IGNORED

Free sprites for the taking

PAC-MAN-RED

I was thinking "what would be the biggest mega-man challenge?"

So for fun I made a mockup of the yellow Devil. It's Made from background pixels, but the eye and the flying yellow chunks are sprites.

Ok thats just in-genius!!! Nice job by the way!!!

-Disjaukifa

May I put in a request for a doctor sprite . . .

Doctor who?

I'm the Doctor . . . call me the Doctor! I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and fez.

. . .

I just couldn't resist . . . I tried . . . really!

I had a brief jolt of inspiration and did a quick doodle I wanted to share to you guys. I hope it brings other inspiration like it did me. I just wanted to see if it could fit in an 8 pixel wide player.

Excellent!

Amazing what can be drawn and still be recognizable in an 8 pixel wide format. For the most part, what I've found when turning our favorite other console system characters into 2600 sprites is:

1) The Color should match as much as possible.

2) The facial features should be as close to the original as possible.

3) The body should be as proportional to the original as possible.

Illya

This after-school special brought to you by AtariAge. AtariAge... where dreams can come true.

Yes, I think your #1 point is really most critical... the brain is quite willing to fill in the rest of the details when you make the right color hints.

Here's the extreme example - Can you guess what show these single pixel-wide characters are from?

post-23476-0-76147500-1315761003_thumb.png

(For more, check out Something Awful's Abstract Pixel Art article.)

Yes, I think your #1 point is really most critical... the brain is quite willing to fill in the rest of the details when you make the right color hints.

Here's the extreme example - Can you guess what show these single pixel-wide characters are from?

post-23476-0-76147500-1315761003_thumb.png

(For more, check out Something Awful's Abstract Pixel Art article.)

It's that "future" show with the guy and his drinking robot, and the one-eyed girl whose voice is done by Katey Sagal (played as Peggy - Al's wife from Married with Children), etc, etc. :D

Good brain... release endorphins now... :love: :love: :love:

Illya

That's really excellent (unfortunately, I saw the file name so I couldn't guess at it) - it's surprising how recognizable they are. The downside is that the 2600 has a pretty limited color palette, so it'd be harder to make something like that work.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pac-Man Red,

I need two sprites made if you can for my Quacker Blaster game. One is a duck sprite and one is a dog sprite. I plan on using multicolor rows on each sprite so you may want to consider that when designing the sprite. I need the sprites in assembly language byte code. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Primordial Ooze

Edited by Primordial Ooze

• 1 month later...