IGNORED

Jaguar Unreleased Games Thread

The_Laird

Just write 'Liard said so' next to them all. His dentist must have a hell of a job getting past all the shit coming out of his mouth to get to his teeth.

It'd probably of been a lot more 'helpful' if the list that's up on Page 1 of this thread listed just where the claims of said games being in development came from.

• Like 1

Just write 'Liard said so' next to them all. His dentist must have a hell of a job getting past all the shit coming out of his mouth to get to his teeth.

I'm just going to say this to get it out of the way: jokes about British dentistry are rather tired at this point.

• Like 1

I've made inital contact with an ex-EDGE jurnolist (among other magazines), so i'll try and find out where they got the information for various news reports from the Jaguar/3DO era (early EDGE days) and report back on any findings.

Thanks to the question i put to Rebellion via the RVG interview, at least i know it was'nt always direct from the game studios themselves.
:-)

Bit more info:Ok that issue of Edge that's often referenced as having Jag shots of Tomb Raider and swagman in:It was'nt actually an Edge preview per say, but a promotional supplement given away with Edge, which Atari paid for and Edge took some flak over, lol

As i've mentioned before Edge's information was pulled up by Darryl Still at the time, questioned by Rebellion years later and readers often wrote in questioning scores given to AVP, Crescent Galaxy and magazines later treatment of the Jaguar.

As for Swagman, Thunderhawk and Swagman?

C+VG's Tekno had Core's PR Manager Susie Hamilton talking about 32X versions (saying they would'nt just be port overs from MCD as you could'nt do that, technically anyway, but NOTHING said of ANY plans for Jaguar versions, hell they were'nt even sure what exact changes to make to 32X Thunderhawk, except 24-bit graphics, new, tougher missions etc.

Also mentioned were Core's future games inc:

'Fractual Racer-A polygon-generated 4 wheel drive vehicle racing challenge across fully rendered off road landscapes which Core aimed to beat Daytona USA as king of the racers! (only time i've ever heard this title mentioned) and 'Tomb Raiders' as C+VG refered to it, saying all they knew about it at that point was that it would be a 3D adventure staring:a guy, a girl a pyramid and some guns.

Both titles due on Saturn, along with Tee-Off on 32X (Golf Sim).

So, If Core's own PR Manager was'nt telling biggest UK multi-format magazine at that time of ANY planned Jaguar/Jaguar CD games planned, i kinda fuigure any such plans had long been abandoned at concept stage at best in a good few cases.It was all 32X/Saturn from there on in.

Jaguar simply not it seems, seen as a high priority.

Few Core Design quotes from Edge interview many years ago.Sheds light on just when Tomb Raider got started, issues waiting for hardware to catch-up to what they wanted to do:

Adrain Smith (operations manager at Core): 'we had this vision of a character in a cinematic enviroment, that was the inital concept of Tomb Raider.We had immense problems initally designing a system around the character that would let them move within a camera system'

Stuart Atkinson (Artist, animator and designer at Core):'We already had sketches and ideas about the game about a year before we even finished BC Racers (MCD).'

Adrain Smith said despite initally being a Saturn specific title (and game engine purpose built for it) Tomb Raider was harder to produce on Saturn than Playstation, as there was no use of the hardware as such;it was just shipping an awful lot of polygons around.In development you can find the lesser platform slows down the whole project-your working to it's limitations the whole time.

Sometime about 20 years ago we all were playing maybe AvP or perhaps Raiden etc or perhaps something on our 3do's or SNES/Genesis. (MK II perhaps?) It was an exciting time for gaming IMO. And the PSX and Saturn were still off in the distance.

And this song was big on the radio:

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 2

I'm a HUGE Soundgarden and Chris Cornell fan. I nearly orgasmed back in 05/06 when I first learned CC was to perform the next Bond Theme. Such an inspired decision and a great song too.

But seriously, BMFinger, SUnkown and DOTUSide are all great albums. Haven't given KingAnimal any real listening time yet though. Not too fond of band reprisals tbh...

Peter Molyneux talking to The One magazine concerning possible conversion of Magic Carpet to A1200:

'We're maybe going to do Magic Carpet for the A1200.On the PC Magic Carpet is a superb 3D game with texture-mapped graphics and gouraud shading....but it needs a super fast machine.On the Amiga though the landscapes wonh't look so nice.It'll probably be more like say, Virus-although every part of the actual game will be in there.

So, again, i've yet to see ANY proof Peter was considering doing a Jaguar version and looking at comments regarding A1200 version, i guess we get some sort of idea of how a Jaguar version would of turned out, had it ever been attempted.

While I don't know the specs of A1200 from the top of my head, it would probably be as close to PC version of MagicCarpet running in 640x480 as Wolfenstein is close to Doom 3.

Few yrs ago, I used to say that Jag couldn't do a proper MagicCarpet, but right now I actually believe it could be done. Have a voxel terrain and use OP/Blitter to render all the entities and most importantly, have one of the RISCs run the pathfinding / AI for the hundred entities flying over the world.

All we need is pay 3-4 guys fulltime for the duration of 2-3 years and it could be done.

I'm a HUGE Soundgarden and Chris Cornell fan. I nearly orgasmed back in 05/06 when I first learned CC was to perform the next Bond Theme. Such an inspired decision and a great song too.

But seriously, BMFinger, SUnkown and DOTUSide are all great albums. Haven't given KingAnimal any real listening time yet though. Not too fond of band reprisals tbh...

King Animal is fucking great man, what are you waiting for?

• Like 2

Lobotomy using their own engine for Saturn Quake was mentioned:few quotes from Ezra Dreisbach (Lobotomoy) on the Exhumed Engine on Saturn:

'A full 3D engine is a better match for the hardware on the Saturn than a strip engine like Doom'

'I did'nt get much use out of the VDP2.It's drawing the parallax sky and the weapons.The main benifit of this is that it frees up VDP1 Ram for other stuff.I would much rather have had the VDP2's Ram attached to the VDP1.I am using both CPU's 1 CPU draws walls, the other does everything else...the engine runs twice as fast in complicated areas using both CPU's'.

'The engine could probably be made 20% fasterjust with general tightening and more assembly.'

Man.... made a thread a couple years back on JSII how I would've loved to see Alone In the Dark on Jag CD. Figured if the FM Towns Marry could push it, so could the Jag (not knowing it was in the works previously).

Titles that interest me the most:

Alone in the Dark

Doom 2

AvP 2

Tomb Raider

Man.... made a thread a couple years back on JSII how I would've loved to see Alone In the Dark on Jag CD. Figured if the FM Towns Marry could push it, so could the Jag (not knowing it was in the works previously).

Titles that interest me the most:

Alone in the Dark

Doom 2

AvP 2

Tomb Raider

You do know that the original poster of the original 'information' in this thread is a notorious lying sack of shit, right... ?

• Like 1

I'm going to close this thread, since some of the titles listed are questionable, and the original topic starter is no longer a member. It would be ideal if someone could start a new list and include citations for any games listed. Even better would be scans and/or photos of documentation where applicable. I would be happy to pin such a thread as well.

..Al

• Like 6