IGNORED

Is this a Gameboy proto?

GKnight

This is the GBC game Rampart. It came in a strange case & has dip switches on it though I don't see any eproms on the circuit board. The case is slightly bigger than normal GB cases and you almost have to force it into the console, which makes me think it's a pirate or something, though the game seems to work fine and the circuit board has "Nintendo" printed on it.

Anybody know if this is a proto?

Thanks.

Rampart002.jpg

Rampart004.jpg

Rampart005.jpg

Rampart006.jpg

To me it appears to be a generic prototype board. It clearly has a 2Mbyte NOR flash chip for storing the game, which implies that there was a fixture for reprogramming it. And it has a Nintendo part number DMG-B02-01, so it's probably an official Nintendo generic prototype board.

The switches would be to set various mapper options such as game size and whether or not to enable the battery backup RAM.

The chip on the lower right says "1M SRAM", so it is 128K bytes of battery backed SRAM.

The 8-pin chip in the middle is the battery regulator chip.

To me it appears to be a generic prototype board. It clearly has a 2Mbyte NOR flash chip for storing the game, which implies that there was a fixture for reprogramming it. And it has a Nintendo part number DMG-B02-01, so it's probably an official Nintendo generic prototype board.

The switches would be to set various mapper options such as game size and whether or not to enable the battery backup RAM.

The chip on the lower right says "1M SRAM", so it is 128K bytes of battery backed SRAM.

The 8-pin chip in the middle is the battery regulator chip.

Thanks, that is very informative.

From my old Gameboy developer days, I wanna' say that I recall that being the way you set the cart to be NTSC or Pal.

It's been awhile though.

- K

Gameboy PAL or NTSC? What for?

That would seem strange for somthing that doesn't hook up to a TV.

-Lee

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From my old Gameboy developer days, I wanna' say that I recall that being the way you set the cart to be NTSC or Pal.

It's been awhile though.

- K

Except the Game Boy is region free...

So if you put an overseas gameboy cart into a Supergameboy it will play just as the US cart on an NTSC TV?

So if you put an overseas gameboy cart into a Supergameboy it will play just as the US cart on an NTSC TV?

Never tried it, but it should work fine since the NTSC/PAL signal is produced by the Super Game Boy itself, not the Game Boy cartridge.

Game Boy screens did not come in NTSC and PAL varieties...they all have the same resolution. So there's no reason why NTSC and PAL display modes would've been programmed into the original games.