An unnamed game inspired by "Grand Theft Auto"

31 replies to this topic

#1 Atarius Maximus OFFLINE  

Atarius Maximus

Stargunner

• 1,798 posts
  • Load "Atari2600",8,1: SYS32777

Posted Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:29 PM

I've been working on this game for the last week or so. It's a multi screen adventure (similar to Cave In) that incorporates batari's Indy500 code, you're driving a car around rather than walking around. I included 254 individual road screens for you to drive around on. The goal I was thinking of was that you'd have to burglarize the 50 houses that I spread out around the map. You can currently enter all 50 multi-room houses, but there's not really anything to do inside them yet.

I included the ability to pull up a road map screen that shows you your exact location on the map. Activate the map screen by toggling the color/bw switch. When you're on the map screen, move left and right to see both parts of the map. In order to enter houses, you'll have to exit your car. Enter/exit your car by toggling the left A/B difficulty switch. When you exit your car, you won't be able to leave the screen you're on, but you'll be able to walk into the houses. Houses you can enter have a different colored door. Also, to change the top speed of your car (fast/slow), toggle the right difficulty switch.

I'm still pretty early in the development process, so I'd love to hear any feedback or suggestions. All of the graphics in the game will likely be changed, some of the screens are just placeholders. I'm not sure exactly where I'm going to go with this yet, but it's been a lot of fun to make it so far. I love driving games, and I especially love Grand Theft Auto. :) There are likely still some bugs and issues here and there, I've still got lots of work to do.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• indy2.jpg
  • indy1.jpg
  • indy3.jpg
  • indy4.jpg
  • indy5.jpg

Attached Files

• Attached File  gta.bin   32KB   156 downloads
  • Attached File  gta.txt   91.08KB   128 downloads

#2 Nesbroslash OFFLINE  

Nesbroslash

Dragonstomper

• 509 posts
  • Classic Namco enthusiast

Posted Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:18 PM

That's actually a cool idea! Sounds like one of those games that they wouldn't have marketed towards families due to a few blood pixels.

#3 Animan OFFLINE  

Animan

River Patroller

• 2,391 posts
  • Just some guy who plays Atari and watches Anime.

Posted Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:37 PM

Damn, you beat me to it!

This looks good so far, can't wait to see more of it.

#4 gambler172 OFFLINE  

gambler172

River Patroller

• 3,014 posts
  • none

Posted Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:53 AM

Hi Steve
Looks great.
greetings Walter

#5 Philsan OFFLINE  

Philsan

River Patroller

• 3,324 posts
  • New Orleans Saints Super Bowl XLIV Champions

Posted Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:34 AM

Very promising Steve!

#6 TooSlowGamer OFFLINE  

TooSlowGamer

Chopper Commander

• 126 posts

Posted Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:29 PM

Very promising. I'm loving it.

However, would it be possible to change exiting your car from the console switches to something on the controller, or second controller?

#7 Gemintronic OFFLINE  

Gemintronic

Jason S. - Lead Developer & CEO

• 8,816 posts

Posted Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:37 PM

Very cool! An idea that needs to happen for sure. Although, honestly, I was going to be REALLY jealous if you used Bataris 4-way scrolling engine for the car driving mode. :P

#8 Piggles OFFLINE  

Piggles

Chopper Commander

• 100 posts

Posted Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:50 PM

More please! I love it.

#9 Random Terrain ONLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 27,909 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:57 PM

. . . so I'd love to hear any feedback or suggestions.

If the theft of autos is not possible from the lack of sprites, you can always turn it into a modified version of Death Race 2000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZLYEbkykCI&rel=0&fmt=35&showinfo=0

But in this case one player at a time would speed through the streets of a post-apocalyptic world, running over various types of random pedestrians for points and picking up bonus items that randomly litter the roadways. You could use the original scoring system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2x7gHxQYYE&rel=0&fmt=35&showinfo=0

In your version, there could be crusty-looking pedestrians that should be avoided since they carry bombs that will damage your car if you ram into them.

#10 Gemintronic OFFLINE  

Gemintronic

• 8,816 posts

Posted Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:01 PM

Some random thoughts (Yes, I stole them from RT)

* Mission dialogue could be presented in silent film format (in their own screen)
* Cars could be represented by playfield pixels until stolen by the player.
* For that matter, pedestrians could be playfield pixels.
* I thought there was a life counter mini kernel. You could use that for stars (wanted levels) instead.
* If you hack yourself a 16 character score kernel you could use it for current weapon and ammo.
* I still think THIS could be used for a scrolling map screen if it could be updated for the latest bB builds.

#11 Atarius Maximus OFFLINE  

Atarius Maximus

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,798 posts

Posted Mon Nov 1, 2010 12:28 PM

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions. I'll be working on this in the coming weeks, I'll post updates when I can.

My goal isn't to make a perfect clone of GTA, there's just way too much in that game to squeeze in to 32k. Posted Image I just had that game in my head when I started working on this. There's not going to be enough space to create a mission based game like the original, I'm going to need to have a single, basic "mission" or goal to beat the game.

A few thoughts on the comments...

Posted Image Mission dialogue could be presented in silent film format (in their own screen)

I like that idea but I don't think I'll be able to do it due to space constraints. I won't rule it out until I play around with the idea a bit, though.

Posted Image Cars could be represented by playfield pixels until stolen by the player.

It wouldn't be hard to do that, I could have randomly placed parked cars that could be stolen. I could have faster/slower cars, and maye alter how they handle a little bit (like the "ice" track in Indy500 for a poor handling car, for example). I'm not sure if changing cars would make much difference in gameplay other than making it easier (or harder) to get around on the map, though.

Posted Image For that matter, pedestrians could be playfield pixels.

True enough. I'm going to have to be creative with how I use the ball, missiles, and one extra sprite. The sprite will either be used for other cars on the road or pedestrians, but one of them is going to have to be a ball or missile.

Posted Image I thought there was a life counter mini kernel. You could use that for stars (wanted levels) instead.

There is, and I've already got that incorporated into the game. I could use a 1-3 three star wanted level rating on one side and a health meter for your car on the other. I'm not sure what I'd do in the game once you had a higher wanted level though, being chased down by dozens of cops isn't going to work.

Posted Image If you hack yourself a 16 character score kernel you could use it for current weapon and ammo.

I could incorporate limited ammo and a counter to keep track of it, but I probably won't be able to include multiple types of weapons in the game. Of course, just changing the firing rate could make a pistol into a machine gun, right? Posted Image

Posted Image I still think THIS could be used for a scrolling map screen if it could be updated for the latest bB builds.

I remember that, it's very cool. Using and modifying that code for this project is a bit beyond my skill level, though.

Posted Image But in this case one player at a time would speed through the streets of a post-apocalyptic world, running over various types of random pedestrians for points and picking up bonus items that randomly litter the roadways
Posted Image In your version, there could be crusty-looking pedestrians that should be avoided since they carry bombs that will damage your car if you ram into them.

I had thought about doing something like that. There needs to be something on each screen to either avoid or try to kill. I like the idea of pedestrians that could be taken out for bonus items or points.

Posted Image would it be possible to change exiting your car from the console switches to something on the controller, or second controller?

Yep, that's an easy change, it will probably be changed to the second joystick eventually. For now, I'm going to leave it like it is - it's easier for me to keep it that way for using it with Stella. Using the touch pad controller would be kind of cool too, I think I saw a thread that demonstrates how to do that.

I've got lots of work to do! Thanks again to everyone for all the ideas, it's definitely got me thinking. Posted Image

Steve

#12 TooSlowGamer OFFLINE  

TooSlowGamer

Chopper Commander

• 126 posts

Posted Mon Nov 1, 2010 2:25 PM

Yep, that's an easy change, it will probably be changed to the second joystick eventually. For now, I'm going to leave it like it is - it's easier for me to keep it that way for using it with Stella. Using the touch pad controller would be kind of cool too, I think I saw a thread that demonstrates how to do that.
Steve

A touchpad would be AMAZING! Especially if you found uses for all the buttons. I don't know what you could do with them, but a knife and a gun powerup would make it more like the original. You could also add a third weapon like a flamethrower. But, I don't know how much space you have and you still have to add an objective (or do you? The funnest thing in GTA was to run around and kill people..._

#13 yuppicide OFFLINE  

yuppicide

I am the Black Knight. Give me your money!

• 6,933 posts

Posted Mon Nov 1, 2010 6:51 PM

Great work! If you continue this, I think it could be as successful as "Halo 2600" and get just as much attention.

#14 Atarius Maximus OFFLINE  

Atarius Maximus

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,798 posts

Posted Mon Nov 1, 2010 10:32 PM

A minor update, there's now a pedestrian on every screen that you can run over. I used the code from batari's zombie chase game. It's kind of fun to run them over. :)

Attached Files

#15 flammingcowz OFFLINE  

flammingcowz

Moonsweeper

• 465 posts

Posted Mon Nov 1, 2010 10:48 PM

One of the best ideas for a homebrew i've seen!

and it's made in basic, even more incredible. good job

one thing i've noticed though is that speed changes as you change angle, not sure if that's fixable though

Edited by flammingcowz, Mon Nov 1, 2010 10:53 PM.

#16 Atarius Maximus OFFLINE  

Atarius Maximus

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,798 posts

Posted Tue Nov 2, 2010 12:05 PM

Another minor update, you can now shoot and kill the pedestrians after you exit your car. :)

Attached Files

#17 Gemintronic OFFLINE  

Gemintronic

• 8,816 posts

Posted Tue Nov 2, 2010 3:20 PM

How about using constants or the pseudo random number generator to have unique placement of peds for each screen?

#18 Atarius Maximus OFFLINE  

Atarius Maximus

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,798 posts

Posted Tue Nov 2, 2010 4:25 PM

How about using constants or the pseudo random number generator to have unique placement of peds for each screen?

Yep, I should be able to do that. I've had about 10 minutes of free time the past few days, these have been really quick and dirty updates. I'll definitely add some polish before this is all done. ;)

#19 jbaudrand OFFLINE  

jbaudrand

Space Invader

• 40 posts

Posted Wed Nov 3, 2010 5:18 AM

:/ please don't use BW/color switch, don't have it on 7800....

#20 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• 9,736 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Wed Nov 3, 2010 7:52 AM

:/ please don't use BW/color switch, don't have it on 7800....

Colour/BW is the pause button the 7800. Its possible to detect the 7800 in 2600 mode so all you need is a toggle operation on that switch.

#21 KevinMos3 OFFLINE  

KevinMos3

Stargunner

• 1,470 posts
  • Founder of the Timothy Dalton as Bond fan club

Posted Wed Nov 3, 2010 8:05 AM

This game has so much potential, I could squirt!

Awesome job so far good sir.

edit: I hope the people inside the buildings aren't hookers. They must be starving, with the way they latch on to you. I'm feeling a lot of love. ;)

Edited by KevinMos3, Wed Nov 3, 2010 8:32 AM.

#22 CurtisP ONLINE  

CurtisP

Chopper Commander

• 220 posts

Posted Sat Nov 6, 2010 9:39 PM

You should call it Grand Theft Atari.

#23 Godzilla OFFLINE  

Godzilla

Quadrunner

• 6,794 posts

Posted Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:00 PM

also made me think of this old atari 8 bit classic, http://www.atariarch...o.php?cat=20195

great idea, love to see where it goes...

#24 Dangus OFFLINE  

Dangus

Space Invader

• 11 posts

Posted Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:17 PM

If you can't think of some kind of way to present missions, you can always try speech synthesis (if that's possible, I know there's a speech synthesizer add-on for the Atari in the AA store.)

#25 KevinMos3 OFFLINE  

KevinMos3

Stargunner

• 1,470 posts
  • Founder of the Timothy Dalton as Bond fan club

Posted Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:17 AM

I know there's a speech synthesizer add-on for the Atari in the AA store.)

I *wish* there were a speech synthesizer add-on in the AA store. We've been waiting on more of those to be made for a VERY long time. Personally, I've been waiting for more than a year; others have been waiting much longer.

...unless you know something I don't?

Edited by KevinMos3, Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:19 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users