IGNORED

Digital Joysticks provide better control than Analog Joysticks

atariksi

Digital Joysticks vs. Analog Joysticks  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Digital Joystick or Analog

• I prefer Atari 2600 style Digital Joysticks
    • I prefer Analog Joysticks (Wico/A5200/Gravis PC/etc.)
    • I prefer arrow keys and CTRL key

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Potatohead, I like analog control, too. But even if I didn't, there exists plenty of circumstantial evidence that analog control is objectively superior in some cases. For example, video gaming is nowadays a professional sport with large cash prizes, and none of the hundreds of people who have made a living at this sport have ever foregone analog for digital control.

Another example: I know of no military vehicles that operate via digital controls (a few may?) If digital control were always superior, it would have shown up as an advantage in warfare long ago.

atariksi was the mentor who introduced me to game programming, and I am grateful for that. But I do not recommend you argue with him on the computer. It will be punishing and nobody will win.

Digital conversions are going on gradually from analog, but there's the tradition and practice before the digital age that they used analog devices. They don't resemble analog joysticks and they also don't need the fast-paced action and can rely on feedback. If you couldn't rely on feedback, those breaks, gas pedals, yolks, etc. would be useless. It's worse for analog joysticks since there are a variety of them with short throw and long throw and software has to support all types so the in-between states are heavily reliant on feedback. Compare that to digital joysticks where you know the state a priori.

The difference between analog joystick and digital joystick is like blind man crossing the street and someone who can see. Uncertainty vs. certainty. And long throw or slow reaction vs. shortest throw possible and fast reaction time. If I see road is clear, I run across. For blind man, poke around and wait for feedback after every step.

So my example of the "dark side" about darth vador types of analog joysticks wasn't just a joke. Analog side is the dark side form uncertainty point of view.

For giggles, I present a simple thought experiment:

Imagine a game. The video display shows a single number between 1 and 100. The CPU is very slow, or busy, or far away. Once each second, the CPU can sample the input hardware, select a random number, and update the display to show the new number.

The goal of the game is to, somehow, using the input device, indicate the number on the display before it changes. There are ten rounds and the number of correct indications is the score. A score of ten indicates victory.

A digital input sample can express only three possibilities, while the number can express one of a hundred values. An analog input sample can indicate any of the hundred numbers.

While it is possible to win the game with digital controls, it becomes a game of chance where at each round, there is a 97% chance of losing regardless of skill. With analog controls, this is purely a game of skill where there is a 100% chance of winning if you play skillfully enough.

There can exist no corollary game that is more winnable with digital than analog, because any analog input can be filtered to become a digital input.

So at least in theory, digital control has now been proven not always superior.

:)

Edited by bmcnett
  • Like 6

Digital conversions are going on gradually from analog, but there's the tradition and practice before the digital age that they used analog devices. They don't resemble analog joysticks and they also don't need the fast-paced action and can rely on feedback. If you couldn't rely on feedback, those breaks, gas pedals, yolks, etc. would be useless. It's worse for analog joysticks since there are a variety of them with short throw and long throw and software has to support all types so the in-between states are heavily reliant on feedback. Compare that to digital joysticks where you know the state a priori.

The difference between analog joystick and digital joystick is like blind man crossing the street and someone who can see. Uncertainty vs. certainty. And long throw or slow reaction vs. shortest throw possible and fast reaction time. If I see road is clear, I run across. For blind man, poke around and wait for feedback after every step.

So my example of the "dark side" about darth vador types of analog joysticks wasn't just a joke. Analog side is the dark side form uncertainty point of view.

I'm not going to respond to the points here, because I don't understand them. This was nominally a response to my post, but (I think) contains no reference to anything I said.

The broken English is a strange touch, because atariksi's spoken English is fluent.

I guess I can refute the idea that analog joysticks require feedback and digital joysticks do not, though it's probably been refuted here a few times before.

1) The Intellivision joystick is digital, but since it is a flat disk with no markings, there is no way to know confidently which direction you've indicated without feedback.

2) The Apple joystick is analog, but since its limits of motion are bounded by a rectangle, no feedback is required to know when it is at a diagonal limit.

Edited by bmcnett
  • Like 1

For giggles, I present a simple thought experiment:

Imagine a game. The video display shows a single number between 1 and 100. The CPU is very slow, or busy, or far away. Once each second, the CPU can sample the input hardware, select a random number, and update the display to show the new number.

The goal of the game is to, somehow, using the input device, indicate the number on the display before it changes. There are ten rounds and the number of correct indications is the score. A score of ten indicates victory.

A digital input sample can express only three possibilities, while the number can express one of a hundred values. An analog input sample can indicate any of the hundred numbers.

While it is possible to win the game with digital controls, it becomes a game of chance where at each round, there is a 97% chance of losing regardless of skill. With analog controls, this is purely a game of skill where there is a 100% chance of winning if you play skillfully enough.

There can exist no corollary game that is more winnable with digital than analog, because any analog input can be filtered to become a digital input.

So at least in theory, digital control has now been proven not always superior.

:)

I don't know you but you are grossly mistaken. We just got through arguing and refuting this a few posts back when someone claimed you can mimic a digital joystick with an analog one. Are you sure you know what you are talking about because you have 100% control in a digital game but with analog you have less than that given its uncertainties due to thresholds and slower switching time. You have very little experience with playing games mentioned in this thread (post #114) I can gather as you are completely mistaken. You need more than mental speculation to prove things. You need either some controlled experiment or some logical/mathematical proof. You did neither.

Just playing with Donkey Kong last week in HSC, I can easily get much higher scores with digital joystick than with analog joystick (using Atari 800 and Atari 5200 versions).

Why the fuss about you being in favor of digital when you want to argue against them. At least be coherent in your posts.

...someone claimed you can mimic a digital joystick with an analog one.

In fact, any digital joystick - let's say the original Atari 2600 joystick - could be replaced (at great cost!) by an analog joystick that looks the same, has exactly the same hand feel, and which outputs the same digital signal (after filtering.) It would be impossible to determine whether the stick is analog or digital, without opening it up to examine its guts.

By this same means, many modern video game systems have analog push buttons, which in most games are interpreted as digital buttons. There is no way for the game player to know that the buttons are not digital, as long as they play digital-only games and do not Google posts like this! ;)

Twenty years ago, atariksi's flame wars read like the words of Yoda the Jedi Master. Stuff like "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering" but taken from the scripture of a major world religion. Sure it was corny, but at least it seemed earnest and consistent.

Now with the female sock puppet and the prosaic subject matter, the narrative has lost its internal logic. Imagine if Yoda had said "Chevrolet leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. Buy Ford you must" and occasionally pretended to be female. That's how this religious flame war about joysticks in Atari 5200 Donkey Kong feels to me. It is difficult to sympathize with Yoda's point of view. I'm here because I'm concerned about atariksi's state of mind. Something seems amiss.

Edited by bmcnett
  • Like 8

I'm not going to respond to the points here, because I don't understand them.

Thanks for being truthful. Because you did write in post #669 that you are no expert on joysticks and I did make it clear that I give ZERO to opinions of people. Opinions are like trash for me and I am no trashbox. Mental speculations are opinions as well.

I guess I can refute the idea that analog joysticks require feedback and digital joysticks do not, though it's probably been refuted here a few times before.

Do yourself a favor and stick to what you know rather than speculate. Everything you wrote so far has been refuted many times. And for your information that wasn't my point regarding feedback.

...someone claimed you can mimic a digital joystick with an analog one.

In fact, any digital joystick - let's say the original Atari 2600 joystick - could be replaced (at great cost!) by an analog joystick that looks the same, has exactly the same hand feel, and which outputs the same digital signal (after filtering.) It would be impossible to determine whether the stick is analog or digital, without opening it up to examine its guts.

You are 100% wrong. Please read the thread as don't see any sincerity that you are even going to accept if I repeated myself.

Twenty years ago, atariksi's flame wars read like the words of Yoda the Jedi Master. Stuff like "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering" but taken from the scripture of a major world religion. Sure it was corny, but at least it seemed earnest and consistent.

You are once again 100% wrong. This is not a flame war although you are mistakenly treating it like one or maybe trying to force it to become one. This is an objective controlled experiment performed by me and some others. I gave data to back up my claim and also math/logic as well. That topic was religion in Stevens-Institute so you can expect religious quotes. This is a joystick topic. It makes a difference. You don't see any quotes from scripture here. Neither this is trolling nor that one was. You can stop the insults and mental speculation. Start your own topic if you want a flame war as I have better things to do with my life.

Now with the female sock puppet and the prosaic subject matter, the narrative has lost its internal logic.

Once again speculating things won't help you here nor trying to bait people into a flame war. If you came just to ruin things, you'll be put on ignore. I don't give a crap about whether you were in college with me around the same time. You are more envious it seems now then you were back then. There's a world of difference between proof and speculation. By the way, if you took some logic, your claim in post #669 and #674 are self-contradictory (P & -P).

Once again speculating things won't help you here nor trying to bait people into a flame war. If you came just to ruin things, you'll be put on ignore. I don't give a crap about whether you were in college with me around the same time. You are more envious it seems now then you were back then. There's a world of difference between proof and speculation. By the way, if you took some logic, your claim in post #669 and #674 are self-contradictory (P & -P).

For maybe the first time ever, I actually went back and looked at the numbered posts you mentioned. I gotta tell ya, most people don't do that because it requires the other party to dig around a lot. Ok so in #674, I say that I like analog control (BTW I like digital too) and I say that there's circumstantial evidence that analog is sometimes better. Then I say that you were my mentor but arguing with you on the computer is punishing.

In #669, I say this thread fits your MMO but with way m0ar crazy! Sock puppet is new. Thought you did it for the Krishna, but doubt Krishna had much to say about Atari 5200 Donkey Kong joysticks... Said a little about the game industry, where I work. Tried to explain that trolling is just your way to make friends on the computer. Said that I like digital joysticks - when playing digital joystick games.

I don't see a contradiction. Why don't you say what that contradiction was? I don't have the energy to fight the robo-posting like in the old days. I have a wife and two kids and a job now, and I guess you have something like that too.

• Like 6

strangenewski: (to Remo) Why don't you address the points made in the thread rather than make blanket statements without any backing[?] [question form edited by me]

, and

You opinion is worth ZERO.

, finally:

You have yet to make any valid point in this thread.

So, for the record, 'case Remo gets lonely, I'll back it with a clear observation that only one point really needs to be made; namely, "better" does, in fact, render the entire discussion useless, and quite unprovable, without a qualifier, which happens to be the only point Remo made, along with the only necessary one to answer the challenged posed to us by the original poster, asked for, mind you, not forced.

Remember Atariski, you personally are on record, ASKING FOR IT. Is there any wonder about people showing up to deliver?

Edited by potatohead

Which joystick do you prefer when playing games?

The above quote uses the word "prefer". To me the response calls for an opinion (based on experience and other factors, of course).

Trivia question: What post number is this from, and who does the quote belong to?

Have fun! Sorry, no prizes.

For maybe the first time ever, I actually went back and looked at the numbered posts you mentioned. I gotta tell ya, most people don't do that because it requires the other party to dig around a lot. Ok so in #674, I say that I like analog control (BTW I like digital too) and I say that there's circumstantial evidence that analog is sometimes better. Then I say that you were my mentor but arguing with you on the computer is punishing.

In #669, I say this thread fits your MMO but with way m0ar crazy! Sock puppet is new. Thought you did it for the Krishna, but doubt Krishna had much to say about Atari 5200 Donkey Kong joysticks... Said a little about the game industry, where I work. Tried to explain that trolling is just your way to make friends on the computer. Said that I like digital joysticks - when playing digital joystick games.

I don't see a contradiction. Why don't you say what that contradiction was? I don't have the energy to fight the robo-posting like in the old days. I have a wife and two kids and a job now, and I guess you have something like that too.

I agree. This has happened to me, too, where I've been asked to look back at posts. I reread them, try to figure out what Atariksi is trying to say, then give up because there's no direct response to what I was saying.

I also agree that an analog joystick can be designed to mimic a digital joystick. The other way around, not so easy.

• Like 2

The above quote uses the word "prefer". To me the response calls for an opinion (based on experience and other factors, of course).

Trivia question: What post number is this from, and who does the quote belong to?

That's pretty good progress given that was one of the posts you missed earlier. Oh, that's part of what's written and I don't see the problem as long as you don't selectively quote one word. And it's "based on experience of both" and you are allowed to vote however you want.

That's pretty good progress given that was one of the posts you missed earlier. Oh, that's part of what's written and I don't see the problem as long as you don't selectively quote one word. And it's "based on experience of both" and you are allowed to vote however you want.

That post I've read several times.

It's a complete sentence that's quoted. The first sentence from the post.

Now I've given enough hints. ;)

Feel free to respond, listing your favourite posts that I may have missed... ones with useful information, of course. ;)

Feel free to respond, listing your favourite posts that I may have missed... ones with useful information, of course. ;)

A sentence doesn't form the context either just a single word "prefer" doesn't. Here's a sentence you missed or didn't take into account:

Leaving out subjectivity like "I like the looks of the analog one", "I'm more used to the analog one", or "That one looks like my neighbor or reminds me of old times" please select in an objective manner according to your own experience with both.

And previously we had a debate over paddles which is also mentioned in the same post.

A sentence doesn't form the context either just a single word "prefer" doesn't. Here's a sentence you missed or didn't take into account:

Leaving out subjectivity like "I like the looks of the analog one", "I'm more used to the analog one", or "That one looks like my neighbor or reminds me of old times" please select in an objective manner according to your own experience with both.

And previously we had a debate over paddles which is also mentioned in the same post.

Those examples of subjectivity just point out that your preference should be based on practical experience, as opposed to how it makes you feel... knowing that it looks like your neighbour. ;) The examples don't negate the first sentence, they just qualify it. If they did negate the first sentence, then this whole thread is in vain (wait, did I really write that. ;)).

Those examples of subjectivity just point out that your preference should be based on practical experience, as opposed to how it makes you feel... knowing that it looks like your neighbour. ;) The examples don't negate the first sentence, they just qualify it. If they did negate the first sentence, then this whole thread is in vain (wait, did I really write that. ;)).

They are related but going by experience of both is much better than just picking one because it happens to be more commonly in use presently.

It's not a particular instance-- I mentioned many cases where analog has higher failure rate just in Donkey Kong. You do worse in the entire game--

You do worse in the entire game.

+1,000 :thumbsup:

No need to get emotional. As I said, opinions don't mean much to me. The fact that only controlled experiments done show that digital joysticks provide better control means by induction that they apply to others as well. Just like F=ma example. And there's the logic/math to back up that they in fact must follow the same results. No need to dismiss the facts under the rug and try to make F=ma other other experiments look subjective.

2 problems here.

Controlled experiments. And what controls were used to keep the results from being biased? You are clearly showing where an analog joystick failed in a game designed for digital joysticks. That was clearly the aim of your "experiment".

And then you refer to F=ma again when we know that has nothing to do with this and you haven't shown how you analyzed the data. This would be a statistical analysis rather than simple math anyway.

Unless you can demonstrate F=ma was used in the analysis of the data you need to drop it from the discussion.

It's not a particular instance-- I mentioned many cases where analog has higher failure rate just in Donkey Kong. You do worse in the entire game--

You do worse in the entire game.

+1,000 :thumbsup:

No need to get emotional. As I said, opinions don't mean much to me. The fact that only controlled experiments done show that digital joysticks provide better control means by induction that they apply to others as well. Just like F=ma example. And there's the logic/math to back up that they in fact must follow the same results. No need to dismiss the facts under the rug and try to make F=ma other other experiments look subjective.

2 problems here.

Controlled experiments. And what controls were used to keep the results from being biased? You are clearly showing where an analog joystick failed in a game designed for digital joysticks. That was clearly the aim of your "experiment".

And then you refer to F=ma again when we know that has nothing to do with this and you haven't shown how you analyzed the data. This would be a statistical analysis rather than simple math anyway.

Unless you can demonstrate F=ma was used in the analysis of the data you need to drop it from the discussion.

As far as I see it, F=ma and digital joysticks > analog joysticks in control both can be experimentally proven and both are mathematical relations. It's easier to prove an inequality than an exact equation. The point you missed is that whatever failures you have in games for digital joysticks also exist in all other games; you may not notice them but the inaccuracy remains.

As far as I see it, F=ma and digital joysticks > analog joysticks in control both can be experimentally proven and both are mathematical relations.

Fine, post your formula. F=ma isn't it.

It's easier to prove an inequality than an exact equation. The point you missed is that whatever failures you have in games for digital joysticks also exist in all other games; you may not notice them but the inaccuracy remains.

And you are missing the point. Was there ANY effort to measure failures of digital joysticks attached to games written for analog joysticks? NO. It's a biased experiment.

NAME the other inaccuracies... no more statements without proof. Back it up!

• Like 3

Potatohead is right that a discussion of whether A is "better" than B is meaningless without also qualifications that can be tested objectively.

In the case of analog vs. digital joysticks, I'm satisfied by the qualification "does the control scheme make it impossible to win a game?" It would seem that a control scheme that guarantees failure is not "better." Arguments to the contrary are guaranteed to get a laugh. ;)

Every mainstream game sold for a TV game system in about ten years has had analog joysticks. I suspect that at least one of these games would be impossible to win with a digital joystick. Having worked on only about five of them and spent not too much time in the joystick code, I have no proof to offer that this is the case. It would seem that if there is such a game, probably it is one where you need to quickly identify targets on the screen, like you would with a mouse on a desktop PC. Unfortunately, there is a trend towards making games easier to win that makes it harder to prove unwinnability. I also refuse to spend the time necessary to do so, because I have a life.

Atariksi made the claim that I am even more jealous of him than twenty years ago! To be honest, I was briefly jealous of him twenty years ago. We both were busy acquiring computer peripherals that cost about $500. I was working as a janitor in a supermarket for minimum wage to earn the money I needed. And at least in one case, atariksi scammed a company out of a $500 peripheral by lying to them about who he was, and then bragged to me (and presumably many others) about this deed. I'm not a religious man, but according to my Catholic upbringing, that would be morally equivalent to stealing the peripheral from a store. I was briefly jealous of atariksi's ability to act without morality.

I don't know much about what atariksi's been up to in the last twenty years, but I'm happy with my life and I hope he is happy with his, as well. If he were a software mogul worth billions, I sure would be jealous again!

Edited by bmcnett

Potatohead is right that a discussion of whether A is "better" than B is meaningless without also qualifications that can be tested objectively.

In the case of analog vs. digital joysticks, I'm satisfied by the qualification "does the control scheme make it impossible to win a game?" It would seem that a control scheme that guarantees failure is not "better." Arguments to the contrary are guaranteed to get a laugh. ;)

What got a laugh was your thought experiment or better stated as speculation-- mental regurgitation of pure drivel would be an underestimation. You are free to express your opinion but as I said it means ZERO to me in face of the facts presented in this thread. I already gave the BASIC experiment which is easily performed to determine which joystick allows you to know the states a priori and digital joystick wins hands down. You can't look at games after the fact. You have to have games that are designed for both or use a joystick simulator to allow use of both types of joysticks for the games if doable and then it's controlled. Here's the BASIC experiment and try it yourself since you are too lazy to read up on the thread:

Connect analog joystick to Atari 800 with pin 5 to potY and pin 9 to potX and +5V to POT GND and fire button to pin 3 with GND at pin 8:

10 ?PADDLE(0),PADDLE(1),PTRIG(0)

20 GOTO 10

Now for digital joystick do:

10 ? STICK(0),STRIG(0)

20 GOTO 10

Now close your eyes and take joystick to one of the 9 states and guess the values and then see if they are true. The 9 states are the 8 directions and center. You just have to take your analog joystick to the thresholds where the states change. Now you know what I'm talking about in terms of control.

Every mainstream game sold for a TV game system in about ten years has had analog joysticks...

That proves nothing. I am mostly repeating myself since these arguments have already been refuted. Computers get upgraded and somethings get sacrificed or not updated; not everything is the top of the line. Sometimes for compatibility reasons things are sacrificed. To maintain 8088 compatibility, they had to increase code complexity on modern processors with prefix codes and so on. Analog joysticks were inferior in the 1980s as most companies like Amiga, Commodore, Atari, Sega, etc. used digital ones. Just because the majority now uses analog doesn't make it right.

Atariksi made the claim that I am even more jealous of him than twenty years ago! To be honest, I was briefly jealous of him twenty years ago. We both were busy acquiring computer peripherals that cost about $500. I was working as a janitor in a supermarket for minimum wage to earn the money I needed.

You can stop the troll baiting. That's strike two for you. One more and you'll be on ignore. I never scammed anyone. I always have followed laws of morality. You have me mixed up with someone else or are now making things up to try to make yourself look good. I DO NOT know you for 20 years like you claim. I only met you in college and maybe once after college. You tried to shut-down my multimedia streaming project in college by sending broadcast messages to the same Network ID that I was using is all I remember of you.

I don't know much about what atariksi's been up to in the last twenty years, but I'm happy with my life and I hope he is happy with his, as well. If he were a software mogul worth billions, I sure would be jealous again!

Thanks for admitting the truth. You don't really know me. I was a computer engineer; you were in CS as I recall which explains why you don't understand the regions of uncertainty regarding joysticks as well.