IGNORED

What the hell's an F-Plug?

Berzerker

I'm afraid I have some more questions about video and the Atari 7800...I was going to order the system with the things I needed to hook it up, that is a RCA to Coaxial adapter and a Coaxial cable, and a shielded red-white-yellow cable to use it with a VCR.

However, it appears that I now need to cost-cut...I might get those things at a later date, but for now, I think I'll deal with this.

The description for the 7800 on the site I'm buying on says it includes an "F-Plug" (Put JUST like that) so it can connect to any modern TV. I search "F-Plug" on Google Images and this is what I get:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=f%20plug&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1333&bih=674

OK. I know that there's a female RCA jack on the back of the 7800. Wow, um...I don't get this. Does this like...Plug into the 7800? What do both ends do? I'm GUESSING the end result is getting the thing into a coaxial jack, but then there's THIS issue...

THE THING'S A FEW INCHES! What, do I just have my entire Atari just jutting out of the TV? I need a cable, dammit! Not a tiny, tiny plug!

I mean, I MUST need something else to get this thing running.

So I just don't really get what an F-Plug is, and I really couldn't find help online either...Please, can someone explain in detail what an F-Plug is, and how it would work with my 7800 to get picture on my TV, and if I would need anything else that the seller isn't mentioning?

Edited by Berzerker

I'm afraid I have some more questions about video and the Atari 7800...I was going to order the system with the things I needed to hook it up, that is a RCA to Coaxial adapter and a Coaxial cable, and a shielded red-white-yellow cable to use it with a VCR.

However, it appears that I now need to cost-cut...I might get those things at a later date, but for now, I think I'll deal with this.

The description for the 7800 on the site I'm buying on says it includes an "F-Plug" (Put JUST like that) so it can connect to any modern TV. I search "F-Plug" on Google Images and this is what I get:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=f%20plug&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1333&bih=674

OK. I know that there's a female RCA jack on the back of the 7800. Wow, um...I don't get this. Does this like...Plug into the 7800? What do both ends do? I'm GUESSING the end result is getting the thing into a coaxial jack, but then there's THIS issue...

THE THING'S A FEW INCHES! What, do I just have my entire Atari just jutting out of the TV? I need a cable, dammit! Not a tiny, tiny plug!

I mean, I MUST need something else to get this thing running.

So I just don't really get what an F-Plug is, and I really couldn't find help online either...Please, can someone explain in detail what an F-Plug is, and how it would work with my 7800 to get picture on my TV, and if I would need anything else that the seller isn't mentioning?

The F plug is an adapter that allows you to bypass using a RD adapter to hook up your console to the TV. It plugs into your TV's antenna port and has a RCA style out that you plug the Atari 7800 into. Basically it does what an RF adapter does without the big honking piece of hardware. And yes, you plug an RCA style cable into both the atari and the F-plug.

The benefit of using an RF adapter rather than an F-plug is that with an RF adapter, you can still plug in an antenna to your TV. With an Fplug, the only thing that's plugged in is the Atari.

I use one of these myself.

Look, the 7800 uses the same output as Colecovision, and many other consoles and computers at the time. It's RF output only (unless you get some kind of upgrade or mod) you seem to be over complicating things. That jack on your 7800 is and RF output, not composite, no adapter even with a RED/WHITE/YELLOW cable is going to work for you, it may look like an RCA type of output but it is strictly RF which is a mix of audio and video to one signal. To hook this up to any TV or VCR you need something with a Tuner because RF output is displayed on channel 2 or 3 usually. YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED one RF cable and to plug this into your TV (or VCR) you must connect the other end either to a RF switchbox (the old manual type with a sliding switch, the ones that came later with NES require a small current to automatically switch over and those do not work) OR one of those RF to Coaxial adapter plugs, here is an example of the cable and adapter together (note the picture) that combo would work for most classic computers/consoles:

CLICK HERE, THIS IS THE CABLE and ADAPTER YOU NEED, THIS IS IT, NOTHING ELSE!

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2904099471721?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290409947172&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

• Like 2

Yeah, I read the topic & immediately Sheila Brovlovsky popped into my head... "What the hell's a rimjob?"

LOL - "Mooooooooooom, if you were in a German scheisse video, you'd tell me right"? "Sure pooopy kins" :D Haven't watched that show in years.

• Like 1