, both from batari and myself. Unzip it somewhere convenient, ensuring directory structure is preserved.

2. Install XCode Tools from the OS X Install DVD, if it already isn't installed.

3. Open a console window and "cd" to where you unzipped bB in step 1.

4. Type...

make
echo export bB=$(pwd) >> ~/.profile
echo 'export PATH=$PATH:$bB' >> ~/.profile

5. Open another console window to test things out, or source your profile again in the same console window with ". ~/.profile"

You probably will need to track down dasm and build and install that as well, since bB doesn't distribute the source for it.

Cheers for that, I'll be giving that a shot when I get home from work.

UPDATE: I followed these step by step (with the exception of Xcode Tools and I already have it), and yet I am still not up and running. As I do step 5, nothing happens after that in my terminal. There's no error, or positive sign. I just proceed to the next line in my terminal.

Help? :?

Edited by DemonoidTentacle

UPDATE: I followed these step by step (with the exception of Xcode Tools and I already have it), and yet I am still not up and running. As I do step 5, nothing happens after that in my terminal. There's no error, or positive sign. I just proceed to the next line in my terminal.

If you are running Snow Leopard or older, you can install Rosetta (see here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ph6531

Of if running Lion or newer, build at the command like with Xcode, but no need to go through the GUI. Just go to the source directory (where Makefile is located) and type make.

I just installed RevEng's bB.1.1d on my Macbook without any problems. Download RevEng's version as above and I renamed the folder bB and put in my root folder. Copy the OS X binaries (listed earlier in this thread) over the existing files in that folder. Then in Terminal, cd to bB and do the "make" command.

In order to get the compiler to work properly, type this in now and whenever you start up Terminal:

export bB=$HOME/bB

Move zombie_chase.bas out of the samples folder to the bB folder (I've never been able to get it to compile in another folder) and test it out:

2600basic.sh zombie_chase.bas

Hope that helps - good luck!

Ok everyone, a big thankyou for all the help I am getting on this, I'm getting further :)

But now I'm getting this:

Starting build of zombie_chase.bas
batari Basic v1.01dreveng17 ©2005-2013
2600 Basic compilation complete.
/Users/bc/bB/2600basic.sh: line 15: /Users/bc/bB/dasm: Bad CPU type in executable
Build complete.
I'm assuming that dasm is for PPC as opposed to Intel processor (which is what I've got) I'm researching a workaround now.
Good news... IT'S WORKING!!! :-D
Thanks again everyone for your help with this. Now I have a late night ahead of me full of tinkering madness.
Edited by DemonoidTentacle

[...]

export bB=$HOME/bB

[...]

(I've never been able to get it to compile in another folder)

[...]

Try reordering your export lines, and compiling in other folders should work. Your first line PATH update isn't working right because $bB isn't defined yet.

Better yet, edit the .profile in your home directory and throw these lines at the end. Every new console you open will have these variables set automatically.

Try reordering your export lines, and compiling in other folders should work. Your first line PATH update isn't working right because $bB isn't defined yet.

Better yet, edit the .profile in your home directory and throw these lines at the end. Every new console you open will have these variables set automatically.

Thanks - I wish you would've told me this about 5 years ago! I know so little about Unix...

• 4 years later...