IGNORED

BASIC programming from magazines

SlowCoder

As a kid, I was introduced to computer programming with the ADAM. I can't remember the name of the magazine, but my dad got a monthly subscription to one that had a bunch of BASIC programs listed out that you could type into the computer. They ranged from simple little graphic programs that drew out a smiley to phonebook management programs.

I looked at a couple of issues of Compute! magazine, but I don't see any programs there.

Anyway, wondering if maybe someone can point out the name of the magazine?

It was most likely "Family Computing." I'm working on typing a lot of those programs in right now on disk images for the ADAM emulator but I don't know how much longer it will take.

As a kid, I was introduced to computer programming with the ADAM. I can't remember the name of the magazine, but my dad got a monthly subscription to one that had a bunch of BASIC programs listed out that you could type into the computer. They ranged from simple little graphic programs that drew out a smiley to phonebook management programs.

I looked at a couple of issues of Compute! magazine, but I don't see any programs there.

If you want to save yourself some time, the largest majority (if not all) of SmartBASIC program listings from the mentioned magazines are available on the N.I.A.D. SmartBASIC BNDV Pulic Domain Volumes that are contained in the Coleco & ADAM Collection (there are 42 and more will be added soon). The collection is for use with emulators but the disk and data pack images can be converted back to actual ADAM disks/ddp if you prefer to run them on an actual ADAM Computer.

I recently went through all the basic volumes and made them self-booting, added a nice menu program/loader, and converted all the programs to binary "H" type format (faster loading over the standard "A" type format). You can also escape out of the program via "CONTROL-C", "ESCAPE/WP" or program exit option and list the program out.

Not to take away from the fun of typing in a program yourself... but that can become bery time consuming especially if you make typos that cause the program not to execute properly. So follow the link below to download the collection and enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/adamcollection

Jim

Jim...are you sure the NIAD volumes contain the Family Computing programs? I went through a bunch of them trying to match them up to the hard copies of the program listings I printed out and I couldn't find very many of them. As I said in another message, I was trying to type these in, but it would save a lot of time if they all are already there. If they are there, I suspect they aren't necessarily named something I would recognize by looking at the FC listings (i.e. - Renegade Robot might be called "robot" whereas I'd be looking for "renegade")

Maybe I should take another look and loosen up my search criteria.

If you want to save yourself some time, the largest majority (if not all) of SmartBASIC program listings from the mentioned magazines are available on the N.I.A.D. SmartBASIC BNDV Pulic Domain Volumes that are contained in the Coleco & ADAM Collection (there are 42 and more will be added soon). The collection is for use with emulators but the disk and data pack images can be converted back to actual ADAM disks/ddp if you prefer to run them on an actual ADAM Computer.

I recently went through all the basic volumes and made them self-booting, added a nice menu program/loader, and converted all the programs to binary "H" type format (faster loading over the standard "A" type format). You can also escape out of the program via "CONTROL-C", "ESCAPE/WP" or program exit option and list the program out.

Not to take away from the fun of typing in a program yourself... but that can become bery time consuming especially if you make typos that cause the program not to execute properly. So follow the link below to download the collection and enjoy!

Jim

Jim...are you sure the NIAD volumes contain the Family Computing programs? I went through a bunch of them trying to match them up to the hard copies of the program listings I printed out and I couldn't find very many of them. As I said in another message, I was trying to type these in, but it would save a lot of time if they all are already there. If they are there, I suspect they aren't necessarily named something I would recognize by looking at the FC listings (i.e. - Renegade Robot might be called "robot" whereas I'd be looking for "renegade")

Maybe I should take another look and loosen up my search criteria.

Jim

Yes, Joe, a lot of them are on the volumes. Unfortunately, as you have assumed, they are not always named the same as the magazine might have suggested. For instance, Renegade Robot is named "RenRobot" and there is a second version named "RenRobot2". I always tried to squeeze in the whole name of the program when I name things. Two other program that come to mind are "Liberty" for Liberty Bell and "Mask".

When Lyle started assembling P.D. volumes, a lot of people would type in these listings from FC and other magazines and submit them on DDP or Disk in exchange for a full P.D. volume. Eventually, he had to exclude any of these programs from magazines being eligible for the P.D. exchange as he would end up getting 100's of the same program... tried to force people's hand to learn how to program!

Check out the N.I.A.D. SmartBASIC BNDV & UNDV Volume Listing.rtf file that is included in the Collection for a complete list of each volume and also an alphabetical listing of every SB program with what volume the program is contained on. I made this listing with Guy Cousineau's File Indexer program and it's a real time saver when you are looking for something. Also, most of the magazine listing will be on the earlier volumes.

Jim

Edited by NIAD