Photo

Beginners' Guide to the High Score Club ("HSC")

10 replies to this topic

#1 therealbountybob OFFLINE  

therealbountybob

Quadrunner

• 5,280 posts
  • Ready for some Ramp Rage

Posted Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:17 PM

Welcome!

Firstly feel free to play games immediately. All abilities welcome, seriously we do have a wide spread of players (no names mentioned icon_wink.gif ) so there's always someone to compare scores with!

You can also take part in votes, suggest games that you’d like to play and any other ideas right from the off, don’t be shy!

We usually play a classic Atari 8-bit game every two weeks, sometimes we have bonus rounds or tournaments (where everyone disappears for no discernable reason icon_mrgreen.gif )

Screen shots are optional, but if you are one of the better players we all like to see them!

If you haven’t got an Atari then get one on ebay or somewhere but in the mean time you can use one of the many PC (or MAC) Atari emulators.

The easiest PC Atari emulator to get started on is Altirra, just follow this link (right click on it, then select open in new window) and 1 page down in the 'Downloads' section click on "Altirra version 2.2 binary". Then run/extract the zip file to an Altirra folder on your hard drive. (e.g. C:\altirra)

To run Altirra open the Altirra folder in 'My Computer' and double click on the altirra.exe application.

If you want to create a desktop shortcut icon then click on the altirra icon once, then click on 'File' and select 'Create Shortcut'. Then drag the newly created shortcut (it has a little arrrow on the icon) to your PC's desktop.

Altirra users please set the following:
'View' 'Overscan Mode' 'Normal'
'Input' 'Input Mappings' 'Arrow Keys - Joystick (port 1)'
'System' 'Firmware' 'default' (works for most games)

Download games into the same folder, there are many good sites for games such as Atarimania, Fandal, Atarionline.pl, Homesoft, VJetnam. In the HSC there are links posted to the current game. Then from Altirra's File menu select 'Boot Image' and select the game and you should be up and running. (If a window showing 'Select Cartridge Mapper' appears, click on the first one in the list and then click OK)

There's no commitment to play every game but we’re always glad to have regulars. Side discussions often develop so it sometimes gets a little crazy around here!

If you need any help whatsoever please post or contact me (or Goochman) directly.

And the number one rule is to Have fun!

#2 mimo OFFLINE  

mimo

Preppie!

• 6,778 posts
  • It's easy living in a bubble

Posted Wed Dec 1, 2010 7:06 AM

nice post trbb,
come on, join in, it's fun honest

#3 sloopy OFFLINE  

sloopy

River Patroller

• 2,395 posts
  • lookin for bits, i like bits...

Posted Wed Dec 1, 2010 7:42 AM

he my recruit uses real hardware, cause thats how i roll... :')

p.s. did you just pin this bob?
sloopy.

#4 therealbountybob OFFLINE  

therealbountybob

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,280 posts

Posted Wed Dec 1, 2010 7:56 AM

he my recruit uses real hardware, cause thats how i roll... :')

p.s. did you just pin this bob?
sloopy.

yes I went on a pinning spree - this guide was a new thing though, if anyone has any suggestions or improvements or wants to detail how they go about things please post. Perhaps a simple guide to purchasing a real atari, using APE etc...

#5 sloopy OFFLINE  

sloopy

River Patroller

• 2,395 posts
  • lookin for bits, i like bits...

Posted Wed Dec 1, 2010 8:05 AM

also mention Atari800, for those of use who use an OS that doesnt hail from the left coast of the US...

on Debian, and Ubuntu this can be installed in a shell with:
sudo apt-get install atari800

also, default is full screen mode, F9 quits

sloopy.

Edited by sloopy, Wed Dec 1, 2010 8:10 AM.

#6 ProWizard OFFLINE  

ProWizard

River Patroller

• 3,272 posts
  • MyIDE 2 Conversions in Progress!

Posted Sun Dec 5, 2010 3:33 AM

Yeah count me in!

I think it is real fun. I play on real Atari 8bit PAL computer.

I hope some team captain will invite me for his/her(?) team!

You can contact me through messenger on this forum!

Greetz
Marius

#7 Mister VCS OFFLINE  

Mister VCS

Stargunner

• 1,188 posts

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:54 AM

50 percent of the HSC Munich @work...
(picture taken by Mister VCS)

HSC-Munich 14.4.11.jpg

Edited by Mister VCS, Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:56 AM.

#8 therealbountybob OFFLINE  

therealbountybob

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,280 posts

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:40 AM

It might help potential new players, especially emulator users, to know how to setup controllers/joysticks; so please post here what you use - not a general hardware list - just how to get setup to play (PC - LINUX - MAC)

For me I have several Ataris, 1050 drives and tons of real floppies. I use APE and SIO2USB (www.atarimax.com) to download games from the web to real disks. As well as a few joysticks getting a set of paddles (fairly cheap from ebay) and maybe even a Trak-Ball, ST-Mouse ( www.st-freakz.co.uk ) or even a light-gun are also good fun to use :)

For emulation I use altirra (or atari800win+4.0) on a Windows XP machine (I run altirra on Win7 too). I use a normal atari joystick with an adaptor and cable I assembled. The adaptor is from the 25 pin parallel port on the (old) PC to a cat-5 cable to a 9-pin joystick port. The PPJOY driver makes this to work nicely PPJoy Link Other Link the 2nd link says this works on Win7 but I'm not sure about the adaptor cable as it would be via a USB port?....

Other links that may be useful:
http://www.husak.com...ck-usb-adapter/
Joystick interface: Atari (or compatible/C64/Amiga), Sega master system, Genesis 3,& 6-button,
Sega multi-tap to PC's USB.

http://www.atariage...._1#entry2299333

http://www.atariage...._1#entry1918938

http://www.atariage...._1#entry1845180

http://www.atariage...._1#entry1479107

This already sounds too complex so please try and keep things simple - if anyone wants any help just post - we have a few hardware guys who might even make a cable up for you :)

#9 Dryerlint OFFLINE  

Dryerlint

Space Invader

• 18 posts

Posted Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:32 PM

I use Atari800win plus 4.0. Very fun with a large widescreen plasma monitor. My joystick is an 8 button Saitek P220. I have been a member here for 10 years so I've had a lot worse setups over the years !!! :skull:

Edited by therealbountybob, Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:59 AM.
added link!

#10 therealbountybob OFFLINE  

therealbountybob

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,280 posts

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:21 AM

For anyone looking to get a controller (wash my mouth out), I mean joystick working, this thread http://www.atariage....at-controllers/ might be worth a read too ;)

#11 zylon OFFLINE  

zylon

River Patroller

• 4,838 posts
  • 5200 HSC Mod

Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013 6:42 PM

I use the Atarimax USB flash programmer cart setup with my 600xl and extra RAM module.Using the included software, you just download ROM's and drag them into your menu. :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users