Photo

New case for my SIO2SD

23 replies to this topic

#1 erazmus OFFLINE  

erazmus

Star Raider

• 87 posts

Posted Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:55 PM

After a few weeks of work, I just finished my new case for my SIO2SD. I was originally looking for an XM301 modem to use as a case, but it doesn't really match with my XL-series machines and 1050 drives. Digging around in my collection, I found a 1030 modem, and decided that it would make a good donor for a case that matches the XL series machines.

I also sacrificed an 800XL keyboard function keys to give me buttons that fit with the theme. The 1030 has 2 SIO jacks, which means that my SIO2SD no longer has to be the last device in the chain. Here are a few pictures if you're interested.

Attached Thumbnails

• sio2sd1.jpg
  • sio2sd2.jpg
  • sio2sd3.jpg
  • sio2sd4.jpg
  • sio2sd5.jpg

#2 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 15,404 posts

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:27 AM

Nice... I've still got to get around to doing mine.

I take it you've removed the buttons on it also.

#3 erazmus OFFLINE  

erazmus

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 87 posts

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:52 AM

Nice... I've still got to get around to doing mine.

I take it you've removed the buttons on it also.

From the main SIO2SD board, I removed the buttons, the LEDs, and the SD card slot. I purchased a new SD card slot (with a push-in-push-out action) and mounted it to the front of the 1030 case. I also mounted a couple of LEDs to the front of the 1030 case, where the original LEDs on the modem were, and wired these to the first two LEDs on the SIO2SD board.

I wanted switches that would match the theme, so I hacked apart a 800XL keyboard. The actual switch contacts are membrane, so they wouldn't work. Instead, I used the keycaps and springs from the function keys, and put some small surface-mount switches on the board directly below.

I am very happy with the way this project turned out, even though it took much longer than I thought.

#4 Noelio OFFLINE  

Noelio

Dragonstomper

• 500 posts

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:51 AM

Now that is a gorgeous job right there! And the fact that you added daisy chaining to it... Very very nice.

#5 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,999 posts

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:11 AM

Lovely job! That would also make a nice enclosure for an XL-style IDEa interface...

#6 Ransom OFFLINE  

Ransom

River Patroller

• 4,964 posts
  • Pre-Crash Gaming and Computing Enthusiast

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:48 AM

Very nice indeed! That's the ultimate in A8 goodness.

#7 svenski OFFLINE  

svenski

Stargunner

• 1,484 posts

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:52 AM

That looks awesome, congrats!

#8 thgill OFFLINE  

thgill

Moonsweeper

• 323 posts
  • Pants: Optional

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:32 AM

Very nice. The buttons definitely give it that retro early 80's authentic look.

Since you are using a larger enclosure, it would be nice if there was an option to use a larger, 4 line display instead of the small 2 line one that the SIO2SD units use.

#9 erazmus OFFLINE  

erazmus

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 87 posts

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:16 AM

I had read somewhere that the SIO2SD firmware worked with a wider display, but haven't seen anything about a 4-line display. Does anyone know anything about this?

#10 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,999 posts

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:26 AM

We were thinking about fitting a 40 character display in one of these:

Posted Image

However, the screen was too wide for the case. 20 characters seems a nice compromise.

AFAIK, the firmware is set up to use no more than 2 lines, but there's no limit on the horizontal resolution. However, wen choosing a significantly larger backlit display, it may be prudent to consider the additional power consumption.

Edited by flashjazzcat, Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:27 AM.

#11 erazmus OFFLINE  

erazmus

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 87 posts

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 AM

*That* is a beautiful mod. Is that a power supply case? I like how you've carried over the theme of the metal band along with the switches. What mechanism did you implement internally below the switches?

#12 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,999 posts

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 AM

*That* is a beautiful mod. Is that a power supply case? I like how you've carried over the theme of the metal band along with the switches. What mechanism did you implement internally below the switches?

Thanks. Posted Image

That one (mine) was built into a 1064 case. I constructed a platform for the buttons, thus:

1064 SIO2SD.jpg

The badge was quite a job. I tracked down a supplier who cut me some aluminium strips of the appropriate width, and then printed a mirror image of the logo design onto photo paper using a laser printer. Then I use the "toner transfer" method commonly used for home-made PCB designs: basically I ironed the design onto the aluminium. It's far from perfect, since "SIO2SD" should be written in a lighter font. I'll do it again one day.

I did a PSU conversion for another AA member:

PSU SIO2SD.jpg

I used the same toner transfer technique, this time for a smaller 800XL style badge (not yet attached in this photo).

I really like the neat wiring inside yours. Mine usually look fairly ugly inside. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat, Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:44 AM.

#13 orpheuswaking OFFLINE  

orpheuswaking

Quadrunner

• 5,655 posts
  • Lone Raider Time!

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:23 PM

I wish I were that handy... I would love to put my SIO2SD in a case just like that... Anyone want to build one for me :D

#14 erazmus OFFLINE  

erazmus

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 87 posts

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:10 PM

I really like the idea of the 1064 - never thought of it before.

Where did you get those switches from? They look like 800XL keyboard switches, but they seem to have a real physical switch body to them. THe ones I have are just plungers that push down on a membrane underneath, so I had to manufacture an assembly that pushed the plunger down on to a surface-mount switch that I put underneath.

The aluminum band adds a nice touch. The 1064 already has the groove in place for this band. I briefly investigated methods to add such a band to my case, but couldn't come up with anything that would look 'factory'.

Maybe my next SIO2SD will have to go in a 1064.

#15 walter_J64bit OFFLINE  

walter_J64bit

Quadrunner

• 5,074 posts

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:02 PM

Sexy mods for the SIO2SD :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#16 Havok69 OFFLINE  

Havok69

Dragonstomper

• 910 posts

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:34 PM

Very nice! I used my 1030 to house a USB SIO2PC. I like the buttons on yours, much sexier than mine!

#17 telengard OFFLINE  

telengard

Moonsweeper

• 461 posts

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:55 PM

I really want to redo mine. It's just in a Radio Shack project box. These look very well done!

~telengard

#18 wood_jl OFFLINE  

wood_jl

Quadrunner

• 6,885 posts

Posted Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:27 AM

You guys are totally over-the-top awesome with your SIO2SD case mods! Bravo!

I'm just sad that I lack the requisite skills to have my own!

But, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting the pics. You know we love pics!!!

#19 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,999 posts

Posted Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:41 AM

I wish I were that handy... I would love to put my SIO2SD in a case just like that... Anyone want to build one for me Posted Image

If you allow time for me to get current jobs out of the way, I could oblige. :)

I really like the idea of the 1064 - never thought of it before.

Where did you get those switches from? They look like 800XL keyboard switches, but they seem to have a real physical switch body to them. THe ones I have are just plungers that push down on a membrane underneath, so I had to manufacture an assembly that pushed the plunger down on to a surface-mount switch that I put underneath.

There's a particular model of 800XL keyboard which has those barrel-shaped bases under the keys. They're soldered to the PCB via two pins and are easily removed.

The aluminum band adds a nice touch. The 1064 already has the groove in place for this band. I briefly investigated methods to add such a band to my case, but couldn't come up with anything that would look 'factory'.

I had this problem when doing the PSU mod. I didn't have the tools to make a recess for the 800XL style badge, so I just had to glue it to the case, proud of the surface.

#20 Stephen ONLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 6,715 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:05 AM

I wish I were that handy... I would love to put my SIO2SD in a case just like that... Anyone want to build one for me Posted Image

If you allow time for me to get current jobs out of the way, I could oblige. :)

NO - the GUI must be finished first :twisted:

#21 gozar OFFLINE  

gozar

Dragonstomper

• 841 posts

Posted Sun Jan 4, 2015 9:55 AM

Has anyone put the sio2sd in a 1050 and keep the 1050 functioning? I'd hate to destroy something that was working (even as useless as a 1030).

#22 commander OFFLINE  

commander

Space Invader

• 43 posts

Posted Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:29 AM

thanks to flashjazzcat for the inspiration and the Atari 1064, I done it too :-)
I used a cheap sio2sd from lotharek and a RGB Led 

and here we go

http://wolfsoft.de/wordpress/?p=2649

sio2sd_atari_1064case_1.jpg

sio2sd_atari_1064case_2.jpg

sio2sd_atari_1064case_3.jpg

#23 orpheuswaking OFFLINE  

orpheuswaking

Quadrunner

• 5,655 posts
  • Lone Raider Time!

Posted Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:36 AM

thanks to flashjazzcat for the inspiration and the Atari 1064, I done it too :-)
I used a cheap sio2sd from lotharek and a RGB Led 

and here we go

http://wolfsoft.de/wordpress/?p=2649

sio2sd_atari_1064case_1.jpg

sio2sd_atari_1064case_2.jpg

sio2sd_atari_1064case_3.jpg

ARGHHHHHHH not a 1064 :/ 

I'm usually cool with 1030s as they come up often, but I've been searching for a reasonably prices 1064 for ages and you went and killed one 

#24 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 3,745 posts

Posted Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:35 AM

Forgive them for they know not what they do.... I cried a little inside.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users