IGNORED

Pizza Planet Arcade

almightytodd

post-12574-12897435884_thumb.jpg

The Pizza Planet arcade at Walt Disney World's Hollywood Studios theme park.

post-12574-128974368392_thumb.jpg

Ah, the classics...

post-12574-128974379828_thumb.jpg

Here's a switch; games that first appear on home consoles "ported" to arcade versions. Other things to note; flat-screen video and built-in camera to make "you" part of the game.

post-12574-128974403957_thumb.jpg

This looks like the latest thing. I haven't seen anyone actually play it though.

post-12574-12897440984_thumb.jpg

Another game with a flat-screen and camera. Notice the portrait-orientation; a classic technique for the "arcade-only" experience that you can't get at home. Classic arcade games that used this technique include Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, Galaxians, and Pac Man. The earliest example I'm aware of is Atari's Fire Truck from 1978.

Videogaming is still an important part of the entertainment mix for Disney parks and resorts, ever since the videogame "Starcade" appeared at Disneyland in the mid-70's. There's also an arcade at the exit of Space Mountain at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom park. There's an entire branch of I.T. devoted to the operation of Disney videogame arcades. Most of the resort hotels have arcades that use rechargable magnetic strip cards as payment.

I'm kind of an arcade enthusiast. Kind of REALLY an arcade enthusiast...or any commercial machine at all... I digress. I went to Disney in February. I was probably the most excited to get to the Pizza Planet once I found out one in real life existed. Saddly, there was no rocket ship shared claw machine. After a small investment, we got the last green Toy Story alien in the arcade out of a claw machine. It seemed only fitting.

Video of that, and a walk around:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=oIQvI31GgCw

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

No classic cabs...

Don't despair, in downtown Disney, there's a building called "Disney quest", the top floor, and miscellaneous other corners are devoted to classic cabinets. Free to play once you're in. They replaced the coin hoppers with buttons, push & play:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=m8XrOT3Ons4

While I'm linking, the only other video I have up from the trip at the moment, downtown Disney's Lego Land has a virtual lego builder. It seems fit since this is a tech-ish forum to add this link. You hold out a box from the shelf in front of a camera. Below the camera is a screen with the video feed. A computer identified what box you have, and builds the finished project on the box you're holding on the screen. Even better, it finds your hand, and you can move the Legos!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UqErbeMESwk

One of the best weeks of my life!

(Ps, I don't want to come off sounding like pestering spam so I won't bring this up again, but if you have a Youtube account, subscribing to me would be greatly appreciated, but not necessary)

Edited by Silntdoogood

Don't despair, in downtown Disney, there's a building called "Disney quest", the top floor, and miscellaneous other corners are devoted to classic cabinets. Free to play once you're in. They replaced the coin hoppers with buttons, push & play:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=m8XrOT3Ons4

OMFG!!!! :lust: :lust: :lust: :lust: :lust: :lust: :lust: :lust:

I had no idea such a place still exsisted! Right now a slow tear is rolling down my cheek, that was beautiful. The only thing missing was a huge crowd of people :sad: Hopefully it gets respect from the kids of today, man that was awesome. I am planning a trip when my daughter is a little older, hope they keep it around!

Yeah, as someone who has been to DisneyQuest (had an annual pass once to the place) the admission pays for itself. The machines do get banged on a lot, but the blacklighting, 80s style music, and generally-crowded feeling of the old arcade's there.

Also, if you live in this area and like going there.. the price of the annual pass pays for itself (think it's the same as three single day admissions).

Edited by NightSprinter

The machines do get banged on a lot, but the blacklighting, 80s style music, and generally-crowded feeling of the old arcade's there.

I don't know if "banged on" does justice. They look as though they are respected, there was only one machine that didn't work out of what seemed like close to 300. They all look like they are in relatively good condition for getting such strong use. Then again, low lighting, blacklights, etc... probably hid flaws. That and pure adrenaline.

I missed out on the "crowded feeling". I was there during the winter. My friends and I decided to work from the top of the building (arcade) down, while everyone else started from the bottom up. We got in within minutes after it opened. That being said, we had the floor to ourselves for a while. Even when the full "crowd" came in, we were there outside of vacation season in winter, during the first time it snowed in southern Florida in something like 26 years.

So...many...rounds of Ski-Ball!

I'm trying desperately to not make this a tangent:

Don't despair..."Disney quest"...

...I am planning a trip when my daughter is a little older, hope they keep it around!

I can't imagine they won't. Just disappointing there wasn't a Kung-Fu machine. It may not be Atari, but it's the best cab ever made.

I'll see if I can find the video (and the permission of the people in it to put it online)... If/when you do go, I highly, highly recommend getting in the Toy Story blaster ship things. In the video at 2:40 I pan over them. Towards the one side of the floor, it turns into a balcony sort of thing that over looks them. You sit in these space ships, drive around the arena, run over "asteroids" (Nerf style dodge balls that you pick up from inside and load into the cannon on the passenger side) and shoot them at other people. When hit, the ship stops responding to controls, and momentary spins in a circle. So much friggan fun!

they were supposed to build more disney quests but decided not to after the chicago branch failed.

damn you chicago, why do you ruin everything...

As someone who had gone to Disney Quest in Chicago, I must say I was a little surprised when it was closed. The place seemed clean, full of people (but not jammed full, thankfully), and had lots of fun stuff to do. I, too, wish there were more Disney Quest locations.

Not bad, for a current arcade. The only thing I hate about arcades these days (besides the lack of real games replaced by *gasp* redemtion machines) is how damn bright they are. I miss the dim light arcade atmosphere, you just don't see it anymore.

One day I will have a house. In this house, there will be a large basement. In this basement I will have my pinball machines, arcade cabs, complete with dim lighting and 80's music pouring out of speakers mounted to the wall. I'm thinking I'd also like to get the authentic arcade-style carpeting that glows under a blacklight (stuff that's supposed to glow, of course, not carpet that just has crap spilled on it :))

It's too bad there aren't too many arcades like that left.

I recall asking about the light issue at arcades a while back, not sure if it was here, and was told there were several reasons for the change. One was due to the changing group of people coming in to play the games -- adults want it brighter. Another was due to saftey issues -- making sure no one is cheating, no one is being attached, etc. And another was to help shake off the negative images associated with arcades from the old days. You used to hear people complain that they were dark, seedy, unsafe places, that just catered to punk kids and problem teenagers. Now they are trying to go for a more 'family focused' image.