IGNORED

C64 running on 4 pin PC power

jamesk

I had a C64 but no power supply. Instead of buying an old C64 power supply or a 5VDC & 9VAC supply I decided to wire it up for PC power. I found a good external regulated brick power supply with a Molex 4pin 12v & 5v. The problem with this is 9VAC supplies power for the TOD circuit and the RF modulator. The TOD circuit isn't a big deal but I wanted it to work. I used a MM5369 IC (PIC or 555 can be used) with a 3.579MHZ crystal to provide a 60hz clock for the TOD circuit. The RF modulator is being powered by 5v. This doesn't seem to cause any problems as both RF and composite work fine. RCA outputs were added to the back of the C64. The keyboard had to be replaced with a spare because you had to pound on the A key to get it to work. I have an uIEC that I plan on installing tonight. The case for the uIEC is made out of a 2600 cart which is ready to go, I just need to make a cable. Then I need to figure out how to use a C64 :)

post-18310-128743605903_thumb.jpg

Did I understand you correctly in that you now do NOT have 9VAC?

That's also needed for the cassette drive (if you want to use that) and, more importantly, the SID chip. So without it, you won't have sound... Support for paddle controllers also depends on the SID.

Edited by Herbarius

Did I understand you correctly in that you now do NOT have 9VAC?

That's also needed for the cassette drive (if you want to use that) and, more importantly, the SID chip. So without it, you won't have sound... Support for paddle controllers also depends on the SID.

I don't want to use a cassette drive :) I remember waiting for that thing to load 1942. How long did that take, 30 minutes?

I have the 6581 SID which unless I've made an error requires 12VDC on pin 28 and 5VDC on pin 25.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a bit embarrassing, I was unable to get the label of the cartridge so it's not very clean. At some point I will clean it and make some proper label/graphics on water slide decal and seal with polycrylic.

I mostly used a nibbler with some Dremel. A female pin header was used to extend the card a bit. The cartridge snaps back together like it originally did minus the screw.

post-18310-128941090928_thumb.jpg

post-18310-128941091945_thumb.jpg

post-18310-12894109273_thumb.jpg

Edited by jamesk