Photo

The Titlescreen Kernel

260 replies to this topic

#251 kdgarris OFFLINE  

kdgarris

Moonsweeper

• 326 posts

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:23 AM

Perhaps I do.  I have seen it on two different systems, but both are Atari Jrs.  If I recall correctly, it was certain Jrs that has problems with bus-stuffing demos, so perhaps Maggie and I are both "blessed" with these "special" TIAs.

#252 RevEng OFFLINE  

RevEng

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,809 posts
  • Bitnik

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:45 PM

Yeah, usually it's the 7800's and certain Jr's that have the odd TIAs.

Here's one that waits an extra cycle prior to changing the graphics for the second copy of the player 0 sprite. I have my console packed away at the moment, so it's not tested beyond Stella. Buyer beware.

[edit - removed. Used kdgarris' working score_kernel.asm fix in the main titlescreen kernel, in the first post]

#253 kdgarris OFFLINE  

kdgarris

Moonsweeper

• 326 posts

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:37 AM

Thanks.  Unfortunately, I still see the same behavior with this version.

31265663_10215830017013197_4434077601635500032_n.jpg

#254 Lillapojkenpćön OFFLINE  

Lillapojkenpćön

Star Raider

• 73 posts

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:52 PM

My titlescreen gets a VERY similar character on the hundred thousand digit but I'm using a different font to, I thought it was because I didn't use DEC but might be this bug, it's not in the game only when returning to titlescreen after a game, I have a PAL light sixer.

#255 kdgarris OFFLINE  

kdgarris

Moonsweeper

• 326 posts

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:25 AM

Does the original binary I posted of the demo show the problem on your system as well? It should probably still work otherwise on your system, just with different colors.

#256 Lillapojkenpćön OFFLINE  

Lillapojkenpćön

Star Raider

• 73 posts

Posted Fri May 4, 2018 8:44 AM

It didn't look exactly the same but the zero was messed up in a similar way (on the right side) on my PAL light sixer to.

#257 RevEng OFFLINE  

RevEng

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,809 posts
  • Bitnik

Posted Fri May 4, 2018 4:27 PM

kdgarris provided a fixed score_kernel.asm that has timing that works on his console. I've updated the first post with titlescreen kernel 1.7, which incorporates that fix.

#258 graywest OFFLINE  

graywest

Moonsweeper

• 311 posts

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:46 AM

Hello all. I'm having a similar problem with the score module of the titlescreen kernel, except that my issue is showing up in Stella. I haven't tried this on real hardware yet.

After playing a game, the thousands digit is duplicated into the hundred thousands digit. Also, the ten thousands digit has some corruption on the right side. See the screenshot. The correct score at the end of this game was 002875.

I'm attaching my bB directory and project files. I'm using Crimson Editor, bB version 1.0, and Titlescreen Kernel 1.7. This is my first time using the Titlescreen Kernel, so it's totally possible that this is not a bug and that I've just overlooked something.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

QuantumTunnel.png

Attached Files

• Attached File  bB.zip   1.3MB   2 downloads

Edited by graywest, Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:47 AM.

#259 RevEng OFFLINE  

RevEng

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,809 posts
  • Bitnik

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:35 PM

Thanks for the report. It looks like that last fix for the titlescreen kernel had unintended consequences.

I've reverted back to the 1.6 version in the first post, and I'd recommend all of you guys do the same. If you're willing to go without score fade, kdgarris' alternate score_kernel.asm (earlier in this thread) should work on both regular and odd-timing consoles.

I may revisit this at some point, to have both score fade and a score kernel that works on odd-timing consoles, but being short on hobby time and being unable to reproduce the odd-timing console results makes it difficult right now.

#260 graywest OFFLINE  

graywest

Moonsweeper

• 311 posts

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:25 PM

Thanks for the report. It looks like that last fix for the titlescreen kernel had unintended consequences.

I've reverted back to the 1.6 version in the first post, and I'd recommend all of you guys do the same. If you're willing to go without score fade, kdgarris' alternate score_kernel.asm (earlier in this thread) should work on both regular and odd-timing consoles.

I may revisit this at some point, to have both score fade and a score kernel that works on odd-timing consoles, but being short on hobby time and being unable to reproduce the odd-timing console results makes it difficult right now.

Thanks RevEng - I recompiled with 1.6 and that fixed my issue.

#261 kdgarris OFFLINE  

kdgarris

Moonsweeper

• 326 posts

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:19 AM

My apologies for the bug.  Has anyone tried my test binary that demonstrates the previous issue on real hardware, and NOT seen the same issue I did?  I've seen it on two systems, but they were both Jrs.

2 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users