IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 3 Round 14 Moon Patrol

roadrunner

Slight improvement: 5400

I've played the Apple II, Vic-20, C64, TI99, and 2600 versions. I'll try out the A8 one tomorrow morning since I've never really played it. Only got it a few months ago.

The atari 800 version does use the Up for jumping over craters. I don't know about the C64/Apple-- I guess they must too since they use the standard Atari 2600 type joystick.

Played the A8 version this morning. It's just like the others. While I'm still terrible at it, I can get to J and beyond on those. This must be a case of Atari insisting on using more of the 5200's features needlessly. Gave the 5200 version another couple plays with some further improvement. 9400

post-25215-12855365557_thumb.jpg

Played the A8 version this morning. It's just like the others. While I'm still terrible at it, I can get to J and beyond on those. This must be a case of Atari insisting on using more of the 5200's features needlessly. Gave the 5200 version another couple plays with some further improvement. 9400

The emulator does let you remap the keys to whatever but the one I'm using doesn't let you remap the 2nd button to up.

I used to play this one in the Arcade a while back... :ponder:

I kinda like the two-button controls in the A5200 version..and I'm just getting comfortable :cool: :

post-21471-128572586239_thumb.jpg

I never played this in arcade nor seen it. Did it have two buttons on the arcade machine or did they use UP for jumping?

I used to play this one in the Arcade a while back... :ponder:

I kinda like the two-button controls in the A5200 version..and I'm just getting comfortable :cool: :

post-21471-128572586239_thumb.jpg

I never played this in arcade nor seen it. Did it have two buttons on the arcade machine or did they use UP for jumping?

Yes! The 5200 controls are the same as the old Arcade machine, with two side-by-side buttons for jump & fire. The speed-up/slow-down was with left--right joystick movement, just like on the A52 stock stick. It looks like Atari was trying to be arcade accurate with Supersystem titles(esp. those feat. 2-button/stick ), and yeah..maybe show off the console's abilities a little ;)

Memory served me that yes, there was a jump and fire button.

So I looked it up to make sure, and sure enough...

post-4709-128573439094_thumb.jpg

Courtesy of...

http://gamesdbase.com/gamedetail-arcade.moon_patrol.1982.irem.shooter.irem.aspx

Anyway, probably had a one button arrangement on the Atari8 since the joystick only had one button.

Memory served me that yes, there was a jump and fire button.

So I looked it up to make sure, and sure enough...

post-4709-128573439094_thumb.jpg

Courtesy of...

http://gamesdbase.com/gamedetail-arcade.moon_patrol.1982.irem.shooter.irem.aspx

Anyway, probably had a one button arrangement on the Atari8 since the joystick only had one button.

Hey doctorclu, that pic brings back memories :) . I think the jump buttons were blue though on the machine I used to play on. I noticed you're pretty good at this game!...now if I can just get through the gauntlet A-Z like I used to about twice..... :D

[

Hey doctorclu, that pic brings back memories :) . I think the jump buttons were blue though on the machine I used to play on. I noticed you're pretty good at this game!...now if I can just get through the gauntlet A-Z like I used to about twice..... :D

Looks like need to try to do the same. :)

As for the arcade, played that at a 7-11 or something like that. Arcade Moon Patrol kicked my butt big time.

Still can't get past the tank as usual but I'm now up to the same exact spot I get stuck in all of these. I remember going A-Z plus on the Apple II in the late 80's but no idea how I did it.

post-25215-128596847362_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon

Still can't get past the tank as usual but I'm now up to the same exact spot I get stuck in all of these. I remember going A-Z plus on the Apple II in the late 80's but no idea how I did it.

Hey Zylon,

The tanks will throw you off guard if your not expecting them(I usu. lose a buggy or two). It seems to be easier to jump over them if you time it just right, just watch out for those boulders. The other way is to pull back and shoot(it takes 2 shots to kill), then jump the crater(repeat 3-4 times). The best strategy seems to be a mixture of these two, depending on the placement of obstacles. Once you get the rhythm down, you just have to remember when to be ready. The continue function is a great way to practice your strategy and explore the game. The next round is quite a bit trickier, with more obstacles and enemies. I'm just now getting the hang of it again, after 20+ years ;)

I never remember how hard this game is, and even though I *DO* see steady improvement with practice, every time I die always feels like a cheap-shot in this game, and it always did. I don't know why that is, but I'm pretty sure I'd ahve liked the game more if it didn't feel that way. If it matters, I only ever played this game in the arcades and on the 5200.

I never remember how hard this game is, and even though I *DO* see steady improvement with practice, every time I die always feels like a cheap-shot in this game, and it always did. I don't know why that is, but I'm pretty sure I'd ahve liked the game more if it didn't feel that way. If it matters, I only ever played this game in the arcades and on the 5200.

Dieing in the ditch (crater) is sort of cheap in some cases since it kills you even if you land at the end of it (collision seems a bit late).

I hit 20K.

post-16716-128599450611_thumb.jpg