IGNORED

Intellivision Ebay Roundup

Just won Thunder Castle CIB for about US$40 shipped. Hope I didn't pay too much. It's the first semi-rare in my collection. :)

In my opinion, Thunder Castle is worth as low as $25-30 CIB if the box is pretty rough and around $40-55+ if in decent condition. That said, there are currently some pretty hefty asking prices on eBay right now (which aren't selling), so it's a game you have to be patient with if you want a fair price. It's a great game, so $40 was a fair price.

In case anyone is looking for a fixer upper at a lower price:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1621646112341?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=162164611234&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Who knows, that duct tape might actually come off :)

In my opinion, Thunder Castle is worth as low as $25-30 CIB if the box is pretty rough and around $40-55+ if in decent condition. That said, there are currently some pretty hefty asking prices on eBay right now (which aren't selling), so it's a game you have to be patient with if you want a fair price. It's a great game, so $40 was a fair price.

In case anyone is looking for a fixer upper at a lower price:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1621646112341?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=162164611234&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Who knows, that duct tape might actually come off :)

Duct tape can be tough to remove without damaging the surface of the box but it is possible. It's masking tape (the old school ivory colored kind, not the blue stuff) that is almost impossible to take off once it gets old and dries out. It takes an extremely steady hand and light application of Goo Gone in spots to achieve. The same is true of dried out rubber bands although those tend to leave a permanent mark across the box even after the material has been removed.

That copy of Thunder Castle looks pretty salvageable assuming the top flap isn't being held on solely by the duct tape. Even then there are ways to reattach it that aren't overly evasive. If I didn't already have a nice copy in my collection I would jump at it for that price.

• Like 1

Duct tape can be tough to remove without damaging the surface of the box but it is possible. It's masking tape (the old school ivory colored kind, not the blue stuff) that is almost impossible to take off once it gets old and dries out. It takes an extremely steady hand and light application of Goo Gone in spots to achieve. The same is true of dried out rubber bands although those tend to leave a permanent mark across the box even after the material has been removed.

That copy of Thunder Castle looks pretty salvageable assuming the top flap isn't being held on solely by the duct tape. Even then there are ways to reattach it that aren't overly evasive. If I didn't already have a nice copy in my collection I would jump at it for that price.

I swear I'm hiring you as my personal box guy :D

• Like 1

I swear I'm hiring you as my personal box guy :D

I've had to do a lot of restoration work on some rarer games just to be able to afford the have them CIB in my collection. The smallest things can kill a lot of value at auctions so I try to take advantage of them when I can. It's also what lead me to be able to create boxes from scratch so a lot of good has come out of it for me.

And I am happy to take a crack at any box issue anyone may have, no charge. Just keep in mind it is possible to do more harm than good for the more severe cases.

• Like 1

I died a little inside when I saw this lot.

For Pete's sake, just dump all the boxes together, leave the photos upside down, and don't clean off that vintage cat hair.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2723560926441?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=272356092644&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

That's how I store all my variants, what're you talking about? I just use a box cutter to open the bag and root through it, then toss into another bag when done. Sure saves a lot of trouble on fancy storage mechanisms. It sucked that one year that my kids mixed them with the leaf bags, though.

I died a little inside when I saw this lot.

For Pete's sake, just dump all the boxes together, leave the photos upside down, and don't clean off that vintage cat hair.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2723560926441?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=272356092644&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I know a local guy who deals in games, and this is exactly how he conducts all of his business. Nothing is cleaned, nothing is tested. He pays next to nothing when he buys, and then gets insulted when you low ball him. "On Ebay, they go for this much!" The only good part is he is completely ignorant about the vintage stuff, so sometimes you can get a pretty decent deal. He's also the guy that pesters every yard sale and asks if they have games. If they even hint that they might, he really hard pressures them to dig them out and then I'm sure low balls them.