IGNORED

XM Status Page...

Curt Vendel

Well, don't expect excitement over what is at this point, empty words with nothing tangible to back them.

So lets get this straight :-

Pictures of the XM as a concept model from Curt Vendel (who is financially backing the product to probably $10K+) - Not good enough?

Pictures of the XM as pretty final plastics from Curt - Not good enough?

Pictures of a prototype XM on the AA stand run by Albert (our congenial host) at CGE2010 - Not good enough?

Updates about the XM progress at major milestones - Not good enough?

Screenshots of upcoming games from a developer with a proven track record on the platform - Not good enough?

200+ people who have kindly made advance payments for the XM to happen - Not good enough?

Plenty of support from long standing members of the AA community - Not good enough?

Man this must be the most humongous April Fools AA has ever pulled then huh?

• Like 6

As others have said this project has required a huge investment of time and money and you can be sure Curt will be doing all he can to get the XM out as soon as is reasonably possible and people like Groovybee are working on some great XM compatible games.

If you don't want to commit until the XM is out and the first XM games are released then that is fine - wait until it is out. Complaining and bitching - including insinuations that this is vaporware etc just distract the people that are working hard on this project and will probably put them (and others) off doing anything else.

• Like 7

Well, don't expect excitement over what is at this point, empty words with nothing tangible to back them.

So lets get this straight :-

Pictures of the XM as a concept model from Curt Vendel (who is financially backing the product to probably $10K+) - Not good enough?

Pictures of the XM as pretty final plastics from Curt - Not good enough?

Pictures of a prototype XM on the AA stand run by Albert (our congenial host) at CGE2010 - Not good enough?

Updates about the XM progress at major milestones - Not good enough?

Screenshots of upcoming games from a developer with a proven track record on the platform - Not good enough?

200+ people who have kindly made advance payments for the XM to happen - Not good enough?

Plenty of support from long standing members of the AA community - Not good enough?

Man this must be the most humongous April Fools AA has ever pulled then huh?

Like 4 screenshots. Besides, all of that is meaningless without an actual product people can buy. I'll be glad to be less critical when it's more than preordering missed release dates. I'm sorry you think I should endlessly praise something that doesn't exist yet, but I can't do that. Praise comes when the product is in people's hands. Not before.

Like 4 screenshots. Besides, all of that is meaningless without an actual product people can buy. I'll be glad to be less critical when it's more than preordering missed release dates. I'm sorry you think I should endlessly praise something that doesn't exist yet, but I can't do that. Praise comes when the product is in people's hands. Not before.

Very well. You made your point. You're not satisfied with the wealth of evidence that this product is not vaporware. Good for you. As for the rest of us, the Xm missed its release date. We get it. We know we'll have the XM before too long because we know Curt's longstanding reputation in this community and trust him.

It's time to let this argument go. You're becoming a bit of a troll. I for one I'm about ready to use the ignore button. You're entitled to an opinion but this is getting tedious.

Edited by Lendorien
  • Like 8

So you've paid for your XM since your post in this thread and have legitimate concerns or are you complaining because a developer won't sell you a game that's compatible with the system you currently have?

Praise comes when the product is in people's hands. Not before.

I can see a horde of Apple fanboys at your front door. paranoid.gif

Oh, I've had my share of altercations with them. I'm not exactly what one would call an Apple fan.

Very well. You made your point. You're not satisfied with the wealth of evidence that this product is not vaporware. Good for you. As for the rest of us, the Xm missed its release date. We get it. We know we'll have the XM before too long because we know Curt's longstanding reputation in this community and trust him.

It's time to let this argument go. You're becoming a bit of a troll. I for one I'm about ready to use the ignore button. You're entitled to an opinion but this is getting tedious.

No, it's more the arrogance and anger from certain people here. The prevailing attitude seems to be one of "How dare you not be in love with this item!", as if people are shocked that there are those of us here that aren't going to fall down and worship it without anyone having actually seen, used, or touched it.

So you've paid for your XM since your post in this thread and have legitimate concerns or are you complaining because a developer won't sell you a game that's compatible with the system you currently have?

No, I haven't purchased one, and have no plans to. Even if I had, at one point, had plans to, the attitudes surrounding it's more ardent supporters are enough to turn me off of it, not even counting the lack of any major visible software (Even Atari would make fake screenshots to hype something, if they didn't have legitimate ones. :P)

As far as the game goes, I have interest in Bob's work because I trust his dev skills, and his games have all been A+ in my book. So it's lamentable to miss out on one in favor of it being developed for something that may or may not even come out this year.

I've pretty much said my piece here, and I'm sorry you seem to think that it's unreasonable of me to not praise it endlessly before it even really exists.

Edited by DocEss

No, it's more the arrogance and anger from certain people here. The prevailing attitude seems to be one of "How dare you not be in love with this item!", as if people are shocked that there are those of us here that aren't going to fall down and worship it without anyone having actually seen, used, or touched it.

And the irritation you're seeing here is the fact that you keep going on and on and on and on and on and on and on, ad nauseum about it. As I and plenty others here have said. We understand you have criticisms. The product isn't out yet. We know it WILL come out because Curt has a reputation for following through. Most of us are willing to wait and see when it does. Games will come out for it. Several programmers have already announced or have stated they're working on stuff.

If you don't like the project or the fact there are few games for it, great. Good for you. We get that. Now let it go. Thanks.

Edited by Lendorien
  • Like 4

I'm interested in the XM, but it's just pie in the sky to me until people start having actual XMs in their hands.

I do have a friend - here on this forum in fact although I talk to him on IRC - who might help me with smoketesting my project as I try to get it off the ground. My 6502-fu isn't bad, it's my 7800-fu that's weak (the system's a bit wacky for someone used to PCs and Apple ][s!) but I see potential that I think most people aren't going to exploit because the 7800 is a "game console", and even if I can't do what I want I want to at least be able to say I put in my all.

But the XM is a big part of that. Not because of the RAM. Not because of the sound chips. Because of the SIO port and the keyboard port.

I've said my piece about my thoughts on XM. There's no need to go through it here again, though I will state that the idea that critique over design decisions are "silly" due to it being finalized is itself "silly" as we critique GCC's design decisions of 7800 a lot around here, or NES, or SMS, or any number of systems and add-ons. Silly too is the idea that those who haven't designed hardware cannot critique hardware design decisions; if the "you can't do it" thing were a valid argument, then criticizing a coach or manager's game strategy decisions would be "silly" too. It's a valid critique whether it rubs one the right way or not.

However, what IS absolutely unacceptable, IMHO, is insinuations that Mr. Vendel and the rest behind XM are engaging in some sort of vaporware money grab. That is just...it's just wrong. Critique of an idea or product is valid, but accusing or insinuating that someone is engaging in slimeball behavior without ANY proof of such behavior is just WRONG. Especially when said person has proved themselves to be upfront, trustworthy, and a true Atarian.

Disagreement though I may have with certain decisions in regards to XM, I do look forward to it and wish devs the best and I do not extend my disagreement over the product to baseless insults towards those behind XM. I am sure that those who buy into it will enjoy it. While I am not completely "sold" on the product, I am open to the possibility, nay, probability that I will be an owner of the product at some point if the software is compelling enough.

• Like 7

[quote name='ApolloBoy' date='Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:57 PM' timestamp='1298257053' pnough games to make the plunge, if ever.

No, it's more the arrogance and anger from certain people here.

I've pretty much said my piece here, and I'm sorry you seem to think that it's unreasonable of me to not praise it endlessly before it even really exists.

Uh huh. *clicks "Ignore User" button*

Yeah, there is too much victim identification going on, even down to Underball's wording and ancillary off-axis comments, by some of, presumably, Underball's proponents and not enough examples of neutrality that you'd expect from a random critic. It feeds just too well into Underball's martyr complex. Though I guess we're only seeing the fringe, attracted by like sentiments. Most people, the 95% of those on the fence are patiently waiting for either the hardware or games and don't identify with these antics.

Edited by AtariNerd
  • Like 3

[quote name='ApolloBoy' date='Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:57 PM' timestamp='1298257053' pnough games to make the plunge, if ever.

No, it's more the arrogance and anger from certain people here.

Uh huh. *clicks "Ignore User" button*

Yeah, there is too much victim identification going on, even down to Underball's wording and ancillary off-axis comments, by some of, presumably, Underball's proponents and not enough examples of neutrality that you'd expect from a random critic. It feeds just too well into Underball's martyr complex. Though I guess we're only seeing the fringe, attracted by like sentiments. Most people, the 95% of those on the fence are patiently waiting for either the hardware or games and don't identify with these antics.

Well, feel free to ignore me. Go right ahead. I'm not going to praise it just because I'm told to. I'll praise it if it's worthy of it. Putting in a lot of effort, or whatever else has been said, doesn't automatically make it above criticism. That's generally been my main problem. Too much arrogance, and too many people who seem to think they're above criticism, and that it's audacious to even dare to speak negatively of it.

All I've said from day one in this thread is that I'd like to know what games are coming out, and to be able to see them in action before I buy.

I know it's real. I'm not doubting it's existence or relative progress. Don't lump everyone into two sides. I want to see what the XM is capable of. I'm not nearly as unreasonable as others here.

The specs have been done for months. Several games are nearly completely coded. I think a good video representation of what it can and will do would serve to silence most if not all of the criticism.

What I balk at is the fact that no one wants to show off their work. Curt does, obviously. But I want to see Grooveybee and the others put their money where their keyboard is. Show us something great.

I don't think that's asking too much.

You want several hundred of my dollars? Cool. Show me why.

Edited by Underball
  • Like 5

Is there anything at all that can be done to "Troll-Proof" this thread????

I mean, c'mon... it was entertaining to read some of this garbage for about, oh, 3-seconds, but this is getting just plain annoying. :thumbsdown:

I wish all the XM-haters would just shut the F*ck up already. This delay has just given them fuel for the fire.

I'll just wait patiently for Curt's update.

Thanks.

• Like 4