Photo

Pitfall II hack

2 replies to this topic

#1 Chilly Willy OFFLINE  

Chilly Willy

Dragonstomper

• 747 posts

Posted Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:01 PM

Given there's already a Pitfall 2 hack in the 5200 sub-forum, I figure this should be okay, but if not, feel free to edit this. This is a hack I made more than 15 years ago to Pitfall 2 for the Atari 8-bit home console. The biggest problem I had with the game was that even the slightest error sent you back to the last cross, which might mean having to go back through half a level to get back where you died... and might just die again! It was especially bad on the last level trying to get the darn rope.

So I hacked Pitfall 2 to add a save/load game state feature. Press OPTION during the game to pull up the menu. You can format a disk, save to the disk, or load from the disk. Pitfall 2 was "fun" to hack since the protections on it were so hard to bypass. In the end, I wound up leaving the rom strictly alone; instead, I reassembled the game code to 10KB below the rom, stripping out the protection code and adding the save state hack. This hack is a DOS binary program and will play on any Atari with 48KB of RAM. You can run it in Atari800 using the -run option.

Attached Files

Edited by Chilly Willy, Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:21 PM.

#2 devwebcl OFFLINE  

devwebcl

Stargunner

• 1,249 posts

Posted Sat Jan 1, 2011 5:04 AM

great! always I have wanted something like it... thanks !!!

#3 Fres OFFLINE  

Fres

Dragonstomper

• 705 posts

Posted Sat Jan 1, 2011 8:02 AM

Wow. Very cool. I had no idea that this existed. Nice work.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users