IGNORED

Atari's answer to the Intellivision "running man"

tz101

I fired up Swordquest, and then looked at a .gif of Intellivision's running man. I've got to say it didn't look very similar to me at all. I mean the man kind of hunched down as he ran, but the sprite itself didn't look very similar to me.

Maybe any similarity could be due to a limited amount of pixels to build a sprite?

When you're dealing with low screen resolutions and limited colors and memory, there's only so many ways you can combine pixles to make a running man. icon_razz.gif

Actually I was always under the impression that Atari's unofficial mascot was the Yar.

No, it's 2600 Pac Man. *runs for cover*

:rolling:

At least I didn't say it was E.T. :P

I was curious, so I ripped the sprites from Atari's SwordQuest:Fireworld and Intellivision's NFL Football...

post-23476-128688838775_thumb.gif

(click on the image to see the animated gif)

I can see some resemblance, but I think it's only inspiration or co-incidental.

Edited by RevEng

I always figured atari's mascot was Joust, or one of those other games they trot out on every system.

Huh, when I was little I assumed it was Pac Man. :ponder:

Apparently it didn't occur to either of you that those aren't Atari games. They're Williams and Namco games, respectively.

If memory serves, the reason so many INTV games use the same "running man" sprite is because it's built into the system ROM.

I always figured atari's mascot was Joust, or one of those other games they trot out on every system.

Huh, when I was little I assumed it was Pac Man. :ponder:

Apparently it didn't occur to either of you that those aren't Atari games. They're Williams and Namco games, respectively.

If memory serves, the reason so many INTV games use the same "running man" sprite is because it's built into the system ROM.

I was 7. Cut me some slack.

FWIW, I've come across lots of other people that the first game/thing they think of when I mention "Atari" is "Pac-Man". :D