IGNORED

Are sealed systems really worth the high price tag?

Rev

These auctions got me thinking about the appeal of a buying a retro sealed system. Me personally would never pay this much for a sealed system. I would rather just have a nice clean working system(or 20 ;)) and spend the rest on games, even if i have the money.

A sealed Intellivision System Changer for 287.00 eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2507611497611?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250761149761&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

A sealed Intellivision System for 456.00 eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3206465581811?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=320646558181&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Even a sealed Atari 2600 6 switch for 560.00! eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2207248936891?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=220724893689&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Edited by revolutionika

IMO: no. Not only do you not really know indeed if it's originally sealed or not (we ARE talking about ePay, so chances are NOT), but there's a real possibility that the unit in question might not work. Could be it was defective from the get go or died sitting all these years. Happens with capacitors all the time. Switch contacts too. Who knows how or what kind of environment they've been stored in all these years.

'Course, I'm speaking practically. Collectors that blow their wad over stuff like this have their own reasons. After all, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder icon_wink.gif

I shall be ambiguous with a yes and no... a huge resounding "maybe"!

It depends on the system...

I would go insane on bidding for an sealed Commodore SX-64. But an Amiga 2600? Not so much...

The only reason to own a sealed NIB system is for historical purposes.

But any open system... you play the hell out of! :D

Edited by the-topdog

As the not so proud owner of one of those auctions, icon_mrgreen.gif here are my thoughts....

For me, having collected for 11-12 years, I literally find I'm running out of things to add to my collection. I have play copies of everything I want for the INTV (except for Spiker as mine is sealed), and so I find I want to build up my collection by adding unusual or rare items more so for their collectability than anything else. That often means sealed stuff.

While most days I find I have time to at least play something on one of my systems, there are certainly days where I just sit and admire my collection, or re-arrange it or sort through it or make want lists or whatever, and the visual appeal of the sealed items certainly factors in to this part of my enjoyment of my hobby. I'm sure for many of us we are getting to buy stuff we couldn't afford as a kid or didn't have and the idea that a 30 year old system hasn't even been opened I just find cool.

There is also an element of "the chase" that appeals to me, finding that perfect boxed system and ticking it off my want list I find gratifying on some level. Besides that, I can be quite...ummm...competitive, so I get a kick out of winning some of the auctions as well, although admittedly that usually results in a classic overpay. icon_mrgreen.gif

My $0.02. icon_smile.gif

I would go insane on bidding for an sealed Commodore SX-64. But an Amiga 2600? Not so much...

I would go insane bidding on that. Do you have any idea how rare an Amiga 2600 must be. :o

I would go insane bidding on that. Do you have any idea how rare an Amiga 2600 must be. :o

DOH! **palm-face** I meant Atari of course :D ... just have Commodore on the brain I guess :)

These auctions got me thinking about the appeal of a buying a retro sealed system. Me personally would never pay this much for a sealed system. I would rather just have a nice clean working system(or 20 ;)) and spend the rest on games, even if i have the money.

A sealed Intellivision System Changer for 287.00 eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2507611497611?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250761149761&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

A sealed Intellivision System for 456.00 eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3206465581811?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=320646558181&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Even a sealed Atari 2600 6 switch for 560.00! eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2207248936891?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=220724893689&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I can understand wanting a near mint system in a nice box with little to no damage and even paying extra for that, but the sealed thing still leaves me shaking my head. Just like the folks that use the grading services where they slap a game in a case that will never be opened. I just don't get it and never will. To each their own I guess when it comes to collecting. I've been collecting now for 22 years and have never sought out something just because it's sealed. It'll always be a mystery to me.

Edited by Atari_Bill

I'm a gamer way before I'm a collector. The stuff I own is there to play with. I can't conceive spending a huge amount of cash on something that will just sit on a shelf and never be used. Even as an investment, hoping that in the future it will be worth even more. Besides I REALLY get a kick out of doing teardown/cleanups of the consoles and games as I get them. I'm almost willing to say its more fun to work on them than it is to play with them. Can't do either with a SIB.

I'm a gamer way before I'm a collector. The stuff I own is there to play with. I can't conceive spending a huge amount of cash on something that will just sit on a shelf and never be used. Even as an investment, hoping that in the future it will be worth even more. Besides I REALLY get a kick out of doing teardown/cleanups of the consoles and games as I get them. I'm almost willing to say its more fun to work on them than it is to play with them. Can't do either with a SIB.

I totally agree. I'd rather pay a ton for a system I'm going to use, who wants to pay for something that they can only stare at and wipe the dust off?

I'm of the same mind. Odds are good with some places that 'sealed' merely means they resealed it on their end. I'm also adding to my collection with the express purpose of putting systems and games to their intended use, which is to be played, so I'm not likely to spend any more money on a 'sealed' system or game than I would for the same item that was merely 'complete in box'.

I bought a handful of Atari games CIB at a thrift store a year or so back. A number of them were actually still sealed. But at $3 a game, I couldn't ignore the value. And yes, I did break the glue seals and remove shrink wrap. :love: