IGNORED

Nice score!

jeremysart

Just made a decent score on the bay.

For $12.62 + $6.99 sh, I got the whole LOGO package, Smart Basic, a blank DDP, Buck Rogers, but the biggest reason I bid on it;

DRAGONS LAIR!

I have always wanted to play the ADAM version of the game, I was really impressed by videos I have seen, but never thought I would have a chance to own a physical copy to play on my own ADAM.

Now if I could only get ahold of Super Donkey Kong/ Super Donkey Kong Jr.. (wouldnt it have been funny if they had published a "super" mario bros.? :roll:)

post-24198-128576733685_thumb.jpg

post-24198-128576734684_thumb.jpg

Just made a decent score on the bay.

For $12.62 + $6.99 sh, I got the whole LOGO package, Smart Basic, a blank DDP, Buck Rogers, but the biggest reason I bid on it;

DRAGONS LAIR!

I have always wanted to play the ADAM version of the game, I was really impressed by videos I have seen, but never thought I would have a chance to own a physical copy to play on my own ADAM.

Now if I could only get ahold of Super Donkey Kong/ Super Donkey Kong Jr.. (wouldnt it have been funny if they had published a "super" mario bros.? :roll:)

Congrats on your terrific score... a complete SmartLOGO should go for more than you paid for the entire lot.

BTW, do you own an ADAM 5 1/4" Floppy Disk Drive? If you do and have access to a PC with a 5 1/4" FDD, you can download "The Coleco & ADAM Collection" that I have made available, with the help of many others, and convert the ADAM software from it PC format disk or data pack images back to actual ADAM disks to play on the ADAM. All the necessary utilities are included in the archive as well as almost every piece of ADAM software developed over the years!

Also, if you only have the Digital Data Drives (no disk drive), I would highly recommend making a backup of those data packs ASAP! If they got a lot of use back in the day, the tape is gonna be getting stretched from use and we all now what that means. To backup an ADAM "Super Game" you will need a Right-Directory DDP (used to have thousands of Super Buck Rogers DDPs we would overwrite for this purpose), and all other ADAM software on DDP needs a standard Center-Directory DDP for backup purposes. Plus you will need one of the copy programs (like Backup+ 3.0) that had the ability to copy the Right-Directory "Supergames". For Center-Directory DDPs, any copy program will do.

Jim

I have been able to come across pretty much every gaming/ computing accessory hardware or software I have ever wanted.. yet the ADAM disk drive continues to elude me. I think most in part due to its price when it does surface, and half of them dont work.

I really want one though, and I would like a disk that has a nice compilation of ADAM "super" games. But that will probably not happen.

Thanks for the info :thumbsup: I really should back up Dragons Lair, because I know I will play that a bit. And if I ever do happen to come across a disk drive I would love to be able to check out all of the programs available for the ADAM.

*EDIT*

HAHAHA! Is someone messing with me? My subtitle says "Great ADAM games/ software dirt heap!", I could have swore I typed "dirt cheap!".

Edited by jeremysart

I have been able to come across pretty much every gaming/ computing accessory hardware or software I have ever wanted.. yet the ADAM disk drive continues to elude me. I think most in part due to its price when it does surface, and half of them dont work.

I really want one though, and I would like a disk that has a nice compilation of ADAM "super" games. But that will probably not happen.

Thanks for the info :thumbsup: I really should back up Dragons Lair, because I know I will play that a bit. And if I ever do happen to come across a disk drive I would love to be able to check out all of the programs available for the ADAM.

*EDIT*

HAHAHA! Is someone messing with me? My subtitle says "Great ADAM games/ software dirt heap!", I could have swore I typed "dirt cheap!".

Check out the thread "Keep, sell whole, or split" started by "desiv", he has an immaculate looking ADAM Disk Drive that he is trying to sell along with an ADAM System. Not sure if he's willing to split it up or if it's still available, but it can't hurt to ask.

As far as the missing "c" in cheap, you must have a wireless keyboard like me and sometimes the keypresses aren't picked up. Some of my posts that I don't re-read look like they're in another language! :)

(used to have thousands of Super Buck Rogers DDPs we would overwrite for this purpose

Exasperated GASP!!

SACRILAGE, I TELL YOU!

The one and only DDP game I ever owned on my ADAM ... And you overwrite them, discarding their data goodness for your own evil pleasures?!?!

Send me one and all shall be forgiven. icon_wink.gif

(used to have thousands of Super Buck Rogers DDPs we would overwrite for this purpose

Exasperated GASP!!

SACRILAGE, I TELL YOU!

The one and only DDP game I ever owned on my ADAM ... And you overwrite them, discarding their data goodness for your own evil pleasures?!?!

Send me one and all shall be forgiven. icon_wink.gif

When N.I.A.D. (the Northern Illiana ADAM Users Group) was created in late 1984 by Lyle Marschand, he bought up A LOT of stock from Coleco and other sources and one of the huge lots of products was thousands of Super Buck Rogers DDPs. These were not all that useful back then since everyone got one with their ADAM Computer, except for replacement of damaged/lost DDPs.

So the next best thing to do with them was to re-use them as storage media when making copies of the unreleased Coleco games that were put into the Public Domain. A lot simpler to go this route then to use a stereo system and a 60 min. Sony Cassette to make the copies (and also to drill the necessary 4 holes in the cassette shell.

You could also INITIALIZE these SuperGame DDPs (also referred to as Right Directory DDPs) and use as a blank DDP for storage of files, etc. The only drawback with this is the DDP would have to rewind/fast forward all the way to the "right" to read the directory block... lots of extra wear and tear on the DDP and the Data Drive.

Also, when switching between Center-Directory and Right-Directory DDPs the ADAM can sometimes become confused as to where the directory block is located (another famous ADAM bug) and therefore you would have to press the "Computer Reset" or if you were lucky enough to be using SmartBASIC, just enter a "CALL" to the address which resets ADAMnet.

By the time I/NIAD closed up shop in the middle of 1994, I would estimate that we only had bout 100 of these SBR DDPs unless Lyle had more boxes at his house. :(

Edited by NIAD