IGNORED

New ACSI-Compact Flash adapter

AstFan

New, cheap storage adapter project for speed fans, good for DIY.

Description: http://atari.8bitchip.info/astide.php (second passus)

Schematic: http://atari.8bitchip.info/acsicfs.html

Production of complete boards is planned too, but it will take some time ..

Wow, certainly looks impressive, especially no need for a power supply.

Sign me up for one when they are available. :)

This is very interesting, but as it says it is not compatible with other hard disk drivers, does that mean that a system cannot be used in conjunction with existing hard drives or CD drives?

For example, is there any way to copy my current hard disk to a compact flash in to your interface?

Will I have to give up the ability to use a CD-rom or CD-RW with Extendos?

Thanks

This is very interesting, but as it says it is not compatible with other hard disk drivers, does that mean that a system cannot be used in conjunction with existing hard drives or CD drives?

For example, is there any way to copy my current hard disk to a compact flash in to your interface?

Will I have to give up the ability to use a CD-rom or CD-RW with Extendos?

Nobody said that it is incompatible with other hard disk drivers. It is possible to have more diverse hard disk drivers installed at once. You need only to care about install order, as some drivers as Hddriver tend to 'kill' others. Adapters need custom driver, but it is fully regular in meaning that works under TOS/GEMDOS rules.

So, you can run it together with your current hard disk and CD-RW drivers.

Btw. I don't think that is wise to use Ataris regulary with all possible hard disks, Flash cards and CD/DVD-s attached at once. Such combinations should be only for copiing purposes. After copiing desired stuff, better is to detach drives which not plan to use in next session. Plus, TOS supports max 14 partitions at once, so you may experiment troubles when try to access partitions Q-Z.

Edited by AstFan

In that case, I would buy ((or try to build) four of these.

I was trying to replace my SCSI hard drives with flash based storage connected to SCSI-IDE bridge adapters. Unfortunately the ones I bought are not compatible with Atari computers, and the others are very hard to find. This new adapter sounds like a much better solution.

The ideal for me would be to be able to install these adapters inside a TT, MegaSTE, and MegaST to replace the SCSI hard drives. The MegaST has an internal ACSI connecter, but I don't know about the others. I'll just need to connect an external drive at least to transfer the contents, and would like to be able to use Extendos/CD-Writer if possible.

Thanks

In that case, I would buy ((or try to build) four of these.

I was trying to replace my SCSI hard drives with flash based storage connected to SCSI-IDE bridge adapters. Unfortunately the ones I bought are not compatible with Atari computers, and the others are very hard to find. This new adapter sounds like a much better solution.

The ideal for me would be to be able to install these adapters inside a TT, MegaSTE, and MegaST to replace the SCSI hard drives. The MegaST has an internal ACSI connecter, but I don't know about the others. I'll just need to connect an external drive at least to transfer the contents, and would like to be able to use Extendos/CD-Writer if possible.

Note that there is 2 adapter project on that page. First is for cartridge port, second is for ACSI port. Second is only for CF cards - as is described. Second is good for DIY, first not really.

What kind CD burner you plan to use ? If it is SCSI, do you have ACSI-SCSI adapter ?

I think that most of SCSI-IDE adapters support not CD/DVD devices. And some have problems with CF cards - like mine Yamaha.

I can say that both adapters work well with Mega ST, Mega STE. CATA will not work with TT. ACSI-CF will likely, but I'm not able to test it now. If you want to use them with IDE CD Writer, then only CATA is usable for it. But it needs drivers . I need to write them - hard disk driver is done, CD reader is under work, but for CD Writers I will need some time. It is extra work, but I think that high speed is welcome there.

Considering install into Mega STE: of course possible. If think to replace internal SCSI drive, then must remove internal adapter and find a way how to connect it to ACSI bus - problem may be lack of schematic. There is Mega STE schematic on Devdocs, but for instance it is not good for my Mega STE. So, need to do some measuring, to find correct signals. (at least chip pin layouts are always same) .

Considering install into Mega STE: of course possible. If think to replace internal SCSI drive, then must remove internal adapter and find a way how to connect it to ACSI bus - problem may be lack of schematic. There is Mega STE schematic on Devdocs, but for instance it is not good for my Mega STE. So, need to do some measuring, to find correct signals. (at least chip pin layouts are always same) .

I have this one, don't know if it will help or not - I'm told the internal connector on my

STacy is the same as the Mega STe.

HTHs.

PS Been trying to get an internal cable to use an UltraSatan in my STacy for awhile.

post-5822-12860393404_thumb.jpg

I was planning to use something like a Yamaha 4416 or Plextor SCSI CD-RW. I do have ACSI-SCSI host adapters such as ICD Link. I wonder if Anodyne Software (ExtenDOS, CD-Writer) may be able to adapt their products to your interface.

Thank you for this valuable effort,

Crash

I was planning to use something like a Yamaha 4416 or Plextor SCSI CD-RW. I do have ACSI-SCSI host adapters such as ICD Link. I wonder if Anodyne Software (ExtenDOS, CD-Writer) may be able to adapt their products to your interface.

This is good case. You can then use cartridge port adapter with some hard disk or CF card as source, and ACSI port with ICD adapters + Writer as target. Then no need for special SW adapting - it will work with existing drivers.

It should work pretty fast. Unfortunately AdSCSI ST is not much coooperative with other ACSI adapters. I don't know how is with Link adapters.

Btw. I wrote to Anodyne, but so far nothing replied. In any case, they don't need to adapt CD Writer SW. All what is needed is low-level driver for new IFs (adapters). But as said, if new adapter will be used with hard disks in case of CD writing, then it needs only hard disk driver. Only CD Writing part needs drivers for writers - and they exists for your Plextor SCSI via Link. Since I have Plextor SCSI too, I will soon check how all it works ...

I have this one, don't know if it will help or not - I'm told the internal connector on my

STacy is the same as the Mega STe.

I made new, Mega STE page, with some useful infos for your 'internal' case :

http://atari.8bitchip.info/MegaSTEACSI.html

Hey thanks for that info/page - much appreciated.

So, from that page:

"If want to connect some ACSI device internally, then need to connect to even data pins 2-4-6..."

If I wanted to hook an UltraSatan up internally to my STacy, and it came with the internal SCSI

adapter board, using the cable that came with the UltraSatan, I would remove the internal SCSI board and I'd wire it up like above?

Thanks.

If I wanted to hook an UltraSatan up internally to my STacy, and it came with the internal SCSI

adapter board, using the cable that came with the UltraSatan, I would remove the internal SCSI board and I'd wire it up like above?...

Yes. It is because data goes through internal adapter. If it is removed, you have data lines only at 'internal' side of connector. I think that then best is to use 30-pin connector - it is same as floppy or hard disk connector on cables, just with less pins. Soldering 19 lines on proper pins, modding Satandisk, so that can work from internal 5V of ST, Stacy ... + Cutting case to have access to SD slots ?

Preppie!! :

"any idea when these will be available to buy and the projected cost?"

Working on it. Likely 2 months from now. Still looking for shops with good component prices - they vary much. Other problem is to find 19-pin Sub-D connectors.

• 2 weeks later...