IGNORED

Help with a problem - Colors are being displayed wrong

Akito01

I hope someone out there can help me with a strange problem. I should say that this seems unrelated to my recent controller mods, as nothing I've been working on involved opening up the console itself, and the same problems come up with only the original controller plugged in.

While testing out my modded Genesis controller, I plugged in Beauty And The Best, and was puzzled by the bright pink sky. No matter how I reset the game, or reinserted the cartridge, it still looked wrong. The color balance in general seemed off in the game as well, as it was hard to identify my guy against the color of the building, and there were a number of times that the screen seemed to flash bright and dark.

I experienced something similar with Bump N Jump, where the colors for the enemy cars were not what they normally should be, and there was still a significant amount of random screen flashing from time to time (not constant, but fairly frequent).

Even with games that displayed the colors correctly there were incidents of screen flashing, and there seem to be more interference patters on the screen than usual. I'm used to a bit of ghosting with the composite video mod I use, but this is different. Booting up games seem slightly less reliable than usual as well.

Is this something simple that can be fixed, or are my suspicions correct that something more dire is going on with the machine internally? It would be a bummer to replace the machine, but given how little I paid for it, I can't complain too much. Still, if there is a method of repair, or at least a method to diagnose the nature of the problem more correctly, I would be eager to hear anyone's feedback.

Edited by Akito01

Speaking of simple fixes, turns out the only problem was that the ground wire I was using for the composite video circuit had come loose. Putting that back in place solved the problem entirely. I wish I could get as clean and bright a signal as when I was pressing it down with my finger though.

solder may be the solution.

I will say that it might be worth re-soldering, because obviously it was soldered in the first place, but the quality of the connection may not be as good as it could be. I basically just put it back the way it was, but now that I'm thinking about it, I can think of one or two things I can try that might make for an improvement.