IGNORED

1200xl mods

Havok69

Quick question. I've just got a 1200XL yesterday (my first and only one), just checked the SIO for +5v and it's there, I remember reading that (and even on this thread) 1200XL lacks the +5v on SIO pin 10. Mine doesn't and it's not modded in any way, so am I missing something? (or rather have a nice extra on mine). The mobo is a Revision A. And if it did lack the +5v how did it work with a 1050 drive? As far as i know 1050 needs the 5v coming from pin 10 (or was the 1050 introduced after 1200XL)

Edited by atari8warez

SIO devices need to see +5v on the Ready line. This tells them that the computer is turned on. Some devices are actually powered by the Ready line, which will work on all systems with the exception of the 1200XL. R63 in the 1200XL limits the current on the Ready line to just a few milliamps of current - enough to pull Ready high, not enough to power a circuit. If you will be using things like P:R Connection or MPP printer interfaces on a 1200XL, you need to replace R63.

Yes, you will measure +5v on the Ready line, but you can't power anything useful with it.

Bob

SIO devices need to see +5v on the Ready line. This tells them that the computer is turned on. Some devices are actually powered by the Ready line, which will work on all systems with the exception of the 1200XL. R63 in the 1200XL limits the current on the Ready line to just a few milliamps of current - enough to pull Ready high, not enough to power a circuit. If you will be using things like P:R Connection or MPP printer interfaces on a 1200XL, you need to replace R63.

Yes, you will measure +5v on the Ready line, but you can't power anything useful with it.

Bob

Thanks for the great info, so the article I've read was kind of misleading as it said "lacks the +5v on SIO 10", now everything makes more sense, so R63 has to go :)

By the way Bob, i just did your 3 point video mod (plus the chroma) and the video looks much better now, not quite as good as the stock 130XE but good enough not to bother with the rest of the Clearpic (second edition) mod. Thank you for the very useful tip.

Edited by atari8warez