IGNORED

Jaguar HSC Revamped FINAL (Round 12): Pitfall the Mayan Adventure

Austin

Jaguar HSC Revamped FINAL ROUND (ROUND 12):

PITFALL: THE MAYAN ADVENTURE!

ROUND OVER.

RULES AND DIRECTIONS:

Start a game on NORMAL mode and go until you Game Over. Post your score when finished!

If you are not familiar with the new Jaguar HSC general rules and how the scoring system works, please visit this thread here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/166522-new-jaguar-hsc-rules-updated-7242010/. It is recommended that you take a photo of your score, but it is not required. We go on good faith here, so please be honest.. :)

Scores submitted:

1. DoctorClu - 157,389 +11pts

2. Kegenthe - 102,513 +10pts

3. Boog - 37,905 +9pts

4. The_Laird - 17,250 +8pts

5. Orpheuswaking - 10,110 +7pts

FINAL JAGUAR HSC REVAMPED RANKINGS:

1. The_Laird - 121pts

2. Austin - 95pts

3. orpheuswaking - 93pts

4. Boog - 83pts

5. Gaztee - 54pts

6. Kgenthe - 47pts

7. Hyper_Eye - 46pts

8. Kevincal - 43pts

9. Major Havoc 2049 - 34pts

10. Doctorclu - 28pts

11. GKC - 26pts

12. Roadrunner - 23pts

13. Lexlothar - 13pts

14. Save2600 - 11pts

15. Sauron - 10pts

16. Tyrant - 8pts

17. Jag_Slave - 7pts

18. Dan Iacovelli - 3pts

My score / points never got counted for Missile Command 3d. That is pretty lame. :roll: Guess I won't bother playing anymore, as it seems that is the childish route Austin has taken (ignoring me and my scores)... Have fun guys... See ya. All 3 of ya. :lol:

What has the world come to when people have to have a power trip on a desolate Atari Jaguar High Score Club? Pretty incredible and highly laughable. :)

Now I should probably expect another PM from an AA mod as Austin's MO is to go crying foul to them whenever I say anything about him! :lol:

Edited by kevincal

Austin I know you are probably still deciding how the next set of rounds will be ran but will the point tally carry over from this set of rounds?

I haven't decided yet (the format will most-likely stay the same). The point tally will be wiped out and everyone will start back on the same page.

Made my first attempt at this game ever. It's not as bad as I initially thought. The jumping is a bit too loose for my tastes, and enemies are often in awkward locations. The level design is generally confusing as well, and it's rarely obvious where you are supposed to go and what to do. Graphically though, it's quite artistic and boasts a lot of color.

5347829850_622a70826f.jpg

My score is actually higher, but I wasn't paying attention to how many lives I had and didn't capture my final score. I just happened to take this picture near the end of my run to test the camera. When you use a continue, your score resets. Just a heads up.

Edited by kgenthe
  • Like 1

Basically Kgenthe's tactic. Jump over him, then immediately turn around and throw two or three rocks, then repeat. Be careful with how many you throw, otherwise his chances of hitting you will be higher (I generally stick with two or three at a time, tops). Occasionally he will jump instead of rolling under you, but if you stick to the main pattern above he may only hit you once or twice.

Also, the explosive weapons are pretty useful and take a nice chunk of life away. Just make sure you hit near him to actually do some damage. I think you press the Option key to switch through your weapons? I don't remember..

Does this game not have a high score table? I couldn't get to my camera fast enough when I died to take a screenshot and just expected a high score table to come up :?

So I couldn't get a photo but I got a pretty lame 17,250.

I hate platformers and this game frustrated the hell out of me, I have no desire to play it again anytime soon.

• Like 1

Why does it frustrate you? I never found this game very difficult at all. Tell me what the problem is, and maybe I can help you.

I'm not sure if it has a high score table though. Can someone check the manual and see what it says (I sold my real copy of it last week)?

Keep practicing man.. Platformers are great, especially the ones of the 8 and 16-bit eras. Being able to get somewhere in them is the first step to really enjoying them.

On the way home from work I got to thinking and I remembered that Pitfall on the Jaguar also suffers from an inconsistent framerate. This makes controlling it accurately more difficult than other versions. It's especially noticeable on the later water stages where you have to hop across the alligators classic Pitfall style.

Keep practicing man.. Platformers are great, especially the ones of the 8 and 16-bit eras. Being able to get somewhere in them is the first step to really enjoying them.

On the way home from work I got to thinking and I remembered that Pitfall on the Jaguar also suffers from an inconsistent framerate. This makes controlling it accurately more difficult than other versions. It's especially noticeable on the later water stages where you have to hop across the alligators classic Pitfall style.

I have hated platformers since I was a kid so I don't think thats about to change now I am in my mid thirties :lol:

I havn't noticed any problems with the frame rate at all, I actually forgot how smooth this game was. :ponder:

• Like 1

I havn't noticed any problems with the frame rate at all, I actually forgot how smooth this game was. :ponder:

Play the originals it's based on and you will see and feel the difference, but again, it's spotty in this version. Some parts run smoother than others, but it definitely gets the worst later in the game. It should also be noted though that the Jaguar version runs at a lower framerate at it's max than the other versions do. It's hard to describe, but the best I can put it is to take a look at Rayman and Zool 2 in motion (of course, with Zool 2, when it's not slowing down from too much action), then go straight to Pitfall. You will see the slight choppiness in the overall framerate right from the get-go compared to those two. The other versions of the game on the 16-bit platforms of the day run like Rayman and Zool do.

I've been wanting to pick this game up for the Jag for awhile but today I was out and about and visited a local retro video game store and found a CIB copy for the Genesis (it even has the poster) for $7 and picked it up. Pretty fun game. The levels can be kind of confusing but it's a pretty solid platformer. I was able to get by the first boss using kgenthe's and Austin's advice and got past the waterfall level but the mine level was blowing my mind as far as trying to figure out where to go so I stopped.

Anyways now that I have it for the Genesis is there any reason to get it for any other platform? I am most curious about the Jag version but if anyone has ever owned/played the 32x or Sega CD versons could let me know if you think it is worth getting it on those platforms. Or is there very little difference or reason to get it since I already own the Genesis version?

Edited by GKC
  • Like 1

The Sega CD version is the one to get. It is the same as the Genesis game, but the CD soundtrack makes a huge difference. The Jag version has a higher color palette, but the sound isn't much better than the Genesis version and it suffers from an inconsistent framerate. It's still a good game, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't play as smoothly as the 16-bit versions.

The Sega CD version is the one to get. It is the same as the Genesis game, but the CD soundtrack makes a huge difference. The Jag version has a higher color palette, but the sound isn't much better than the Genesis version and it suffers from an inconsistent framerate. It's still a good game, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't play as smoothly as the 16-bit versions.

Thanks Austin. I will probably take it off my Jag want list and most likely my 32x one as well. Whenever I get around to getting a Sega CD and start buying games I will look for that version. :thumbsup:

Edited by GKC
  • Like 1

post-7508-129557102191_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture, I forgot to have my camera ready. Thankfully, I did video record the entire session :)

Note for anyone else that gives this a go and wants to snap a picture. The High Score remains on the screen for quite a while. Through the "quit" or "continue" screen and through the "game over" screen.

This game is growing on me a little bit. The level design is hit or miss. I do like that there are multiple layers (foreground and background) on every level, which is fairly unique for a platformer. But sometimes the level design is more complicated than it needs to be. The game also puts you in awkward positions where you have little choice but to absorb a hit. Thankfully, there are quite a few hidden areas all over, encouraging exploring, which then leads you to extra lives (and higher scores). The graphics are smooth, yet somehow choppy at the same time. The color and detail is excellent though. Still, not sure if it's better than just average. It's missing a certain charm that makes it forgettable.

• Like 1