IGNORED

Other good oldschool computers?

lastkill3r

ZX80 and ZX81 owned both (not because for the love of the machines though), horrible useless computers.

Spectrum, always hated that useless machine, why...the Brits could have been happy with the awesome C64, but no...Spectrum owners buy cheap games for GBP 1.99 or 2.99 ON TAPE when the rest of the world was using FDDs. Go figure

Edited by high voltage

ZX80 and ZX81 owned both (not because for the love of the machines though), horrible useless computers.

Spectrum, always hated that useless machine, why...the Brits could have been happy with the awesome C64, but no...Spectrum owners buy cheap games for GBP 1.99 or 2.99 ON TAPE when the rest of the world was using FDDs. Go figure

Not all of us!!

Atari 400+48K+1050 was pretty cool when mates had the zx81 and if they were lucky a vic 20

Atari 800XL+1050 when mates progressed to a spectrum, hated the C64 though :) just bought one 20 years later :P

Its simple. The Spectrum was a hell of alot cheaper and so were games yet it played exactly the same games and often did them better too.

I owned a Spectrum because it was affordable firstly and secondly because when I played on a C64 I didn't like its horrible muddy graphics.

I have never seen a Thomson before but alot of those screenshots look very Spectrum-like. They even seem to have the same font and stuff on some of them. Seems from looking on Wiki though that it was 6809 based with 32k of Ram.

The Thomson is sort of the French equivalent of the BBC Computers.

They were the school computers for several years.

The older models had 16 colors. Newer models could display 16 colors from a palette of 4096 with a 320x200 resolution.

The MO6 and MO8 (and MO9?) had the updated graphics.

They were really good 8 bit machines but expect all software to be in French.

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

I have a ZX Spectrum that was given to me last year but I haven't really been able to play any games because I don't have a joystick. Seems to have a strange joystick port and I don't know where to find one. Ebay I suppose.

Is it a Timex model then? As all the Sinclair ones either need an interface or use Sinclair joysticks which have an Atari type D-plug but all games can be played on keys anyway.

I have a ZX Spectrum that was given to me last year but I haven't really been able to play any games because I don't have a joystick. Seems to have a strange joystick port and I don't know where to find one. Ebay I suppose.

Spectrum haven't got controller port xD you must purchase an adapter ;D Give us photo of your Spectrum and we help you!

Spectrum haven't got controller port xD you must purchase an adapter ;D Give us photo of your Spectrum and we help you!

Thanks, here's a pic below. Do I need something like this: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3704558887641?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=370455888764&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

post-2493-129088070333_thumb.jpg

Ahh... the 48k... what a wonderfull machine!

Exactly, thing on auction is exactly what you need! hope you like the SpecTre!

You have great deal! 10 USD for Interface 2? No way, it's too cool! ;D

Edited by lastkill3r

Thanks, here's a pic below. Do I need something like this: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3704558887641?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=370455888764&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Ahh right the original 48k Spectrum. You need a joystick interface then yes or you can use the keyboard to play games.

There are a few types you can use the most common being a Kempston interface which allows you to use Atari joysticks. The one in that auction is the now VERY rare Interface 2 which not only allows you to use 2 joysticks but also the equally rare range of Spectrum ROM cartridges. The Interface 2 / Spectrum joysticks have the Atari style D-plug but a different pin-out that corresponds to the number keys on the Spectrum keyboard. I2 joysticks are not hard to find as the 128k Spectrums used these too. The most notable models were made by Cheetah and Quickshot. You can also buy little plugs that allow you to use any Atari style stick or pad (I use one on my +3 to play with 7800 pads and CX-40).

Ahh right the original 48k Spectrum. You need a joystick interface then yes or you can use the keyboard to play games.

There are a few types you can use the most common being a Kempston interface which allows you to use Atari joysticks. The one in that auction is the now VERY rare Interface 2 which not only allows you to use 2 joysticks but also the equally rare range of Spectrum ROM cartridges. The Interface 2 / Spectrum joysticks have the Atari style D-plug but a different pin-out that corresponds to the number keys on the Spectrum keyboard. I2 joysticks are not hard to find as the 128k Spectrums used these too. The most notable models were made by Cheetah and Quickshot. You can also buy little plugs that allow you to use any Atari style stick or pad (I use one on my +3 to play with 7800 pads and CX-40).

Seriously I2 don't use normal joysticks?

Its simple. The Spectrum was a hell of alot cheaper and so were games yet it played exactly the same games and often did them better too.

I owned a Spectrum because it was affordable firstly and secondly because when I played on a C64 I didn't like its horrible muddy graphics.

I know, Brits preferred 'bleeding' graphics and grating sound (pulling out your own toenails sounds almost better than sound on a Spectrum. Actually, it's almost more fun pulling out your own toenails than playing on Speccy).

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

high voltage shut up hater. We don't say you that your magnificent C-64 is crap (good computer, same rating as Speccy for me), but we can. Maybe Brits (or everyone european) is more clever than you? And you say at the brits like they are worse than you, nazi. Everyone will like what he like and really, REALLY we don't want to know how do you hate the Speccy. Make another thread or site like spectrumsucks.us, but please, PLEASE don't spam here, this is thread about good oldschool computers. You must learn tolerance.

I know, Brits preferred 'bleeding' graphics and grating sound (pulling out your own toenails sounds almost better than sound on a Spectrum. Actually, it's almost more fun pulling out your own toenails than playing on Speccy).

Yeah, you're right, the Spectrum was so horrible that's why the Iron Curtain countries chose it as the one to copy instead of the C64 or any of the "better" computers that they could have chosen from. There were dozens of companies making Spectrum clones and they still were at least up until a few years ago. I'm not sure if anyone still makes them now. The Soviet era Spectrum clones have even been starting to show up on ebay in the last few years.

Edited by OldAtarian