IGNORED

Dave Munsie

dmunsie

Hi IceCold!

Yah, I thought I lost some brain cells since the 8bit days. The Rythimizer is my 1st attempt at a drum machine on the 8 bit. Sorry for getting the name wrong. If anyone can locate "Alan Reeve" perhaps he still has a copy of the drum machine I did for them, with the graphics. !@#$, I hope I can find the source to that somewhere. Funny as hell and freaky looking too.  :)

Okay, i'll be trying to locate him. I really want to see it now! :P .

BTW - you may just be the reason I end up getting an ST, especially if you finish Choplifter.

IceCold, not to step on Dave's toes, but you do realize that there are several good Choplifter clones already on the ST, and IIRC, even Sega's reprogrammed arcade version, which is very good (at least on the SMS-I still need choplifter for the ST, but I have seen it listed). :)

IceCold, not to step on Dave's toes, but you do realize that there are several good Choplifter clones already on the ST, and IIRC, even Sega's reprogrammed arcade version, which is very good (at least on the SMS-I still need choplifter for the ST, but I have seen it listed). :)

Yes, BUT, all his other games look cool too.

I didn't mean I would get one JUST for Choplifter, just that I would also like to get Choplifter if I get a ST. I've been considering getting one for awhile, and with all these good games he has made, it's starting to push me over the edge, and really want one. 8)

Sorry for the confusion.

Dave's games definately look good (and the few I've played are good), but there are THOUSANDS of fantastic games and you should have no trouble wanting an ST even if Dave's games didn't exist! Just click on the Little Green Desktop link under ST links and check out some screen shots of TONS of great games! 8)

Dave's games definately look good (and the few I've played are good), but there are THOUSANDS of fantastic games and you should have no trouble wanting an ST even if Dave's games didn't exist! Just click on the Little Green Desktop link under ST links and check out some screen shots of TONS of great games! 8)

Yeah, but what really caught my eye is his Berzerk clone. Berzerk is my favorite classic game, so to see it on the ST :love: .

I really should check out screenshots of the other games too, and play some on an emulator.

Do ST's have Composite video output? I would probably like to put an ST at my computer desk and use the TV tuner card on my computer, so I could use the st on my VGA monitor :love: .

How much do ST's usually cost anyways? I never really followed the prices they go for.

Do ST's have Composite video output?  I would probably like to put an ST at my computer desk and use the TV tuner card on my computer, so I could use the st on my VGA monitor  :love: .

ST has composite and rgb out. But not all models, these one which has not RF modulator has not composite only rgb, so be carefull. Unfortunately color modes are not possible to watch on ordinary VGA monitor, you must have mulstisync one.

Dang! How did I miss this post?!

Dave! How the heck are ya? Always wondered what became of you. I remember the good ol' ST days with some great fondness. I even remember some E-Mail correspondance with you back in the day about GFA coding -- I seem to recall back when I was known as DragonLord or Diehl on the 'net, that I'd E-Mailed you a copy of a routine I did in GFA that swapped two colour pallettes while scrolling an image using those palletes in simulated 32-colours, all at 30FPS. That was fun. :-)

It's great to see you come back to the fold, after a fashion. You'd done some remarkable stuff back in the day, and were in no small part inspirational in my own GFA coding efforts to turn out some decent stuff. (The "decent stuff" part didn't happen 'til I'd gotten around to ordering the SpriteWorks GFA libraries, and even then I left the ST scene before I'd manage to finish anything, sadly)

Welcome back! Good to have ya. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi IceCold!

Thanks for the kind words, but yes there are a zillion reasons to get an Atari ST computer! Remember, my earlier games weren't meant to exploit my skills as a game coder, but rather how easy it was to design games in GFA Basic using my game design engine. :) There's really only 3 games on the ST that I really had the time to take serious, those were "Frantick", "SquareOff" and "Choplifter 95". I just played Frantick again, man those higher levels are intense. :)

Hi Mindfield!

"I seem to recall back when I was known as DragonLord or Diehl on the 'net, that I'd E-Mailed you a copy of a routine I did in GFA that swapped two colour pallettes while scrolling an image using those palletes in simulated 32-colours, all at 30FPS. That was fun."

Wow, I recall seeing that! Wild stuff! I did end up adding support in my game shell for 32 colors by dividing the vertical screen so you could have 16 colors on top and another 16 on bottom. :) Thank you for the kind words, it's really cool to hear about users who enjoyed my earlier efforts. Nice to hear from you! Take Care.

Hello (Anyone Interested),

Been busy working on the music stuff (yes I'm working on a cd and also have my own band, that's ANOTHER TOPIC!! LOL!) The good news is my Mega STe development machine is running fine. Looked at some of the Choplifter Code, things are starting to come back. I plan on making full public domain versions of all of my software, I've had lots of requests for full versions of Square Off and Frantick so I'm going to try and get those done this week. I also plan on releasing a playable demo of my Choplifter

clone sometime in the next 1-2 weeks. Will check back soon... thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

DAve, would you mind if I attempted to create a version of Frantick with Gamemaker? Note that I say 'attempt'. :D

And no, I would not charge for it. And yes, I would make sure you get credit. :) That is if I attempt to create it successfully. :)

Im New to the ST world but right off the bat I own 2 ST's (1040STf & 520STfm) and its been great!

I have heard of you in the 8-bit world, and I am very amazed about your work! and just wanted to drop by and say hello!

Take care and keep on computing like its 1982!

I KNOW I DO!

• 2 months later...
  • 12 years later...

If a thread has ever deserved a long overdue bump, it's this one! Dave, please come back and repost those Choplifter images, they are now gone. Did you ever finish the game? Anyway, you are one of my PD/Shareware idols. Your ST games were legendary!

I'm finally starting to play them again, now that I have a Mega STE hooked up to an Ultrasatan and a 20" PVM. Kid Kong, Frogger, Berzerk. Wow, just wow! I'm having trouble finding ST Invaders. Hope to find it shortly.

• Like 2

Use JayMSA on your ST and either create a floppy or save to a hard drive.

Download!

Thanks, great program. The only thing I really don't like about it though is that when it saves to HD, all the original file dates are changed to the current date. I know 99% won't care about something like this, but my nitpicking is fanatical when it comes to dates.

• 4 years later...

I know that Dave hasn't logged on here since June 25, 2004, but here's something that will hopefully find its way to him anyway somehow. I just made this little Twitch stream where I played several of his games on my Mega STE with Ultrasatan. Dave was my PD/Shareware idol in the early to mid 90's. I think that I can truly speak for all of us by saying thank you for all of the incredible memories that you have given us. You are truly the King of ST PD/Shareware, and an inspiration to us all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2002 at 10:08 AM, dmunsie said:

Hello Everyone!

(Sorry for the egotistical subject line, but I wanted to make it easy to search for.)

First off, thank you to Atari Age for putting up this wonderful forum! It's a blast to take a look at the past and present Atari scene!

I have to admit my Atari ST programming years were some of the most enjoyable of my life. I coded a few games for the cover disk of the now defunct UK magazine, ST Review. I also did a monthly article for them about the US Atari scene.

During that period I made alot of "fans" from all over the USA/UK who enjoyed my clones and original projects. As some of you know the last few years of my Atari ST life was filled with highs and lows, I'd rather not talk about the lows, because I really had alot of fun coding games using GFA Basic and a custom 68000 Sprite engine that I wrote. I was amazed how fast I could get a simple 2D game up and running. I coded games/clones like Berzerk and Deluxe Invaders in a matter of hours. Games like Frantick and Square Off took alot longer ofcourse. :) I never had that much time to program believe it or not, that's why I never wrote anything other than quick little 2D twitch games. :)

Here's some of the games I coded for the ST/STe:

Kid GP

Bugs!

Asteroidia

Frantick! (Coded during a very hectic time of my life.)

Square Off (A nice 2 player Tetris clone!)

Berzerk (I like this conversion!)

Deluxe Invaders

ST Invaders

Kid Kong (Donkey Kong Clone) If you can find it, get the one with the original "Mario" graphics. :)

Evader

Frogger

A few years back I was told by one of the UK PD supply houses that my "Best Of Dave Munsie volume 1" disk was one of the most popular public domain disks! That was fun to hear about.

I wish I could have finished my Choplifter clone/update. That was the last game I was going to write for the STe. It had amazing parallax horizontal scrolling, excellent animation on the chopper, little guys running around waving for help, etc. Everyone I showed it to agreed it blew everything else I did out the door. The overall game shell was about 50% complete when one of those "low" points happened. Long story short, I moved to Texas, started coding for the PC and never looked back. (With 3 kids and a wife..well, you know how it goes..)

It saddens me when I read a newsgroup message or a post somewhere where someone says "Dave Munsie ripped me off and never sent me my registration code." I'm sure during my move to Texas I lost some paper work on the few registrations I recieved, alas some users never did get their code. Shortly after my move I released ALL of my games as FREEWARE. I made a public announcement at the time (I think through LAPD?!?) announcing this.

As many other Atari shareware authors can tell you, the Atari shareware scene never materialized. I appreciate those that did send in their registration for my games but you could count the number of registrations I recieved on 7 hands. :)

I still have my complete Mega STe development kit. Once in a while I'll get it out and play some of my old games. If all of my games are not floating around in the PUBLIC DOMAIN please let me know and at some point I'll try to zip them up and post them somewhere?!?!

I realize this is the ST section, but here's a bit of 8-bit history. I coded several Atari 8 bit titles, MunsiePede 1 & 2, a drum machine called AT1, Floor Walker and a few others not even worth mentioning. :)

ReeveSoft marketed a few projects of mine on the 8 bit including a simple little game called "Evader Construction Kit" I think? If you want something VERY funny, try to locate an updated drum machine I wrote for ReeveSoft called "The Rythmizer" I could be wrong about the name though, jeesh I'm not even 40 and my brain is going. :) This thing was hilarious to watch. I digitized pictures of myself hitting EACH drum. Then when you played back a sequence, it looked like I was actually jamming on the drum set! This was unheard of on the Atari 8 bit at the time. I remember when it was first released at a Chicago Atari user's group. The place went wild when they saw me on the TV jamming! :)

Fast forward to 2002. I'm an independent consultant/programmer specializing in multimedia software on the PC. In my spare time I'm also a musician working on my indie music cd which I plan to release in 2003.

Well, that's more than enough for my first post. :) If anyone has any questions or comments, please reply to this thread. I plan to revisit this thread every once in a while. Take Care!

I told you about that disk! Hey Dave!!! 
I have been looking for you on Twitter to  do an interview for our Into The Vertical Blank Podcast.