I haven't updated anything in awhile, so I thought I'd post some progress on a game I'm working. I've named it "Redhsirts" in honor of those Sci-Fi Kamikazes of legend, who would beam down to hostile worlds and meet their inevitable doom.
The basic idea is that a Captain Kirk-type sends his hapless "Away Team" down to various planets to accomplish missions. The planets are 6x6 grids randomly generated at the start of each level, with the mission objectives randomly placed on the grid. The mission objectives will vary from level to level, including various task such as locating downed shuttle crafts (as in this one-level demo), killing certain badguys, rescuing fellow crewmen, etc.
I settled on a display routines that allows for:
(2) 30hz multi-colored player1's for characters
(1) 30hz player0 for multipurpose (scenery, traps, effect)
(2) 15hz player0's for laser fire
There is still a ton of stuff planned for this game. The idea I'm striving for is a game that allows you to earn tons of bonus points for doing exceptionally brave/stupid things. But for now, this demo is just to test the basic engine with a few different kinds of randomly appearing baddies. Here are the controls:
- Start game from title screen
- Click to pass Mission and Lives Remaining screens
- Hold to aim your laser, release to fire
Joystick(or arrow keys in EMU):
- Hold in any direction to move
- Tap in any direction to perform a defensive roll (cannot be hurt by laser fire while doing this)
- Tap or hold while rolling to fire
Many thanks to Rev_Eng for his wonderful title screen minikernel!
Edited by jrok, Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:42 PM.