IGNORED

What ColecoVision Homebrews Would You Like to See Next?

ColecoFan1981

What ColecoVision homebrews would you like to see next?

My hot sheet:

Fax (Exidy, 1983)

TX-1 (Tatsumi, 1983 - was manufactured and/or marketed under license on the Eastern Hemisphere outside of Japan by Taito, and on the Western Hemisphere by Namco and Atari)

Crossbow (Exidy, 1983)

Change Lanes (Taito, 1983)

Munch Mobile (SNK/Stern, 1982)

Mappy (Namco/Bally-Midway, 1983)

Astron Belt (Sega/Bally-Midway, 1983)

Zoar (Nihon Bussan/Tago Electronics, 1982)

Monaco GP (Sega, 1979)

For all those of you who may have missed what I suggested over the past year, here are some of my older submissions again:

Tomy Tutor collection:

Traffic Jam (1982)

Car-azy Racer (1983, game design by Wordwright)

Cave Crawlers (1982)

Deep Six (1982)

Unreleased ColecoVision launch titles:

Side Trak (Exidy, 1979)

Spectar (Exidy, 1980)

Rip Cord (Exidy, 1979) (do the black & white arcade graphics suggest why Coleco chose to drop this title?)

Mr. Turtle (1982)

Skiing (original Coleco 1982 release)

Chess Challenger (Fidelity Electronics, 1977)

Tunnels & Trolls (Flying Buffalo, 1975) (only title screen exists)

Horse Racing (Fidelity Electronics, 1975)

Smurf: Play & Learn (Peyo, 1982)

Smurfette's Birthday (Peyo, 1982)

Head-to-Head Baseball (later released as Super Action Baseball)

Head-to-Head Football (later released as Super Action Football)

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981

I'd like to see someone write Death Race: true to the original with b/w graphics. Maybe even put an updated version on there as well.

Don't we have that already? Or is it the purple that you don't like?

???? Death Race has not been ported to the CV. I know that someone was working on one but I need one in cartridge format...

In any event, I would favor seeing black and white Death Race true to the original and nothing fancied up.

I would rather prefer a more original game, or maybe something more ambicious like using pseudo-3D... like some arcade games made after 1983. But if you insist to pick up one in your list, one of the vaporware titles by Coleco is practicaly a safe bet because we all wanted these games shown in the Coleco silver catalog that came with the game system... well, at least those who grew up with ColecoVision.

After playing the arcade versions of Exidy games, I do understand why they didn't go on with Rip Cord. I'm sure Side Trak is possible for the ColecoVision and I've seen already 2 different Coleco projects of Side Trak. I've seen also the first draft of Skiing and Horse Racing, so you might see them in the future. I know that a chess game is not very popular but at least 2 programmers have their ideas to make a chess game for the ColecoVision. Well, maybe you should try one of the other games... like Smurfette's Birthday which is selecting your favorite Smurf character to play a treasure hunt game (because it was originaly named Papa Smurf's Treasure Hunt), or Tunnels and Trolls (whatever the way you want to implement it).

It's very rare to play a 2-players game for the ColecoVision, it's usually turn-based games. That's why a game like Wizard of Wor is interesting, but it's already taken. There is also Gauntlet which can be a 1 or 2 players game. If done well enough, it can even be used for tournaments in gaming expo events.

Are you sure you'll not prefer to do a more original game project?

I would rather prefer a more original game, or maybe something more ambicious like using pseudo-3D... like some arcade games made after 1983. But if you insist to pick up one in your list, one of the vaporware titles by Coleco is practicaly a safe bet because we all wanted these games shown in the Coleco silver catalog that came with the game system... well, at least those who grew up with ColecoVision.

I echo your sentiments. I would prefer to see an original title, rather than a port -- I would also consider vapor ware as being preferrable over a port. Ports to older consoles are silly to me on some fundamental level. Some people may enjoy the challenge of translating a game to limited hardware, but in todays age, its much more enjoyable to play the original arcade game rather than a facsimile. If you are going to translate a pre-existing title to the Colecovision, I'd say do it in a manner that pretends its sequel: add modes and other neat game play elements that elevates it over its original.

Not that I'm going to bitch and moan if you port a rare game over ot the Colecovision (Penguin Land, is a great example)... But, I think it would be more fun to have something original, or retrofitting a modern title. Left4Dead on the Colecovision as a top-down zombie survival game would be great, in the same way the Halo for 2600 is magnificent.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Same here.

Two of them I want to create some day: I've got a T&T license, and I want to make a chess game. Maybe someone else will write a chess game for the ColecoVision first or at the same time, then we can make them play against each other.

It's very rare to play a 2-players game for the ColecoVision, it's usually turn-based games.

Well, it's hard to make good 2-player games and at the same time keeping the game interesting for a single player, too. One limitation is that all the action has to fit on one screen, which IMO is hard. E.g. in my naval combat game simultanous two-player mode would be easy to add, were it not for the problem of the player's ships being so far apart that they don't fit on the same screen.

Nevertheless sometimes it is possible to create a good simultanous two-player mode, e.g. in Cye (http://colecovision.eu/ColecoVision/games/Cye.shtml).

Philipp

I'm not sure how you would handle Mr. Turtle or Smurf Play & Learn, given that we know so very little about how these games would be played...besides the latter game using arithmetic lessons.

While the dev people who first imagined the gameplay of Mr Turtle must have had something simple in mind, I've always envisioned Mr Turtle as a sort of Metroid clone, with expansive exploration, and collecting stuff that increases the abilities of the player's character. But that's just me. :P

I think TX-1 would be an interesting project, since I only know of two 3D racing games on the CV (Turbo and Pitstop), and both of them don't have a very realistic road display. I would be willing to help out if anyone's interested in formulas for correctly displaying the moving road (in fact, the formulas used in TX-1 don't look really correct, and they are even worse than those used in Pole Position). I liked TX-1 back in the day because you got options in the middle of the game where you were allowed to take different directions which would take you to different landscapes (similar to OutRun which came a few years after that), though I wasn't really good at it myself. As far as I know, there haven't been many homebrew efforts on 3D racing games so far.

I think TX-1 would be an interesting project, since I only know of two 3D racing games on the CV (Turbo and Pitstop), and both of them don't have a very realistic road display. I would be willing to help out if anyone's interested in formulas for correctly displaying the moving road (in fact, the formulas used in TX-1 don't look really correct, and they are even worse than those used in Pole Position). I liked TX-1 back in the day because you got options in the middle of the game where you were allowed to take different directions which would take you to different landscapes (similar to OutRun which came a few years after that), though I wasn't really good at it myself. As far as I know, there haven't been many homebrew efforts on 3D racing games so far.

You forgot about the Dukes of Hazzard on the ColecoVision. It's pretty much a driving simulator, steering wheel and all. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think Dukes of Hazzard on the ColecoVision proved that a first person racing game is not really something that should be explored on the ColecoVision, at least in that manner. It's a framey mess. I certainly did enjoy Turbo, though, and I think if the technical ambitions were kept to a maximum level of say a Pole Position, then I suppose it could be made workable.

I think Dukes of Hazzard on the ColecoVision proved that a first person racing game is not really something that should be explored on the ColecoVision, at least in that manner. It's a framey mess. I certainly did enjoy Turbo, though, and I think if the technical ambitions were kept to a maximum level of say a Pole Position, then I suppose it could be made workable.

Aah... A smooth-running version of Pole Position on the CV... That would be quite a technical achievement, especially graphic-wise! :D

I finally got a driving controller about two weeks ago and I have to say that we need more driving games for the CV.

That's where my suggestion of Death Race would work well with the driving controller: push up on the joystick to go forward and down to go in reverse.

Monaco GP and Sprint 2 would be cool as well.

I finally got a driving controller about two weeks ago and I have to say that we need more driving games for the CV.

I second this! :)

Here's a preview of my upcomming original racing game called: Super Turbo Racing

Looks nice...you're going to release this in the first quarter of 2011, right? :)

I second this! :)

Here's a preview of my upcomming original racing game called: Super Turbo Racing

Looks nice...you're going to release this in the first quarter of 2011, right? :)

No, we have to finish our upcomming new PCB, mainly: WaferCart

The WaferCart will use bank switching and saving feature as well

In fact, Super Turbo Racing will be a huge game featuring many weather condition, nitro, jump, and a story mode and arcade mode, all available in both 1 or 2 players mode

2012 seem more accurate for this project .....sad but true...

Framey mess, indeed! Yet somehow, back in 86 it seemed so playable and good, lol! I've tried mine many times now and it's just unplayable...even doing the bootlegger turns seems to not work, ever...which makes it impossible to get past bridges. The steering controls drift, kinda like Turbo...another game that, back then, was the cat's arse. Now it's just...not good.

The problems with the steering controller as something other than a novelty is there's no weight to it...it's just like an enlarged paddle controller. And in fact, it's not even as smooth as a paddle. I think the only controller Coleco released that actually succeeded was the Roller Controller (even that had a few flaws, but close enough).

Don't even get me started on Bump n Jump with the wheel...

Framey mess, indeed! Yet somehow, back in 86 it seemed so playable and good, lol! I've tried mine many times now and it's just unplayable...even doing the bootlegger turns seems to not work, ever...which makes it impossible to get past bridges. The steering controls drift, kinda like Turbo...another game that, back then, was the cat's arse. Now it's just...not good.

The problems with the steering controller as something other than a novelty is there's no weight to it...it's just like an enlarged paddle controller. And in fact, it's not even as smooth as a paddle. I think the only controller Coleco released that actually succeeded was the Roller Controller (even that had a few flaws, but close enough).

Don't even get me started on Bump n Jump with the wheel...

I actually still find Turbo quite enjoyable, but yeah, Dukes of Hazzard is a tough one to play these days for obvious reasons. I also agree about the steering wheel. It was much cooler then, but it is very limited as a steering wheel and more a sluggish paddle controller. Actually, my favorite steering wheel game is Destructor, which I love, bugs and all, but I know many, many people hate that game. To me, it had an epic feel that many games of the period lacked.

As for the roller controller, I agree that was easily Coleco's best overall controller. They did a bang up job on that. It's really right up there with any other trackball of the day.

Is there an official forum page for "Super Turbo Racing", retroillucid? I *think* I'm tracking one, but I can't remember since it's been so long. Let us know the link again please if there is one!