IGNORED

Pong system on a modern LCD TV?

SoulBlazer

So the TV that I have now, and do all my movie and game playing on, is a Magnavox 42 inch widescreen 1080p LCD set.

A friend send me a e-mail today saying he found this old Atari Pong unit (not sure which one, one of the early ones they made) in his garage and it was complete. Didn't have any intrest and is moving so didn't want to bother listing it on EBay or taking it with him so he offered it to me.

There's a page here which talks about hooking it up to TV sets that have a RF port:

http://www.pong-story.com/switchbox.htm

But I'm wondering if it's possible to connect this old Pong unit to my TV set?

I have a older CRT set also but it also lacks a RF port for some reason....weird.

I'd sure like to get this old unit and check it out, but I'd like to PLAY it also, for old times sake. :)

If you already have a cable hooked up than yes. Unless you use an actualy switchbox or one of these. But you would still need that coax-F adaptor.

Yeah, I have the cable hooked up. Thanks for the help and options, I'll have to get the stuff when I can to see if this old thing even works.

I wonder how the picture quality is going to be on a advanced TV like this from something that was made before I was born. :D

Just keep in mind, these pong systems (and early video game consoles in general) were designed for analog tuners and not precise digital. As such, you may have sync issues depending on the TV.

If you do wind up having issues, an intermediary device like a VCR or something like this will be required:

RF_Modulator__video_converter_RF007.jpg

The latter will allow you to hook it up with Composite (RCA) connections as well to your TV.

Edited by wgungfu

Just keep in mind, these pong systems (and early video game consoles in general) were designed for analog tuners and not precise digital. As such, you may have sync issues depending on the TV.

If you do wind up having issues, an intermediary device like a VCR or something like this will be required:

The latter will allow you to hook it up with Composite (RCA) connections as well to your TV.

Thanks. Still haven't gotten the Pong system yet but I still use a VCR now and then so that would be easy to do.

TV makers ought to build in a few classic games into the TV's -- Pong, Breakout, Space Invaders, Galaga, etc.. They'd take up less than a megabyte of space and would be a selling point. It'd be another bullet point feature on a list of specs.

A few portable DVD player makers have tried that, but the licensing, extra parts, firmware/coding for the volume done in TV's would be way to cost prohibitive and not a real selling point for today's televisions. The fact it'd be just another bullet on a list of specs is exactly why it's not worth the money when you're talking about the intended target audience of that kind of consumer device. Portable TV's possibly.

• 1 month later...

TV makers ought to build in a few classic games into the TV's -- Pong, Breakout, Space Invaders, Galaga, etc.. They'd take up less than a megabyte of space and would be a selling point. It'd be another bullet point feature on a list of specs.

A few portable DVD player makers have tried that, but the licensing, extra parts, firmware/coding for the volume done in TV's would be way to cost prohibitive and not a real selling point for today's televisions. The fact it'd be just another bullet on a list of specs is exactly why it's not worth the money when you're talking about the intended target audience of that kind of consumer device. Portable TV's possibly.

I'm actually surprised Vizio hasn't tried this for their more expensive televisions as a way to distinguish themselves from the cheap Chinese/Korean competitors sold through the likes of Sam's Club and Costco.

But what we really need is an "Atari" branded flat screen with these capabilities. :)

Funny you should mention the Rf Modulator. I happen to have one up for auction right now. It's a 4-way, so you can hook up 4 different items to your tv:

Shameless plug ahead: ;)

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3305333524421?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=330533352442&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

• 3 weeks later...

Funny you should mention the Rf Modulator. I happen to have one up for auction right now. It's a 4-way, so you can hook up 4 different items to your tv:

Shameless plug ahead: ;)

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3305333524421?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=330533352442&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Woah... I had no idea they had a 4 way RF switch to modulator! Now I know what to get the gameroom for all those older consoles... XD