IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

Great to see you were able to recover many of your disks, Curt. There is so much to archive and so little time. I need a month 6 months off just to archive the stuff I have.

Allan

Hi Allan

Thanks, you are so right! :-)

I’m going to be posting a ton of ATR’s and ROM dumps tomorrow night. I am having a blast going through this stuff.

• Like 5

Well, apologies to anyone trying to logon (and having problems) for the last couple of days.

I've had a second Lantronix UDS10 act up. This unit suddenly stopped taking calls. I reset

it a couple of times and that seemed to fix it temporarily but this morning I couldn't get it

to answer anything. I tried logging in in setup mode (9999) but it refused to accept that too.

No warning red lights this time, flashing or otherwise.

I don't have any PC's around that have serial ports anymore.

No problem though, STacy to the rescue (and TAZ). I configured another UDS10 unit and

it seems to be okay for now.

Please e-mail me or post here if anyone has any other problems.

Thanks guys. :)

Well, apologies to anyone trying to logon (and having problems) for the last couple of days.

I've had a second Lantronix UDS10 act up. This unit suddenly stopped taking calls. I reset

it a couple of times and that seemed to fix it temporarily but this morning I couldn't get it

to answer anything. I tried logging in in setup mode (9999) but it refused to accept that too.

No warning red lights this time, flashing or otherwise.

I don't have any PC's around that have serial ports anymore.

No problem though, STacy to the rescue (and TAZ). I configured another UDS10 unit and

it seems to be okay for now.

Please e-mail me or post here if anyone has any other problems.

Thanks guys. :)

Yeah, I lost an MSS-100 last year.... really sucked. And on top of that, one of the replacements I ordered came DOA. :(

The number of failed uds-10 units you are having concerns me, static? voltages? wiring? there must be reason for these deaths....

Believe me, it's concerning to me as well. :)

I have DarkForce running through a UPS that gives a 30 minute backup so outages, brownouts, line spikes, all

that nasty stuff should be covered.

What I'm wondering about is the power supply for the UDS's itself. It's old - came with one of the units. Not sure

I have anymore that actually came with a UDS. Does the UDS line give warnings about its incoming P/S? Don't

remember seeing anything in the manual about that.

Anyone care to recommend a good replacement P/S for it? Universal okay, or to be avoided?

Thanks!

Seriously, trash all of those pieces of junk. There are infinitely better (and cheaper) solutions available today, which are _FAR_ less finicky.

-Thom

? Not sure what you're referring to? The UDS line is a basic staple for many SysOps who want to keep their legacy BBS's,

both 8bit and 16bit, available via telnet, in order to be easily accessible by the largest target audience...

• Like 3

??? been using lantronix devices forever, they aren't expensive today, and they work with whatever I've thrown at them, save a couple of poorly implemented terminal programs in all of those years.... They work, and have been the backbone of an incredible number of factories and retail stores code scanning and price station implementations...

I've been happily uploading and downloading software, bbs's, remotely controlling equipment for ages... not sure what kind difficulty would or could be at issue...

If you call out to ddns boards, make sure you get a dns capable model...

I have a stack of perle devices as well...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

They are _extremely_ finicky, and I've found dozens of bugs in the UDS and MSS firmwares over the last 20 years, which simply do not exist in modern (ESP8266, ESP32, Raspberry PI, etc.) implementations.

Sure, they are the backbone of legacy systems, you know why? because there was nothing else. They were pieces of junk then, and pieces of junk, now.

There are far better solutions now, that don't require you to chase things down on eBay.

I KNOW I'm stirring a hornet's nest here, but I am imploring people to NOT suggest UDS or MSS devices for new setups. This needs to die a legacy death.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

lmao, wow didn't know you had this all licked 20 years ago... and since you have all those bugs listed out I bet they could be fixed right quick, I am curious if you did the fixes already and uploaded them, as far as the esp goes, if that was the instant solution we would have all had them up and working perfectly... as it stands now, the only one that seems decent was/is the Wi-modem as an out of the box solution...

The biggest issue for folks is, was, and has been choosing the correct solution for what they wanted to do, DNS being the biggest hurdle to convenience. So pick one that does it.

Blame the interface if you want, properly selected, properly configured, properly wired... they work great...

I am sure everything else is crap, other than whatever your thinking is the best. I hope the new interface and device you are having made is better than anything else that has come before, until it's here... all of us will just have to continue using what works for us. Can't wait for something better to come along!

I have seen about 3 WIPS that look promising. Console severs are still decent all things considered

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

They are _extremely_ finicky, and I've found dozens of bugs in the UDS and MSS firmwares over the last 20 years, which simply do not exist in modern (ESP8266, ESP32, Raspberry PI, etc.) implementations.

Sure, they are the backbone of legacy systems, you know why? because there was nothing else. They were pieces of junk then, and pieces of junk, now.

There are far better solutions now, that don't require you to chase things down on eBay.

I KNOW I'm stirring a hornet's nest here, but I am imploring people to NOT suggest UDS or MSS devices for new setups. This needs to die a legacy death.

-Thom

Okay, I'll bite. What's a solid, recommended replacement solution for the UDS10 series that will work with an Atari Mega ST4 and

BBS Express! Pro software.

Thanks!

One example of a currently working device, infinitely better than a Lantronix UDS, MSS:

https://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php?prod=WiModem232

And another:

https://electronicsisfun.com/

And yet another, is a Raspberry Pi with a USB RS232 adapter, running this:

https://github.com/tschak909/tcpser

@The Doctor - haven't you figured out by now, that I always put my money where my mouth is? :)

-Thom

• Like 1

As I stated the Wi Modem, the others are coming real soon now....who still has their 'RSN' buttons? But thanks for re posting the same solution I already quoted, though for a while there were no wi-modems to buy... glad to see things changing.

I finally stopped using my tower to provide any network link to the Atari in 2000 give or take, I only did that sort of thing again when testing as a request and helping with irc clients and such. cygwin etc.... or later in a pinch apes internet modem.

In any event, I still say... use what works for you.... In my case I still use scs, mss, eds, ets, and yes even uds devices... I do use perle devices only when I have to...

until something better comes along and still reliably handles uploads and downloads that is.

Edited by _The Doctor__

The Wi Modem is wireless, no lan cord.... hayes compatible...

https://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php?prod=WiModem232OLED

a bit pricey, and I would like the Atari Logo on the oled splash... but that's just me....

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

by setting the RS232 to 300 baud, and either using WPS negotiation, like this:

ATI
(press WPS button on router)
AT*WPS

or by setting the WIFI parameters via a scan:

AT*N
... wait for your network to show up
AT*NSx,passphrase

or by explicitly setting SSID (e.g. if you're not broadcasting it)

AT*SSID <ssid>,<passphrase>

:)

Other WIFI modems work similarly. tcpser uses whatever settings your RPi is running with.

-Thom

• Like 1

The Wi Modem is wireless, no lan cord.... hayes compatible...

https://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php?prod=WiModem232OLED

a bit pricey, and I would like the Atari Logo on the oled splash... but that's just me....

Ohhhh....it's wifi, not direct connect. Hmm, don't think I'd want that for my BBS.

The router is at one end of the house and the Mega ST4 is at the other, with

about 3-4 walls in between.

Looks like something I'd want to plug into my STacy for true portability. :)

PS and I agree about the Atari logo.

Here are the following BBS' that I have recovered:

Original AMIS BBS' version 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 also with the original fix patches:

Original AMIS.atr

Carnival Network BBS:

Carnival BBS.atr

BBS Utilities Menu:

bbs utils menu.atr

Night Shift BBS:

nightshift bbs.atr

Will be posting Multiline AMIS and Multiline FoReM versions and S-Line BBS's in a few days... have fun!

• Like 9

Thank you.... I'm looking forward to playing with this.

I had a thought for a multi-line Atari 8-bit BBS (well, and ST as well) but beyond buying a few Mega's and 800xls I'm beginning to wonder if it would be worth the effort. I have a hard enough time keeping my one line BBS's busy

• Like 1

Here are the following BBS' that I have recovered:

Original AMIS BBS' version 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 also with the original fix patches:

attachicon.gifOriginal AMIS.atr

Carnival Network BBS:

attachicon.gifCarnival BBS.atr

BBS Utilities Menu:

attachicon.gifbbs utils menu.atr

Night Shift BBS:

attachicon.gifnightshift bbs.atr

Will be posting Multiline AMIS and Multiline FoReM versions and S-Line BBS's in a few days... have fun!

I don't know what you have been up to lately but I want to come to your house and play too!!!

LOL

• Like 2

Are you kidding? We need to know the physician that finally helped, what foods he ate, lifestyle and exercise changes, it's seeming like a modern day miracle. If you show us a pool with alien pods in it that make you young again... well, just don't let too many of us come to play and swim, this sort of thing can get away from a person! :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

I can thank the Drs at NYUs non invasive cardiac surgical unit, the last operation really changed my health around.

Im also on a low cholesterol diet that is a mix of Keto. Im at the gym each day 6 times a week and Im loving every minute Im back up in the Atari Museum Office again working late into the night on what I love the most... Atari.

• Like 3