IGNORED

New case for my SIO2SD

erazmus

After a few weeks of work, I just finished my new case for my SIO2SD. I was originally looking for an XM301 modem to use as a case, but it doesn't really match with my XL-series machines and 1050 drives. Digging around in my collection, I found a 1030 modem, and decided that it would make a good donor for a case that matches the XL series machines.

I also sacrificed an 800XL keyboard function keys to give me buttons that fit with the theme. The 1030 has 2 SIO jacks, which means that my SIO2SD no longer has to be the last device in the chain. Here are a few pictures if you're interested.

post-22339-129584822503_thumb.jpg

post-22339-129584847033_thumb.jpg

post-22339-129584847686_thumb.jpg

post-22339-129584848393_thumb.jpg

post-22339-129584849292_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice... I've still got to get around to doing mine.

I take it you've removed the buttons on it also.

From the main SIO2SD board, I removed the buttons, the LEDs, and the SD card slot. I purchased a new SD card slot (with a push-in-push-out action) and mounted it to the front of the 1030 case. I also mounted a couple of LEDs to the front of the 1030 case, where the original LEDs on the modem were, and wired these to the first two LEDs on the SIO2SD board.

I wanted switches that would match the theme, so I hacked apart a 800XL keyboard. The actual switch contacts are membrane, so they wouldn't work. Instead, I used the keycaps and springs from the function keys, and put some small surface-mount switches on the board directly below.

I am very happy with the way this project turned out, even though it took much longer than I thought.

Very nice. The buttons definitely give it that retro early 80's authentic look.

Since you are using a larger enclosure, it would be nice if there was an option to use a larger, 4 line display instead of the small 2 line one that the SIO2SD units use.

We were thinking about fitting a 40 character display in one of these:

SIO2SD_XL_1_THM.jpg

However, the screen was too wide for the case. 20 characters seems a nice compromise.

AFAIK, the firmware is set up to use no more than 2 lines, but there's no limit on the horizontal resolution. However, wen choosing a significantly larger backlit display, it may be prudent to consider the additional power consumption.

Edited by flashjazzcat

*That* is a beautiful mod. Is that a power supply case? I like how you've carried over the theme of the metal band along with the switches. What mechanism did you implement internally below the switches?

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

That one (mine) was built into a 1064 case. I constructed a platform for the buttons, thus:

post-21964-129588715692_thumb.jpg

The badge was quite a job. I tracked down a supplier who cut me some aluminium strips of the appropriate width, and then printed a mirror image of the logo design onto photo paper using a laser printer. Then I use the "toner transfer" method commonly used for home-made PCB designs: basically I ironed the design onto the aluminium. It's far from perfect, since "SIO2SD" should be written in a lighter font. I'll do it again one day.

I did a PSU conversion for another AA member:

post-21964-129588715958_thumb.jpg

I used the same toner transfer technique, this time for a smaller 800XL style badge (not yet attached in this photo).

I really like the neat wiring inside yours. Mine usually look fairly ugly inside. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

I really like the idea of the 1064 - never thought of it before.

Where did you get those switches from? They look like 800XL keyboard switches, but they seem to have a real physical switch body to them. THe ones I have are just plungers that push down on a membrane underneath, so I had to manufacture an assembly that pushed the plunger down on to a surface-mount switch that I put underneath.

The aluminum band adds a nice touch. The 1064 already has the groove in place for this band. I briefly investigated methods to add such a band to my case, but couldn't come up with anything that would look 'factory'.

Maybe my next SIO2SD will have to go in a 1064.

I wish I were that handy... I would love to put my SIO2SD in a case just like that... Anyone want to build one for me icon_mrgreen.gif

If you allow time for me to get current jobs out of the way, I could oblige. :)

I really like the idea of the 1064 - never thought of it before.

Where did you get those switches from? They look like 800XL keyboard switches, but they seem to have a real physical switch body to them. THe ones I have are just plungers that push down on a membrane underneath, so I had to manufacture an assembly that pushed the plunger down on to a surface-mount switch that I put underneath.

There's a particular model of 800XL keyboard which has those barrel-shaped bases under the keys. They're soldered to the PCB via two pins and are easily removed.

The aluminum band adds a nice touch. The 1064 already has the groove in place for this band. I briefly investigated methods to add such a band to my case, but couldn't come up with anything that would look 'factory'.

I had this problem when doing the PSU mod. I didn't have the tools to make a recess for the 800XL style badge, so I just had to glue it to the case, proud of the surface.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

thanks to flashjazzcat for the inspiration and the Atari 1064, I done it too :-)

I used a cheap sio2sd from lotharek and a RGB Led

and here we go

http://wolfsoft.de/wordpress/?p=2649

sio2sd_atari_1064case_1.jpg

sio2sd_atari_1064case_2.jpg

sio2sd_atari_1064case_3.jpg

ARGHHHHHHH not a 1064 :/

I'm usually cool with 1030s as they come up often, but I've been searching for a reasonably prices 1064 for ages and you went and killed one

• Like 4