Jump to content
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012 8:01 PM
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2012 11:48 AM
Posted Sat Nov 3, 2012 4:32 PM
Posted Sat Nov 3, 2012 5:06 PM
I'm attaching screenshots explaining the difference of spring landing between the Arcade and 7800. While doing so I noticed why the spring land points are different:
In the above, the Arcade and 7800 land perfectly the same. Jumpman is able to stand at the top of the ladder without issue.
Notice how Jumpman is able to safely stay by the edge of the second set of elevators while the springs go overhead in the Arcade. This is crucial to be able to do in later stages of the game as the springs are too fast to make it up the last ladder to Pauline from the previous ladder. You need the extra second or two provided by being at that placement and then make the dash for the ladder.
You can't do that in the 7800, as the spring - as the screenshot shows, falls directly in the spot. However, looking at both sets of screenshots shows the real problem:
While the Arcade level has been stretched horizontally to meet the 7800 resolution, it was not done so in a proportional manner. Look at the start and end marks of structures as they are not in the same spot correspondingly to what is adjacent as in the Arcade. The distances are not proportionally the same. Start and end points are different - spacing is different.
Unfortuantely, it looks like this is one 'fix' that cannot be done. At least not with the current level design.
Edited by darryl1970, Sat Nov 3, 2012 5:12 PM.
Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012 11:48 AM
It's possible. I would need to use the oil can's palette, find space for the graphics, and add code to change the palette in the display list depending on which barrel is being displayed. Only hickup is if I run out of time in the vertical blank for the extra code. As it is, the code doesn't finish until after the next screen starts to draw.
The only other improvement I could think of off the top of my head would be regarding the barrels on the first screen. Is it possible to get the ones that make the fireballs be blue in color with the skulls on the lids?
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:00 AM
... just a few ideas about the graphics, now please do not shoot me
Many thanks for your kind attention.
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:21 PM
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:08 PM
Grooveybee thinks I can safely add another line to the display, so these mockup's look possible.
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:25 PM
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:09 PM
Just keep in mind that if that is done, you may not be able to see the high score or the top of Pauline's head on a CRT because of overscan. Some of Bob's 320 mode games are like that on some of my TVs as well. In Moon Cresta, for example, the score and extra lives are not visible on some of my TVs.
For the high score, many people may not care since it's not really vital to gameplay, but Pauline's head being cut off (if it turns out that way after testing), may be a bit harder to overlook.
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:10 PM
This is really a great news!!
I did not think it was necessary add another line to the display because I used the animation of end of the level as a reference to determine the highest visible line, but of course it was only an empirical evaluation.
So it looks like we finally have the space to place Pauline as in the arcade version!
Fingers crossed ...
Guys thank you!!
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:35 AM
I like what you have done. I actually finished moving Pauling to the top girder about the time you posted this.
I still need to work on score locations and the bonus timer.
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:48 PM
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:46 PM
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:25 PM
Awsome work! Thanks!
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:34 AM
Awesome job! This will make a huge improvement!
I studied very carefully the graphics of Mario and I saw that there is a good room for improvement.
I redesigned all the sprites, I tried to get the maximum geometric symmetry than the arcade version to replicate the animation with the greatest possible coherence.
If you like it or if it can be of help, I'm happy to share.
As always, thank you for your kind attention.
Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:00 PM
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:19 AM
I just added a POKEY to my CC2 but can't get any sound at all using the .BIN that GroovyBee uploaded.
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users