IGNORED

Druid 2 title screen

Heaven/TQA

There's a lot of very good artwork on the c64 scene that I think are worth converting too just for the sake of the art and at the same time I think it's also good patching them if the games exist in the A8 back catalogue. Others may have different opinions on the subject ranging from why bother to I'd rather people spend their time creating original art on the A8 instead. I'm moreso for original A8 artwork taking advantage of our features with the larger palette and use of gtia modes etc. The interest in converting pictures calmed down after those early few years of g2f when a whole bunch of pics were converted. Working with g2f is a far cry from the laborious process of recreating pics natively with GED which I used to do many years ago. It's enjoyable working out the technicalities of recreating art from another platform.

btw. here is the druid II pic attached in 13 indexed colours in case someone would like to work on it.

EDIT* ..it's already in progress by the time I've written this :)

post-4724-128567897976_thumb.png

Edited by Tezz

I'd say yes. Probably use PMGs in OR (PRIOR=00) mode.

Probably fiddly in places, you'd need all manner of positional, size changes etc.

Also probable that some black areas would be saturated with the player colours.

Get Jose onto it.

Hi.

Thanks, but no... I'm not very good at Tittle Screens.

I've tred in secret some Months ago to get almost many as I could to add into A8 versions and I give up.

I could do them, but they take me so much time and many of them I start re-making (and that's not the intention).

They take me many time thinking and thinking, and when I saw so great Pictures work from others I think I would rather go into what I think I'm best:

Try to see how some unreleased Games could look in A8.

And is this that gives me pleasure, and probably will get into somewhere.

With so many Games re-done going-on at the same time, don't say me that some will never see the light?

But thanks for remember me.

It's good to listen.

Thanks.

greetings.

José Pereira.

Others may have different opinions on the subject ranging from why bother to I'd rather people spend their time creating original art on the A8 instead. I'm moreso for original A8 artwork taking advantage of our features with the larger palette and use of gtia modes etc.

At least, I've looked for the Amiga title screen - but it wasn't so nice. It's difficult to top a C64 image by just converting it ;). So I'm more for exclusive A8 artwork too.

EDIT* ..it's already in progress by the time I've written this :)

Feel free to take the tutorial/conversion over if you like. My schedule is full with A8 projects anyway...

Edited by Irgendwer

It is very nicely drawn for sure, particularly where the hand is made to look overexposed with the flash of the spell being cast. There's certainly a lot of talented pixel artists out there. It's funny how you can instantly recognise a c64 pic from it's palette. I partially completed the Cybernoid and Cybernoid II loading pics a couple of years ago, I should go back and finish them and others when I get the projects completed.

Feel free to take the tutorial/conversion over if you like. My schedule is full with A8 projects anyway...
:) I'm full on too with my A8 projects.

I have to admit I very like the pic in terms of art and how the "rubbish" c64 colours were used. same like Cybernoid title screen.

The "rubbish" colours.... well.... for games, colours couldn't have been rubbish enough. It all reminds small kids of candys. So the colours and the usage fit well. This bunch of colours looked always "great" back in those days.

And, well, NOT to do any additional projects in G2F has it's cause. Reading in the polish forum TEBE's posts, it shows that he doesn't even care of my suggestions. Strongly recommended stuff is not used in G2F and all he writes is stuff like "emkay is blaming everything". Well, I have not told him, to add those new bugs that makes troubles when simply trying to save files (for example). In older versions it worked well.... also in Vista.

Player overlay and GTIA Colours do still cause problems.... the overlay isn't shown correctly and editing PM destroyes the background.... It's all real bugs....

Some years before, I'd immediately start to convert the screen to the A8... G2F was a good tool. But now it needs many bugfixes for me , before using it again.

Edited by emkay

Some years before, I'd immediately start to convert the screen to the A8... G2F was a good tool. But now it needs many bugfixes for me , before using it again.

So solve your problem and use older G2F version, without bugs. :) Or use any other program.

For me G2F is very good tool - best Atari-related program.

And i have Vista and now save is no problem for me.

Heaven, are you trying to retouch the picture in some way (i.e finer rez or more/different colours)

If so, wouldn't it be easier to just load in the picture in greyscale format and just add the colour into the picture as appropriate or just change the resolution (obv. to a higher one)

Edited by carmel_andrews

you could try to g2f this one:

94366.gif

its got a reasonably high colour usage but they are localised and alot fall on character edges.

(it's also brand new :) )

Steve

Doesn't seem the most difficult to re-done on G2F.

Not critical, but A8 Higher Pallete you could get this (look at the colours), how will you get it on the 16 colours C64 Pallete:

post-6517-128576613007_thumb.png

O.K., some C64 Pictures seems impossible to G2F, like, probably this one:

post-6517-12857662196_thumb.png

But I continue to think, if someone outside 8bits saw this late C64 picture it will not give any points to it. It will not understand why there aren't more realistic colours there (he doesn't know anything about C64 ColourMap,...).

But he would certainly "high rate" that "Ocean's" A8 picture.

All C64 Picture in 2:1 always seems the same, the way you try "rainbow/shading".

For people who know about this things they can see that is a C64 Pictures Miles away.

Don't misunderstand my points, but I have to say it.

Greetings to all.

José Pereira.

LOL don't you dare accuse me of rainbow shading!

i have just fought a day long battle on CSDB accusing THEM of being sheep and doing nothing but "swirly rainbows" and "surreal colour fades"

i suggest that if you want to see REAL use of c64 colour you look at late 80s and early 90's c64 art.

oh and you do realise that the last pic you posted was done by one of your "own" A8 guys on a c64?

oh and i see no real problem with doing that sub pic on a c64 with minor colour adaptions. (it's got 3 blues a couple of greens a yellow/orange fade and a brown/pink/red fade for the barrels. pretty much a c64 pallette give or take) the only thing you coudnt directly replicate is the super dark green which would have to be rethought.

there are far more complex pics than that as c64 loading screens from the 80s.

Steve

Edited by STE'86

Heaven, are you trying to retouch the picture in some way (i.e finer rez or more/different colours)

If so, wouldn't it be easier to just load in the picture in greyscale format and just add the colour into the picture as appropriate or just change the resolution (obv. to a higher one)

no no... I am not a G2F or gfx guy... just asked the question to the experts and I like the pic... ;)

no no... I am not a G2F or gfx guy... just asked the question to the experts and I like the pic... icon_wink.gif

I wonder about your question at all. The picture is no problem to port to the A8. I'd like to see similar pictures - in compexity - as those C64 titles, plus the better A8 palette,as José suggests, too...

no no... I am not a G2F or gfx guy... just asked the question to the experts and I like the pic... icon_wink.gif

I wonder about your question at all. The picture is no problem to port to the A8. I'd like to see similar pictures - in compexity - as those C64 titles, plus the better A8 palette,as José suggests, too...

err if this picture such such an easy convert how come no bugger has actually posted it converted then?

come on Emkay its money where you mouth is time again...

Steve

At 1st you have to lose all intelligence , to count 16 colours as 64 colours.

Oh dear.....Here we go again......

And anyway C-64 has some methods for exploiting display behavior to get around the limited palette to an often impressive extent:

http://www.studiostyle.sk/dmagic/gallery/gfxmodes.htm

Which seems to me quite the use of intelligence so can you please can the anti-C64 fanboi rants?